Pregnant momma questions...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok babies are growing like weeds the viggest 2 are over 9 ounces and the smallest is 6.7 ounces. They are 12 days today and one of the babies has not opened its eyes. Should i be concerned? I read somewhere that they open their eyes between 7-12 days

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten eyes open between 5-14 days, but you can gently wipe across the eyes of the one not opened yet with a warm, damp cloth several times a day to soften any crust that may have the eyes glued shut, but do NOT pry the eyes open. They should open soon on their own.

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok babies are 17 days today, the youngest (and biggest) still has eyes closed. I use a warm rag at night and its eyes open up but the next day they are sealed shut again? Calling vet tomarrow when they open

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue using the warm damp cloth on the eyes throughout the day. Kitten needs antibiotic eye ointment called Terramycin. Vet will have it. They are crusting shut so it’s important to continue cleaning them to keep them open. Once you get the ointment the infection in the eyes will clear for good in 3-5 days.

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok took kitten to the vet but it was the very tail end of the eye infection so vet said keep doing what we were doing. On a positive note they looked at all the kittens and said they looked healthy even runt. But now momma is getting more and more aggressive. The babies are 4 weeks old as of thursday last week and they are investigating the wet food but momma keeps batting them away from the dish. She also keeps dumping over the litterbox we set up for the kittens. Momma also just randomly ran up and attacked me tonight.... Not sure what is goingon with her...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms get nervous when their babies first begin to explore. She will get more used to it, but in the meantime, set out a plate of food for the kittens so mom has her own.

Be sure mom gets plenty of attention also. She may be jealous of the attention her kittens get. She may want you to back off a little so that she can train and discipline her kittens herself. Give her space and follow her cues.

She may also go into heat soon so do not let her outside.

She’s just being a nervous mom in general with the kittens suddenly going from the nest full-time to the world outside the nest. It will all be okay!