Pregnant Mama

How many babies do you think are in there?

• 4 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Prelabor may be quite long, even if its seldom 24 hours. But the active pushing phase is much shorter, almost always shorter than with humans.
For most cats its shorter, but you arent quaranteed.

If she contracts and pushes resultatlessly more than half an hour, contact your vet and be ready to rush in.

also! how long can she be contracting? like do cats sometimes contract for 12 hours? i just wanna make sure everything is alright.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Prelabor may be quite long, even if its seldom 24 hours. But the active pushing phase is much shorter, almost always shorter than with humans.
For most cats its shorter, but you arent quaranteed.

If she contracts and pushes resultatlessly more than half an hour, contact your vet and be ready to rush in.
Great! Thank you! It seems her contractions have stopped. Must’ve been Braxton Hicks or something :) back to waiting!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These threads mentions some articles that might be helpful to you! Some light bathroom reading :)

Abandoned Cats Taken In One Appears Imminently About To Have Kittens - All Advice Greatly Appreciate

Questions About Labor Signs!

I find that kitty labors are actually kinda similar to human labors so yes, she can labor for 12 hours, there are different stages of labor (which I think the articles address). Kitties can also have Braxton Hicks contractions like people. She will likely do one of two things when she is ready, either seclude herself and/or hide because she wants a private birth, or she may come let you know that she is ready and wants you to be there. Usually she will not go into her chosen nest until her birth is imminent, so you may see her acting restless like she is looking around for something, trying different spots out, etc. Just like people, some cats labor fast and will have babies within a few minutes with only say 15-20 minutes between babies, but it is also not uncommon for there to be an hour or more between babies. When my cat had kittens, she had two in about two hours, I could very visibly see her body contract, and then in between babies it was like she was totally out of labor, no contractions until the next one was close. After her first two, it was six hours before baby #3! She was totally normal, not stressed, cared for her kittens, and suddenly I walked into the bathroom to check on her (because I was stressed!!! Lol), and there was another kitten coming! In all likelihood, she will do everything herself and you will be the stressed out one! She is an old pro.

What you want to watch for are signs of labor or straining to push with no results, this is a sign that a kitten could be stuck or something is amiss. It's so much fun, try not to stress, there are people here that are so helpful, and your queen will let you know what is going on, if she is very friendly she will probably let you know when it is time! You aren't too far off. Keep us posted! Oh, and it's sort of a requirement that you must overload us with 456763356896677 pictures of the family once they arrive! Just kidding of course, but not kidding when I say we love pictures here!!
Wow thank you for the info!! Loved to hear your story!!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone. Mama Bear (that is what I’ve been calling her) is still grooming herself like crazy!! She’s also still eating. Have you guys ever had a mom that still ate when she went into labor? Cause I know a lot of people say they will stop eating when it’s time. Just want to know from experience.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my little mama, except for the fact that her belly got big, showed zero signs of pregnancy! Ate like a pig the whole time (understandably), I had no idea really when she would give birth other than by counting the days, or at least guessing. While she was in labor, she gobbled up a whole can of food in between her first and second baby! She was so happy, she made me laugh. There was no stopping eating for her!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good morning everyone. Mama Bear (that is what I’ve been calling her) is still grooming herself like crazy!! She’s also still eating. Have you guys ever had a mom that still ate when she went into labor? Cause I know a lot of people say they will stop eating when it’s time. Just want to know from experience.
Be sure she has calcium rich food. May help with the delivery.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my little mama, except for the fact that her belly got big, showed zero signs of pregnancy! Ate like a pig the whole time (understandably), I had no idea really when she would give birth other than by counting the days, or at least guessing. While she was in labor, she gobbled up a whole can of food in between her first and second baby! She was so happy, she made me laugh. There was no stopping eating for her!!
hahaha yes this mama loves her food!!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve noticed the past day, that her third eyelids are showing more. I had a foster kitten in the past with this, so I know it’s usually from not feeling well. Could that be from her pregnancy? or do you think maybe an underlying problem?

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer for the third eyelid, perhaps StefanZ StefanZ will have an idea... I was thinking though on the subject of food, is she eating kitten food? If not, you might want to go ahead and switch her, it's higher in calories and she should eat it as often and as much as she wants until she is through nursing. Helps with the babies nursing and development to.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer for the third eyelid, perhaps StefanZ StefanZ will have an idea... I was thinking though on the subject of food, is she eating kitten food? If not, you might want to go ahead and switch her, it's higher in calories and she should eat it as often and as much as she wants until she is through nursing. Helps with the babies nursing and development to.
Yes! She is on kitten hard and soft food!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been dewormed? Third eyelid may be from worms.
I’m not sure. I will call my animal shelter on Friday and ask. We are currently in a snow storm so they are closed today and tomorrow lol. I would assume they dewormed her but I’m not 100% sure.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, do you plan on keeping mama or any subsequent kittens?
No! Mama will be going back to her original owner (spayed) and all her babies will be put up for adoption at the animal shelter (spayed and neutered)

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The more I think about it, the more it kind of concerns me that they are giving her back to her original owner. She came to me with horrible ear mites. And if she has worms, that’s horrible.. she clearly wasn’t taken very well care of at her home before she came to me.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is very lovey today. She has been laying on the bed with me since I got up. She never does that. She’s usually hanging in the window, or on the floor!! She also went into the closet, looked up, meowed a couple times and walked out. Slowly but surely!