Pregnant rescued semi feral behavior

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

A few weeks ago I took in a semi feral who had been coming around the building where I live for several months. The idea was to get her spayed & depending on her socialization either return or socialize. Once trapped she it seemed like she would come around, so I kept her to see how she behaved and soon after, with the tips I received from all of you in the 'Caring for Strays & Ferals' forum, she began to come around :) Once I was able to trick her into the carrier and take her to the vet, it turned out she was pregnant!! He said 2-3 weeks to go - that was about two weeks ago. She got blood work done, was dewormed, tested negative for FIV and FeLV, and got her teeth cleaned as they were really bad. She has been settling well & feeling more comfortable as well as allowing petting on her own terms.

Although I've had cats for many years, I've never cared for a pregnant one, so this is new to me. I have prepared two boxes for her, but she hasn't really taken to either. She had seemed herself all along but today she began rolling on the floor next to me (which she hadn't done before) and then began chirping while walking in a deep squat really close to the floor (I tried attaching a short clip, but wasn't able so below pictures of what it looks like). She's done it a few times throughout the day but only while I'm in the room - I've been checking through a pet cam and haven't seen her do it while I'm not there.

Is this normal behavior? Does it mean she will be soon going into labor? Or should I be concerned I check with the vet?

Thanks for any & all help/advise.

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Typical pregnant cat behavior. You can try to pick out a place for her to have her kittens, but I will imagine she will pick out her own.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is probably uncomfortable and walking like that takes pressure off of wherever the kittens are inside her body. My guess is they are lower down near her rear. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pleasure. Please keep us updated.
So she did that for 3 maybe 4 days, now she's been acting a bit withdrawn (staying mostly in her nook) and scaredy. Not really caring for my company anymore. It seems like it's a process. Just waiting to see what happens.