Pregnant Luna Kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! Mothers have to have breaks from their kittens just like humans.
That's good. I was worried me popping into the room was disturbing her. She just seems to want company when I go in though. I'm just worried that the kittens will get cold when she's out. I'm waiting on a heat mat to turn up and I'm wary about using the wheat bags I have as I dont want them to overheat

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swear I wasnt this nervous and worried about my own kids as a new mum. Lol

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use your wheat bags or make rice-or-cornmeal socks and heat them in the microwave, wrap them in a towel and place nearby the kittens.

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So morning weigh in. All but 1 of the kittens gained 10g or more. The smallest ginger one (the one I'm most concerned for) only gained 7g.

On top of that I am actually away on business for the next two nights and I cant find anyone to check in with the kittens. As long as I make sure the space is safe and Luna has all she needs in terms of food, water and space will the kittens be ok?

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok just reweighed the smallest (I was hoping I just weighed too early in the morning) either she weighed wrong earlier or its lost weight. I'm going to leave it be for the mean time but how long should I give for the kitten to pick up its weight before stepping in?

I dont want to step in if I really dont need to but I also dont want it to starve to death. With me going away for two nights (I've really tried to get out of it) I dont know if I should take the smallest kitten with me or just leave it with Luna and pray it's ok when I come back. I'm still trying to find someone to check in on them.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I suggest to keep looking for someone to watch Luna and the kittens. I'd leave the kitten with Luna and if she stops feeding the kitten, step in and bottle-feed him/her. The smallest kitten is the runt. It's normal for there to be a runt in the litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The smallest kitten is not expected to gain the same amounts as the bigger kittens. If the kitten maintains while you are gone it will be okay. Losses mean the kitten is not getting enough food. I hope you’ve found someone to check on them. You could always board the family at the vet for 2 nights. The vet would be able to weigh and supplement. Not ideal but better than nothing.

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on the little kittens, they're now 5days old. Each has gained 50g or more (some as much as 70g) and are well on target for doubling their weights. Luna is still being very tentative to them but admittedly does use me as nanny when I go up. (Leaves the nest and goes for a quick look around then tells me off if I leave the nest area before shes back).

I'll post pictures later of the brood but I'm confident that they are all doing really well. Luna is needing some care with grooming so giving her some TLC to help with her greasy coat. Other than that though, she is looking good. Eating loads, drinking plenty.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you definitely have an orange female, it means the cat who fathered the kittens was orange. Calico mom and orange dad means exactly what you got: 2 orange and 2 black kittens. And how lucky to get an orange female! 😊

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Already got her booked in for when they're weaned. I'm not keeping any of the kittens but I will be insisting that any prospective owners neuter. Either that or I will get them neutered and charge the new owners for it to be done. I dont want them caught out like I was. Any I cant find homes for will unfortunately be going to a legitimate rescue I know of that does neuter before adopting out.

There are too many cats needing homes as it is, I want to make sure these dont accidentally bring anymore into the world.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you definitely have an orange female, it means the cat who fathered the kittens was orange. Calico mom and orange dad means exactly what you got: 2 orange and 2 black kittens. And how lucky to get an orange female!
I agree! To father a red (orange / ginger) female, the dad would have been red. He also must have had white markings, because mom doesn't have any white. However, a red dad couldn't father a black daughter, so either the black female has a different dad, or she's actually a tortie. My guess is that she's a tortie (and white) from the pictures. Here you can see what appears to be some red patching, it will become more obvious as she grows up. Cute babies :)

20210330_112342.jpg

Last edited: