Pregnant mama cat. Please help

Bargomommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There was a cat living on our porch when we moved in. She took to us really quickly. Unfortunately she's pregnant. Fast forward to now, she won't let me leave her side. She's in my bathroom literally laying in my lap having contractions. She won't let me leave her side. She is being super lovable. I feel so bad for her. Is it normal to want to be this close during birthing?

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some queens want to have their humans close by when birthing, others don't. She feels comfortable with you, so indulge her and stay with her. A nest box would definitely be better than your lap. Do you have something suitable?

Do get some KMR in case the kittens need some supplementary feedings as well as to provide extra calcium for the new mom.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Some cats just need the comfort and support of their human when they are frightened and in pain from labor. You can try gently moving her to her nesting box or a blanket but stay by her side and continue to pet her and talk to her as she has her babies.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brothers cat was the same she just wanted comfort from him. It looks like she has taken to you and trust you. Thank you for caring about her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bargomommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Somethings wrong with her. She never gave birth. I have been on the phone with vets and rescues all day looking for help. Without money, vets won't help and I haven't heard back from rescues yet. I even explained to the vets that she was a stray. I haven't felt movement from the babies in over 24 hours. Mommas fever is 103.5. She's also had a brownish discharge for 48 hours now. Now it's turning more red like blood.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! It sounds like she needs a c-section and most likely babies will not be alive, but clearly mom’s health is at risk as well. (I apologize for any delays in my responses - our site was down today for many hours.)

Where are you located - city and state?

B Bargomommy

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s always best to stay with a girl in labour to ensure all kittens are born successfully.
To make sure they’re breathing, haven’t inhaled fluids, that Mum tends to the cords, ensure each placenta is accounted for and that the kittens latch on for feeding.

that this stray trusts you already is excellent. It’s best if she’s transferred to a box, they can brace against the sides while pushing, and it keeps the kittens nicely contained & safe. Also covering with a blanket makes for a secure den.

Hopefully you can find a vet that will either allow a payment plan or you to sign her over to their care.
Raising kittens is expensive even without added vet bills.

Bargomommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. We drove her to a vet 2 hours away that would help her with her being a stray. She just got pregnant too young. She had an infection and the first baby was stuck. All 3 babies passed. 😔 Fortunately she is doing well after her c-section and antibiotics. I apologize for not updating everyone sooner. It's been a tough few days. She's out of the woods and great now.

Bargomommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully you can find a vet that will either allow a payment plan or you to sign her over to their care.
Raising kittens is expensive even without added vet bills.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah. We never intended to have kittens. She was dumped and found our porch. She wasn't ours but I'm glad we crossed paths. She needed saved. All of our animals are fixed. We don't want babies. We have enough. 😂

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the update, and especially for getting her to a vet who was willing to help her. So glad she is doing well now and has a good home with you. You’ve all been through a lot!

Bargomommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the update, and especially for getting her to a vet who was willing to help her. So glad she is doing well now and has a good home with you. You’ve all been through a lot!
Absolutely. My family are all animal lovers! We have 2 cats and 2 dogs already. We could never turn away an animal in need. We are suckers. 😂 I'd save the world if I could.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Same here! I have 10 cats - all rescues. I completely understand! :lovecat2: