Pregnant Stray Decided She Lives Here Now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ointment was just delivered (thanks Amazon!) and I have applied to Hunter and William. They both did not like it at all, but I know it will help so we just have to deal with a little bit of fussing as we put it on. Hunter had both eyes closed this morning and William had just one. Dracos eyes were fully open with no gook so I didn't treat her this morning, I'll keep and eye out for goop, but I think she has escaped this with no infection so far.

Dany is getting restless and harder to keep in her room as we go in and out so we have had to start a system with the doors to make sure she can't get outside. I can go into the house from the office and then outside for smoke breaks so I have blocked the door outside for now and I make sure the front door is closed before I come out. Draco was just dropped on me so I'll get some cuddlepics

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eyes are already looking a little better. That stuff is magic! I do have a question... Dany was fine with me taking the kittens out for eye treatments even though they fussed quite a bit. It was much like a weighing session in that regard. When I put them back she cleaned off their faces and has to be ingesting some of that ointment in the process. Will this make her ill? I could hold the kitten treated for a little while after, but I am reluctant to take them away from her for a time when she is not expressly dropping the kitten off for "daycare" (this is what the girlfriend has termed kitten gifts). I thought about just rotating them through as she drops them, but I get Sir William far more than the others and one day didn't get a Hunter dropped on me at all, so this is not really a reliable time table to work on. I would like to think that I would be able to keep track that way, but I lose my glasses on top of my head regularly.. so that is probably not the case.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also like to add I greatly appreciate all of the great advice and support from y'all. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to think that a group of strangers on the internet are all rooting for Dany and the babies. There are many of you, not only in this thread but in this whole forum that have given great advice and I want to say thank you. :hellocomputer::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump::rock::thanks::worship::woohoo::banana2::jump:

Oh my god there are so many emojis.. there goes my ADD.... OO LOOK SHINY!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love reading threads like this especially when written so well that I can imagine Dany wondering around dropping kids off at daycare ! I've not had experience with the ointment however one would think it would be safe - especially if people do use on cats who do clean themselves so often . Somebody who has used it will hopefully comment

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have really been trying to get a video of her doing it, but she seems to wait until I am engrossed in work and then I just feel a warm furry lump drop on my toes. Once I was alerted by a tiny squeal under the desk and she was already gone. I like thinking of them as gifts, but GF thinks of it as her telling me it's my turn.

Another friend posited that she might just be trying to move them under the desk because it's dark and usually protected by a large mammal (me), which makes a lot of sense.. but I prefer the narratives we have come up with. This particular friend does not have pets, so we have concluded that he just doesn't understand. He also made a little fun of me saying that she makes different sounds for different needs and I believe that to be absolutely true. I want food meows are much louder and more insistent than I want love mews or just the little trills she makes when she is wandering the house with me.

Edit: Spelling whoopsie

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom licks the ointment it won't hurt her.

Put the ointment on the kittens' eyes at the same time twice a day each day without regard to mom dropping them off to you.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha hilarious! I think the nice gifts is far better! Gracie trills and chirps with me and I never thought she meowed until my partner advised me she does with him . I never believed him until I hid behind the door when they were in another room and there she was meowing !!! Apparently they only meow to humans so I sadly like to believe she thinks of me as mother cat lol

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur-Fantastic. Will do as suggested and make it part of the weight routine.

Daisy- I love that she thinks of you like her mama cat! I do get meows, so I suppose I am just the human co-parent with partial custody. LOL. I am still trying to think of a pattern in the kitten drop offs, but they really seem to be random and without some serious cat psychology I doubt I can ever know. She does do it more often in the early morning when I start working or after dinner when she has been closed in by herself for awhile. So it's also possible this is her way of telling me she is lonely, or fed up, or overwhelmed. I could speculate all day.. I like trying to figure her out.

If any of y'all are interested I made a post about the pups in the "Other Pets" section. Ya'll have head all about Loki and his exploits.. I thought it might be fun to see their faces and get a better picture of all of the troublemakers in this little house.
Here is the link: The Other Kids

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dany and the babies are doing great. I realized there is another grey and white stray that is about the same size as Dany..but very frightened. She (maybe she) came up and was eating out of the can I put outside for one of the male cats in the neighborhood (he already has the ear tip). I have been looking into TNR this morning for her.. but I was hoping for some tips? Maybe I should start a post in the appropriate section? I didn't wanna start too many.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This thread is fine. What do you want to do - catch and release or bring her in and see if she is adoptable?

I always prefer bringing them in if possible. So much healthier and safer.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to see if she is adoptable. I think the shelter we are working with for the kittens can help me with adopting out, if she is friendly and gets along with Dany I am willing to foster until he can find them forever homes. I have talked to the girlfriend and although not thrilled with the idea she is amenable to letting me feed my protective instinct. It is my office that will be the cat room. :)

The big guy out there is decidedly not friendly so he will likely be a TNR. I caught him licking the last of the food out of the dish and he hissed and ran almost immediately. Poor guy. :( I have been reading up on the process and it sounds like a great idea. He is happy in his outdoor home and after we get his parts removed can lounge around as he likes. This is is definitely a boy... he shows it with well too...lol. Never did I think I would be so interested in cat gender.. I blame Dany.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope you can bring the cat in ASAP. Let us know what happens.

Poor tomcat!

Sounds like you need to put more food out! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be careful about introducing a new cat to Dany and the babies. You will need to make sure the new cat is totally healthy first.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are ordering the trap today...but I am having this one shipped standard.. overnight costs were killer. I have talked the girlfriend into letting me grab an extra case of wet food and we can use some of the massive bag of dry too. I popped a can of the pate type food out there for now.. Dany didn't like those so we put them aside.

I also have come up with a bit of an idea to raise money for this. I love crafting and used to do rummage sales so I could get rid of the extra stuff. We did little candy dishes for a while and I think with some adjustment we can do little cat bowls and sell them for this. The profit margin was always pretty good.. not enough to support a household, but just maybe enough to support a TNR program and provide some food for the cats here without draining us.

Gee.. I wish I knew how to do things by half measures.. luckily one of the ladies of the neighborhood was a talking about a program like this a few months ago. I have emailed her to see if she would be interested in collaborating on our rescue efforts. I could probably afford to get her a trap too.. it wasn't too expensive. She mentioned that there are quite a lot on her side of the block, so this could be a new outlet for creative energy.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
New kitty will not be with Dany until she/he/cat face has a clean bill of health. I don't think this is going to be a quick process.. but if it turns out to be we can utilize the bathroom as well.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hunter and Lady Draco have started walking on their own today. It's too funny, they look like tiny drunk kittens. Willy is still mostly scooting around still.. but I have seen him stand on his own so I am starting to think that he is just lazy. They are all gaining like mad and I need to find a bigger bowl to weigh them in. It's getting harder and harder to keep wiggly kittens still! They are all starting to get their own little personalities.
Hunter: Hunter is our little rebel like his namesake. He was the first to do everything and today was the first to make it out of the box by himself. We ended up building a bit of a blanket barrier that mom can still easily get over. In another week or so I am thinking we will need to build a kitten corral. He will flop over to get belly rubs and has even started what we think of as playing when he is out of the nest.

Lady Draco: It turns out that Draco is a girl, so we have adjusted to Lady Draco instead. :-) She is still the girlfriends very favorite and is the chillest kitten ever. She makes no noise when you pick her up, and just likes to cuddle. A friend has already called her and will be adopting her from the shelter as soon as they are fixed and vaccinated. They are great with their existing animals so I know she will be in an excellent home and she will be well taken care of and spoiled rotten in no time... and GF will still be able to see her on occasion.

William: Willy is the oldest but the biggest baby. He is the one that cries as soon as he is not near mama and fusses the whole time he is held. He is not much for playing or cuddling yet, but we are working on it. I think he will be a bit of a standoffish type cat.. which is totally okay. They are all very special in their own ways.

Mama is doing wonderful. I still get kitten gifts, but they are starting to drop off in frequency. She is so small I think that they might be getting a little too hefty for her to life well. We watched her drop Willy twice before I went over and grabbed him from her right outside of the box.

Eyes are looking great, I think ears have opened at least partially because they are starting to respond to voices. Pics to follow.. I tried to get one of Willy too... but I kept getting a kitten blur.. He would be perfectly still right until I tried to take the pic.. So I'll try again tomorrow. Night ya'll!

IMG_3102.JPG
Kitten Pile!

IMG_3103.JPG
Hunter on a stroll
IMG_3104.JPG
Lady Draco Face!

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Photo dump!
IMG_3119.JPG
The boys playing
IMG_3124.JPG
Little Willy face!
IMG_3127.JPG
Lady Draco surveying her domain
IMG_3122.JPG
What is sister doing?
IMG_3128.JPG
Sweet Hunter face
IMG_3130.JPG
All three babies
IMG_3132.JPG
Hunter had some one on one cuddle time after Dany nosed the door open and brought him to the living room
IMG_3134.JPG
Hunter starting to clean himself. Everything goes in that mouth!!