Pregnant Stray - New to This!?! Advice Appreciated!

BloomIsMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This cat has come around once before to my building. I saw her again tonight and noticed she's obviously pregnant. When feeling her stomach when she lets me, she has a large lump in the center of her stomach that is soft. She has fleas and I bought frontline plus drops for her. I have not applied them just in case I shouldn't but I read that it is safe for pregnant cats and I also read that getting rid of the fleas before she gives birth is crucial.

I'm not sure when a shelter will be able to take her in since it's the weekend and most shelters are closed or don't pick up the phone. She is super friendly and has energy. Just not sure what I can do for her until I find a place she can stay. (I found a no-kill kitty sanctuary nearby but awaiting response from them) I have two cats already so I cannot keep her :(

Also, this cat is YOUNG! My sister says she's probably under a year old. Her nipples are enlarged and the sides of her belly stick out. She is definitely pregnant!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can definitely apply the Frontline Plus drops while you wait to hear from a rescue.

Hopefully they’ll take her this week so she’ll have a safe place to have her babies. It’s great she is friendly so you’ll be able to get her in a carrier.

Thanks for caring enough to feed her and get her to a safe place. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BloomIsMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since she's in the bathroom to be separated from my other cats, is it risky to apply the frontline plus since I can't watch her if she licks the areas I put the drops in? I thought I read something that said to not let them lick those areas. So I'm worried she will lick them since she's staying in the bathroom and we can't be with her in there all day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Frontline only goes in one place, and that is the back of the neck between the shoulder blades. You part the fur and apply the tube to this spot only on her skin. She cannot reach that place to lick, but you should check on her regardless so she’s not 100% alone all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BloomIsMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I check on her to brush some fleas out and give her some company. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.