Pregnant Stray Decided She Lives Here Now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like things are progressing well. Love the halloween blankets. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A64B7E56-B79C-4D41-844B-1517B980937A.jpeg

William Shakespurr “Willy”
E553B51D-A733-4504-8B53-7A52EC322D9C.jpeg

Winnifurr Sanderson “Winny”
F07FB50A-C6AB-4CAD-BD75-209B2FE39609.jpeg

Cat Benetar “Bennie”
EAE72BFF-6883-4BCB-99F5-622C553EEAF0.jpeg

Catticus Finch “Finchy”
It has been so long, I am so sorry! Draco and Hunter went to their forever homes a few weeks ago and they are both doing wonderfully. I added the new owners on Facebook and it is super exciting to see them in their new homes. Willy is still with us, we kept him back because he started to show some food aggression so we have been working with him on that, but we think he is sorted and he is up for adoption too.

In related news, we had a little black striped girl brought to us on Halloween weekend. We named her Winnifurr Sanderson since we were watching that movie when we got the call. She was found on the side of the freeway, but loves affection and ate like a champ from that first day.

We also had our first TNR and rescued three kittens from a trash can along with the mama. Sadly, one was malformed in the rib cage so we took her in and they had to put her down, but the other two are doing smashingly! We named the tabby girl Cat Benetar and the little grey boy Catticus Finch. We are having fun with the names. :) I’ll get some pic of the new babies on here too.

Everyone has reached the end of quarantine (when there was a cat in almost every spare room in the house) and they all get along well in the cat room. We are using Facebook to try to advertise the babies, and they are all on the shelter info as well. We have signed up to be fosters for them after this. I have gotten used the patter of little paws and think I would miss it too much were it gone.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome update!

How is the trash can mama doing? Is she still with you?

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
94E21D8D-5809-4323-AF9C-1CBCF6E53118.jpeg
We named her Margaret Scratcher and decided since the kittens were about 7 weeks old that we would TNR her and socialize the kittens. She was lovely, but very distressed anytime someone was in the room, it was even a little difficult to get food and water in the large kennel with her at times.

Her two babies are doing amazing. Although neither of them will demand love and attention like the other two (we call them the “friendlies”) they will accept affection when given and we have not had a hissy fit in a couple weeks. They were just introduced to the cat room last week after we isolated for a few weeks and they fit in like a dream. In my relax time I like to go in and just watch them play in the tunnels we built out of the spare moving boxes we had.

They are both small, smaller than Winny and I guestimate they are at least 2 or 3 weeks older. They eat like champs though. It did take a few weeks for them to realize that food was always going to be there and they didn’t have to wack it all down at once.

Winny is a dream kitten, as soon as you go in the room she is trying to climb pants and get to the love and she sounds like a tiny outboard motor going full tilt. If you just look at her right she starts to purr and if you don’t give her love she uses her little voice to tell you all about her displeasure. She is an interesting patterned little girl too. In most lights she looks black, but in bright lights and sunshine you can see little ginger stripes going very faintly down her body. She also has huge paws for her size, they almost look like little kitten gloves.

Willy was actually the last to purr properly. He kind of took all of the love and attention as his due until the other babies showed up. Now he has to wait a little longer for his cuddle time and I think it has made him appreciate it a bit more. He is still my favorite face. So persnickety! I love it.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are. There is a small park across the street from me and on the opposite corner. Some neighborhood kids told me about the kittens in the trash so I went over to take a look and trapped her fairly easily. Poor girl was hungry and in less than 10 minutes she was in the trap. Unfortunately I grabbed Finch first without thinking and he bit clear through the end of my thumb. Lesson learned there! Luckily I had the presence of mind to not let go and my girlfriend came to the rescue with a towel. Bennie and the little angel we named Winky the Housecat were both so terrified they came along peacefully and no more blood was drawn that day.

In other news, we are the official neighborhood cat ladies.

Since her release we go over and fill bowls of food before I start work every day. The eventual plan is to trap the other cats that come to rely on the daily feedings and get them through TNR as well. We have several big toms in the vicinity I would like to get hands (well, traps) on. We have a great place here that does ferals for free. We did opt to get her the pain shot and the ten year rabies shot which cost a few bucks, but I think that if I were in that situation I would want drugs as well! We hadn’t planned on actually starting the TNR part until after the holidays, but sadly, the universe does not care about my timelines. Best laid plans eh?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice work! :)

I agree that all spayed adult cats need pain meds, so that was a good call.

I actually recommend 3 days of pain meds for females if possible.

I applaud your TNR work. It will hopefully prevent more "trash can" kittens!

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought 24 hours was not quite enough for what amounts to a major surgery, but that was all that was available with the feral options. They told us to keep her for two days, since we had the big kennel free I went ahead and made it a week to be safe. She was not a fan of the kennel by the end of it. I have caught just a couple of quick grey flashes in the bushes that I THINK are her.. but it’s hard to tell. She was a lovely kitty, I wish we could have found her sooner and been able to work with her.

Thank you, and on a personal note thank you again for always being here. Not just this post but I see you all over here giving out really solid advice. Know it’s appreciated.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s brilliant what you and your girlfriend are doing ! Thank you I recall your first post implying you’d not really had cats before - now look at you

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s true. If you had told me six months ago that I was going to be the neighborhood cat lady I would have thought you were high. I’ve never disliked cats I’m an animal lover all around, but I didn’t see this happening. I am a firm believer in the universe directing me to the place I need to be. After Dany, and then Winny coming in the weekend of Halloween and the ferals the next week I believe the universe wants me to save lives. I wish we had more room, more resources, and more time. We do what we can. I’ll tell you though. Sitting in the kitten room and being the human cat tree is better than therapy. We have truly had joy brought into this home with these little ones.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is wonderful. She has gotten a little meat on her bones and has never been softer or shinier. Still super affectionate and has taken to all of the new kittens like a dream. She doesn’t have any milk left, but she groomed the ferals after they were introduced and let them try to nurse. If nothing else I figure she is a good stand in mother figure for them since theirs is too feral to try to socialize. She has been fixed so there will be no more babies. She has a wonderful maternal instinct in her, so she can help with the foster babies provided they are healthy. With so many kittens coming our way at once we decided to quarantine everyone for two weeks before we did any introductions.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! We have found a forever home for our little Finchy! He will be meeting his new family on Sunday morning and if all goes well we will be leaving him at his new digs! They have a friend that is looking for a kitten for the holidays too, so Bennie (his sister) may have a home as well!! DAB75AEB-1B52-4D60-9494-813878C4BC09.jpeg
Finch
EFDC3FD6-37AC-4788-B511-A6F49594EAE2.jpeg
Bennie- and the laundry chair in the background. Lol

**Update**

They are both going and will be neighbors!!!!

Last edited:

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys. Guys. There is a cat that is identical to Dany at our shelter. I’m in love. I’ve never taken an adult foster and was working with them to take another mama and kittens when we have room after these two go. We could put new mama into the x-large kennel in our bedroom that held the ferals during isolation and put the grey girl into the cat room.. but I am a little unsure about bringing her in without being able to isolate her. She has been at the shelter for 4 days..maybe she can sit out the next 10 days there? Dany, Willy and Winny have all been vaccinated now (Willy and Willy have not had rabies yet, but it’s highly doubtful she is rabid). She is such a sweet face and I would like to give her a chance to get out of those little cages... but I don’t know. I am worried she won’t get along, will bing illness..who knows. I am stressball sometimes. Thoughts?

On a side note, I seriously considered going home on the spot to make sure Dany was there when I saw her. She has such strikingly similar markings on the face and if she didn’t have one little black dot under her chin she could be a twin. I will have to make sure that I keep a collar on Dany so I don’t find a home for the wrong cat!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG finch’s hair is adorable ! Beautiful long haired .. I’m not sure re isolation regards the Dany lookalike and hopefully others with experience with fosters can comment !

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bennie went home with a really sweet couple tonight and I think she is going to be a happy happy kitty! I am happy and sad and all of the feels right now! I know I have to let them go. If I don’t I can’t help more.. but darned if I didn’t get kind of attached when she started to love the cuddles. Good luck my darling little girl! :goodluck::hearthrob::redheartpump:
6498242B-E97A-4F4F-B979-020E5D1CF024.jpeg

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember you saved her and if it wasn’t for you she would not have her forever home! Here’s to hopefully one of many success stories . Well done :hyper:

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was a good time too! The universe knows it’s stuff. Not three hours after we had left Bennie with her new forever family I was called with an emergency kitten find. “I can’t keep her, can you take her?” Absolutely. Bring her over, we will fine her a home. So... introducing Eartha Kitten!
7B73BC83-BD3A-4FA1-9700-F8ECCC0A6E12.jpeg

She is a sweet little motorboat that I guestimate is 12-14 weeks old and in need of some food and love. I believe she is what is called a Tabbico she looks mostly tabby with some random orange splotches almost interrupting her tabby stripes. She was not fond of the bedroom kennel last night, but she will have to be given a clean bill of health before she can be introduced into the kitten room.