Pregnant stray cat still hasn’t given birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nmcnl

genevieve, nova, ash, & fizz
Young Cat
Purraise
another thing that’s worrying me is that ash tries to dart out of the bathroom door every time i come in or go out. i’m almost positive she’s going to attack my other two cats if she gets out because she is extremely protective over her kittens with anyone other than me. she even hisses when she hears a dog bark outside. i can shut the other two in my bedroom if you guys don’t have any better solutions, but they cry the entire time they’re locked in there, so i’d rather try something else considering i stay in there with her for hours at a time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs a break from the bathroom here and there - at least once a day. Your other cats can cope with being put in a room for a short spell so Ash can catch a break.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
i am letting her out for a little while everyday without the other cats, but i stay in the bathroom with her for around 3 or 4 hours every day too. she’s extremely affectionate so i spend as much time as i can with her. i’m going to try getting a big cardboard wardrobe box then using it as a little entryway so she (hopefully) can’t dart out every time i open the door.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
i usually let her roam around and play for however long she wants then let the other cats out whenever she decides to go back to her kittens :)

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I found a pregnant stray kitty about a month ago and her 7 kittens are now a little over 2 weeks old. I’m having a lot of trouble identifying which is which, because 6 of them look identical, so I’d love some advise on how to tell them apart!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! I found another thread on this site that might give you some ideas!
how do i tell identical kittens apart? | TheCatSite

I also read somewhere else (can't remember where now) to use non-toxic markers and make a spot on the inside of their ears!

I am sure other members will come along soon with some more ideas!

Share some pics of your little ones which you get a chance!!

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I found another thread on this site that might give you some ideas!
how do i tell identical kittens apart? | TheCatSite

I also read somewhere else (can't remember where now) to use non-toxic markers and make a spot on the inside of their ears!

I am sure other members will come along soon with some more ideas!

Share some pics of your little ones which you get a chance!!
thank you so much!! do you have any recommendations for the marker? i don’t want to risk their mom getting sick from licking it off, so i want to make sure it’s safe for her. here’s a pic of them!!
609569E8-BCB7-46BB-B17F-514135720DAB.jpeg

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
hi again! the kittens are doing well and walking around exploring everything, but ash tried to move them out of the bathroom when i let them out yesterday. i put them back, but should i go ahead and introduce ash to the other two cats since she seems to want them in the living room? she’s still pretty protective, so i’m not sure how it will go, but i’m not sure what to do if she moves them out either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad the hear the 'crew' is doing well! Not sure why she is trying to move them. Normally, that would infer there is something about where they are at that is bothering her. Have any ideas/thought about that aspect? It could be because you are allowing them to roam other places and so she would like to roam with them and sees some other placement options. Probably not a good idea just yet.

Can you give her another location and move them all from the bathroom? I would give her some other options for moving them around in that new location- but, not outside of it. You really need to get this baby/mama phase closer to the end of its journey and then consider proper introductions between mama and your other cats.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Glad the hear the 'crew' is doing well! Not sure why she is trying to move them. Normally, that would infer there is something about where they are at that is bothering her. Have any ideas/thought about that aspect? It could be because you are allowing them to roam other places and so she would like to roam with them and sees some other placement options. Probably not a good idea just yet.

Can you give her another location and move them all from the bathroom? I would give her some other options for moving them around in that new location- but, not outside of it. You really need to get this baby/mama phase closer to the end of its journey and then consider proper introductions between mama and your other cats.
thanks for the advice! i usually sit on the couch for a little while i’m hanging out with her after the kittens go back in their box to nap, so i think she was just trying to get them closer to me. she likes to let me watch them while she takes a break, so maybe that’s why. i’d love to be able to have her out all the time. i’ll wait to introduce them for now, though. when do you think might be a good time for that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are 4 weeks old today - prime time for them to begin to slowly explore outside the bathroom. In another week or two they will not want to be in the bathroom at all, except maybe to sleep.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 4 weeks old today - prime time for them to begin to slowly explore outside the bathroom. In another week or two they will not want to be in the bathroom at all, except maybe to sleep.
so does that mean i should go ahead and start to introduce ash to the other two? i’m so excited about them starting to explore and become more active!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mama would most likely attack your other cats right now, they are very protective. How is the little one's tail? She will most likely be pointed, or have darkened feet, muzzle, tail, and ears. They always start out white. The kink in her tail could be a genetic fault linked to Siamese.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Mama would most likely attack your other cats right now, they are very protective. How is the little one's tail? She will most likely be pointed, or have darkened feet, muzzle, tail, and ears. They always start out white. The kink in her tail could be a genetic fault linked to Siamese.
it isn’t causing any issues and it’s adorable! i love the little crooked tail. white kitty is definitely pointed. his/her ears, tail, nose, and paws are turning gray :)

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
45CCF4DA-70E4-4297-8400-B7A947AE7B56.jpeg

we decided to keep white kitty. we have another young cat who needs a playful kitten to play with :) i don’t know how i’m gonna give up the rest of them. they’re all so precious!!
45CCF4DA-70E4-4297-8400-B7A947AE7B56.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How adorable! Pointed cats will keep their blue eyes, have a high percentage of the Oriental breed. That means hang on! She will be very talkative, highly intellegent, people oriented, and stubborn! Thats what all.mine were anyway!

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
the kittens are 6 and a half weeks old now and i’ve been slowly introducing ash to the other two cats through a crate (to block the door opening, neither of them are in it). they’re slowly getting used to eachother. i think this is a good time to start introducing my other two to the white kitten since we’re keeping him, but i don’t know if it’s okay to take him out without ash or how long he can be away from her!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can be away from her for at least 30 minutes or so or until she misses them. The thing you have to be careful with is that the kitten may pick up the smells of your other acts, so be very careful observing Mama's reactions to this. If she is OK with the smells, you have it made! If she gets mad at the kitten, rub the kitten down with a warm wet rag to try to remove the smells.