Pregnant stray help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momma woke me up again at 6am moving kittens out of the box to lay them back out on the bed. I'm confused. I thought they like the kittens to be covered and hidden away. Is there something I'm not doing right? Also one of the kittens seem to have already learned momma's trilling sound. It was what woke me up first since it was a new noise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She clearly wants them where she put them, and not in the box. I would let her be for now. It's not good for her to keep moving them.

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She moved them again onto the floor in the corner. I don't understand why she's moving them. She shows no signs of stress or worry. I came to check on her, she was nursing, everything normal. The next I look in, she has them moved to the floor. I'm worried about having the kittens out in the open on the floor. I haven't exactly 'kitty-proofed' my whole room.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She moved them again onto the floor in the corner. I don't understand why she's moving them. She shows no signs of stress or worry. I came to check on her, she was nursing, everything normal. The next I look in, she has them moved to the floor. I'm worried about having the kittens out in the open on the floor. I haven't exactly 'kitty-proofed' my whole room.
I don't know why she's doing it. A cat outside would do that, I think, so that they didn't stay too long in one spot & be vulnerable to predators. I wonder if her atavistic tendencies are making her do this? I wouldn't worry about it.

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She moved them again which I think is because I've been handling them more to combat their goopy eyes but she's moved them beside my bed, right next to me so I'm not sure. My new question (and I'm sorry I have so many questions but this site is so helpful!) is momma now seems to be feeding them in short bursts. Short but often I guess. Like she's being impatient. They'll be three weeks on Saturday. Is this normal? Could they be teething and maybe it's making her uncomfortable? Is it possibly time to start weaning? they haven't started using the bathroom on they're own yet and only two of them are walking semi-confidently.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, it's too early to wean. They may be teething and it bothers her. Have you been applying olive or coconut oil to her nipples?

It sounds like they are nursing well.

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The white one (I've been calling him Walt because he has spots that sorta make a Mickey Mouse shape lol) definitely has teeth coming in.
I have not, we don't have any at the moment. Would canola oil work or is it better/safer to just get coconut or olive?

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. I'll get that. When should I start to introduce wet food to them? They'll be four weeks on Saturday, all of them have their teeth. Do I wait until they're using the bathroom on their own?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can begin trying mushy wt food at 4 weeks, but most kittens do better at 5 weeks.

You start putting them in the litter box once they are eating soft solids.

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the kittens don't seem to be feeding. I haven't seen them nurse for a couple of hours now. The other all have at least twice now. I have no car or way to the store for the milk replacement. Should I be concerned? Is there something in house I can do or offer her??

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other three are fine. They're all nursing as normal, walking and playing. Two of them have even begun trying to climb things. One does seem to be nursing a whole lot more than the others though. Like if momma is down, he's there.

xlastpetalfalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's always been a little mommas boy too lol he's even the nipple bully in the group but he's also the smallest now. I already pegged him as the runt though but now I'm worried after losing my little bit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as he is eating well and gaining weight he should be okay. Have you been weighing them to check gains?