Pregnant stray cat still hasn’t given birth

nmcnl

genevieve, nova, ash, & fizz
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I found a very sweet and affectionate stray cat about 8 days ago. She was pregnant and her kittens could already be seen and felt. I’m keeping her (I named her ash) and I’m going to adopt the kittens out, but I have no clue when she’s going to give birth. I have her in my guest bathroom with a couple of nesting areas set up. For the past few days, she has been going in the nesting box I set up, but most of the time she is sleeping. The kittens are very active, but I haven’t seen any discharge. I don’t think she can reach around her stomach to clean her vulva, and I’m not sure if that’s an issue or not. Her stomach is huge and seems pretty uncomfortable while she’s trying to sleep. She’s also pretty skinny everywhere except for her belly and has a small frame/narrow hips. I have two other cats who are very clingy and meow at the door, and I’m worried they may be keeping her from going into labor. She doesn’t growl or hiss at them, but she lays in front of the door most of the time and looks anxious when they meow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
here’s a pic of one of her nipples about 7 days ago. they all look like this.
FB22586B-BEE7-40E9-820F-C6270D977770.jpeg
7BD92287-3A34-432F-9FC8-A59657812C6C.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very kind of you to adopt her. She’s lovely!

She sounds very close! Apply coconut oil to her nipples and mammaries so they do not chap and crack. It’s non-toxic for her and kittens.

When you see less kitten movement it will mean labor is imminent. Could be a week or two left or just days. Check out our articles at the top of this forum, and do let her out of the bathroom for a break under supervision.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! She hasn’t met my other two cats. Will it be okay for her to meet them this late in her pregnancy? I don’t want to stress her out too much. I can put them in another room to let her out if I need to.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
Very kind of you to adopt her. She’s lovely!

She sounds very close! Apply coconut oil to her nipples and mammaries so they do not chap and crack. It’s non-toxic for her and kittens.

When you see less kitten movement it will mean labor is imminent. Could be a week or two left or just days. Check out our articles at the top of this forum, and do let her out of the bathroom for a break under supervision.
I meant to quote you in the last reply but i couldn’t figure out how! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would wait on introducing them for now. But let her out to check out her surroundings.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult cats could accidentally kill newborn babies. Best to keep them away until the babies are older and able to move more easily.

Also has she been vet checked for parasites? Keep her separate until she gets the green light from the vet.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
i put the other cats in my bedroom and let her out yesterday. she did so well and was so curious about everything!! she still hasn’t had her kittens yet though. it’s been 11 days since i found her, and her kittens were already visibly moving then. she hasn’t been to the vet yet, but i’m going to take her a coupl after she has her kittens to get checked and set an appt to get her spayed. should i go ahead and take her now in case

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
An ultrasound wouldn't hurt. Or at least a checkup. Keep her away from the other cats though in case she has fleas/parasites. You don't want a pandemic in your house.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
she finally had her kittens!! she had 7 of them. 6 look just like her, and one is white!! could the white one be albino??
F4F4B94F-827B-4510-888C-3DC414CE420E.jpeg
0C90A769-B844-4E60-BBF9-95CA30E2FC13.jpeg
DA267FA1-D5F5-4AD7-AC1F-4297340D85BE.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Seven kittens is a lot! Weigh them daily and supplement any runts who are not gaining 6-10 grams per day.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The white one could have dad's markings. But make sure you keep babies away from other cats until they are big enough to defend themselves. Have bottles on hand, mom is going to need help most likely.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
ash and her kittens are doing very well!! all of the kittens are gaining weight and seem very healthy. i do have another question though. the white kitten i mentioned earlier was born with a tail that bends at almost a 90 degree angle. it doesn’t seem to be an issue right now, but is it something that i should keep an eye on or be concerned about? will the tail be able to get appropriate blood flow?

here are some pics. i think it’s adorable!!
01F9E45B-69EF-4552-B879-EC2BCB5AEBB0.jpeg
5C35714C-4747-4B89-8DEF-F3110C848164.jpeg
01F9E45B-69EF-4552-B879-EC2BCB5AEBB0.jpeg 5C35714C-4747-4B89-8DEF-F3110C848164.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to get her tail examined by the vet. It could possibly be an issue with a nerve where it connects to her hind end.

Last edited:

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
You need to get her tail examined by the vet. could possibly be an issue with a nerve where it connects to her hind end.
thanks for the input! is it something that needs to be checked asap or can it wait a little while? this might be a dumb question, but when taking the kitten to the vet, do i take mom and all the kittens or just the one kitten?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s best to take everyone. I’d go as soon as possible. If there’s an injury causing it, it’s better to know sooner if it can be fixed or not.

nmcnl

Young Cat
Purraise
okay. i’ll email the vet clinic tomorrow and send some pics of it. they usually call the same day i send them an email, so i should know pretty quickly.