Pregnant or a false pregnancy

Rex12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat nala escaped the house and I think she was with a Tom cat, this was around 22nd December 3 weeks after I noticed her nipples changed in colour and become prominent in colour almost ( dark pink ) her stomach is tender and swollen. And she eats no more than she used to over the past few days a week her nipples have gone down in size and changed colour to white again her fur near her nipples is very thick But I can still feel the nipples. I’m not sure if she’s had a fake pregnancy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Difficult to say since heat hormones and pregnancy hormones are similar. It’s possible she absorbed an early aborted pregnancy. She does not sound pregnant from your description. How about getting her spayed now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is an X-ray at the vet. It will show if she has a kitten or kittens inside. You can go from there.
Rex12345 Rex12345

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rex12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, my cats given birth at around 12 pm to just one kitten. She has settled in well with the newborn. I’m just not sure if she’s going be giving birth to anymore she’s settled and content at the mom ment

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Would love see photos of the little scarper. I think it is pretty unusual for a cat to have one kitten, but a number of factors could be involved, including age, nutrition, genetics. Have any more arrived since you wrote this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A cutie for sure! A very young stray cat that I helped take care of initially had just one kitten, but nearly 24 hours later delivered 2 more (alas, one was stillborn). So, while it may or may not be common, it can happen! Both kittens that lived thrived and were eventually adopted and now have good homes, as well as the mama.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi everyone, my cats given birth at around 12 pm to just one kitten. She has settled in well with the newborn. I’m just not sure if she’s going be giving birth to anymore she’s settled and content at the mom ment
Excellent! More may come later, or there was just this one. Just wait and see.

As long momma is OK, without no visible troubles, its a good bet you dont need to do anything. DO observe, but can calmly wait.

At this moment it sounds good!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do plan to get your cat spayed in about 8 weeks, and do not let her out in the meantime to prevent future pregnancies.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any news on anymore? Have you been with her the whole time? I only ask because I've read that mama cats can eat their stillborns but I'm new to this myself. Got a house cat who escaped for 4 days and didn't think she was pregnant being in middle of winter and now she's due in about 3 weeks.

Rex12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, no more kittens as of yet her it’s been over 24 hours to 😳 nesting pen is in my room as I have an older cat during 6 in the morning she brought me the kitten and led next to me and my partner with it I’m not sure if this is a good thing she’s constantly eating and drinking and spending time with the kitten, she has only gone toilet for a pee once but let me mind her baby and came straight back I’m planning on getting her sprayed as soon as I can.

Attachments

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so cute. Are you tempted to keep the little one especially as she only had the one?

Rex12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure just yet, is it normal for male cats to be hysterical 😂 I’m having to sleep in living room with him otherwise he won’t settle just keep crying for the mum and kitten