Pregnant Luna Kitty

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. In December I was given a cat <1 year old and was told they were sure she was neutered. I received her in a bit of a hurry, I was her third owner, the first two households suddenly discovering they couldnt afford her for some reason and passing her onto the next. My children got attached to her when she was living with their dad so he told them I had to have her and the next thing I know I had a second cat. Fast forward to the end of January and she started exhibiting some of the signs of going into heat but not many and not as much as I have experienced in other cats in heat. I kept her in anyway once I noticed but I'll admit she did get out once or twice. It was then that I found out she had never been done.

Once I found out, I intended on getting her spayed but as I thought she had already been done and it had just been Christmas I had to save up. In the meantime, she was kept in. Around 2 weeks ago she suddenly put on a load of weight. After some quick googling I realised the 2 times she had managed to get out she'd gotten herself pregnant.

I swapped her onto kitten food, she gets KMR once a day as well, I set up three nesting areas in my room for her to choose from along with a camera in my room in case she starts labouring while I'm in work.

I'm sure she's getting close to her due date by now but as I cant remember the exact date of her heat and the dates she got out I cant be sure.

My estimation is between 22nd March and 1st April. I guess I'll be using this thread for any of my questions and to keep as a log.

This is a picture of Luna today

20210321_162521.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, when you dont know when they mated, nor when the teats pinked up, its just to wait and see. Anyway, the self delivery may vary too around a full week...

The next fairly safe point, is when she drops, ie suddenly seems less big. When so, it about 2 days left.

so its just as you do: prepare yourself as well you can, and wait calmly... :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright:. as the saying goes "man plans but God decides" 🙏:happycat::cheerleader: Luna may be carrying the kitties that will be the soul companions for your children as they journey into adulthood. The good nutrition and loving home life are the best preparations - kudos on doing your homework! I would include comfort grooming with a cheap plastic comb and a soft-bristled toothbrush to enhance bonding and possibly toughen up her nipples. High quality coconut oil can be kept on hand to use as ointment in case she gets sore nipples. A 4watt K&H heated pet pad (the small size) might be appreciated by her; the downside is that it doesn't have an on/off switch nor temperature adjust; although it doesn't heat up like a human's heating pad, the additional warmth is impressive and the pad can be underneath weight (qualities that make them a boon to use for disabled/elderly people).
How is Luna on her vaccinations? I would definitely ask your vet (preferably a vet who works with ferals because the tomcat is likely feral and the local vet will be familiar with your area's disease control). Weaning is the time when kittens are most at risk and a good vaccination plan can give maximum protection (kittens who survive calicivirus, and possibly FIV/FeLV, can face a greater chance of developing feline stomatitis in their golden years).
If the household economy can handle it, an emergency kitten kit can be assembled. A "mini Miracle Nipple" kit can be helpful if you need to assist with feedings. Powdered goat milk is very handy to keep on hand in case anyone is sensitive to whey.
What an exciting time 💐😻

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, when you dont know when they mated, nor when the teats pinked up, its just to wait and see. Anyway, the self delivery may vary too around a full week...

The next fairly safe point, is when she drops, ie suddenly seems less big. When so, it about 2 days left.

so its just as you do: prepare yourself as well you can, and wait calmly... :)
When I took that picture for the thread it occured to me that she doesnt look as big as she did yesterday and I can physically see the kittens moving more today. I'm thinking it's more my perception of her but I will be keeping an eye on her width.

Thank you for the reply and advice. I'm hoping I'm home for the birth as I do have a neutered male (Carrot) that doesnt seem to have taken well to her pregnancy. My plan is once the time gets close I will be restricting her to the one room where I have the multiple nests and cam set up to protect her and the impending litter from the stress of Carrot having access and to give her a quiet space to settle.

I do worry about how Carrot will react to the kittens so I am really going to try to prevent mixing especially unsupervised.

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:alright:. as the saying goes "man plans but God decides" 🙏:happycat::cheerleader: Luna may be carrying the kitties that will be the soul companions for your children as they journey into adulthood. The good nutrition and loving home life are the best preparations - kudos on doing your homework! I would include comfort grooming with a cheap plastic comb and a soft-bristled toothbrush to enhance bonding and possibly toughen up her nipples. High quality coconut oil can be kept on hand to use as ointment in case she gets sore nipples. A 4watt K&H heated pet pad (the small size) might be appreciated by her; the downside is that it doesn't have an on/off switch nor temperature adjust; although it doesn't heat up like a human's heating pad, the additional warmth is impressive and the pad can be underneath weight (qualities that make them a boon to use for disabled/elderly people).
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it as I do want to give them the best starts in life. Unfortunately, I dont think I will be able to keep any of them. I hadnt planned on having two cats and my oldest, Carrot, (11years old) didnt take well to me taking Luna in so really struggle with the thought of stressing him out more by keeping any of the kittens. I am hoping to find them nice homes when it's time for that and she will definitely be getting spayed before she next ventures out.

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I think Luna is in labour. She wont leave me alone, she keeps crying out which is unusual for her as she isnt a vocal cat. Her stomach keeps going rock solid and she is grooming her back end.

The problem I'm having now is my kids are in bed and she is obsessed with getting in their room. She now has four nesting boxes in other rooms but she isnt interested she just wants to get into the kids room but her labouring would disturb the kids and I dont want the kittens to be under their beds.

Will she just pick one of the nesting boxes if she is given no other choice? I really can't have her disturbing the kids.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She'll find another place she likes, if she likes the nesting boxes, she'll have them in there. Cats are very picky about where they have their kittens. It's a natural instinct for them to hide them the places where predators, or in this case, their owners can't find them.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay! Most mothers know what to do, but some may need help. Make sure that she licks their face if she doesn't, you'll need to very gently wipe their face so that they can breathe. She should eat the placenta. Keep us updated!

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she gave birth to four healthy kittens in total. Two of each gender. Two black (male and female) and two ginger (male and female). I've just weighed them after giving them a good few hours to settle and the lightest is 94g and the heaviest a whopping 122g. Out of them all I'm most concern about female ginger as she is one of the lightest of them, the minute I saw her I knew she would be the runt. I did end up going in with a towel as Luna was doing all the correct things for the other kitten that came out at the same time as well as cleaning the placenta and cords up but didnt seem to realise mini ginger had been born. She was also quite lethargic and not moving like her sibling so took her out and gave her a quick rub with a towel. Only took a minute and she perked up and was put straight back with mum. Now she seems to constantly be somewhere other than near a teat so keeping my eyes on them all and doing daily weigh ins to make sure they are all getting enough milk. I have some formula in for supplementing if needs must to get their weight up but I shouldnt need it.

Luna is doing ok. Shes knackered but I have seen her eating and drinking, loving the kitten formula I'm giving her as well. She seems quite calm and protective of the kittens. Allowing me to check them over and weigh them but constantly supervising. She didnt want me to leave at all last night during the night and told me off the one time I did leave to go to the bathroom. It almost resulted in me having kittens born on my bed but she made it back to the box just in time. There has been no aggression from her at all which is great and now everyone has been checked over I'm just leaving them all to sleep just popping in to check everyone is ok occasionally and to top up food and water until Luna has recovered her energy.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!! What an adorable family! The kittens look healthy and a good size for newborns :clap: You are doing a superb job for Luna and I look forward to reading future posts about them. :mommy::runningcat::climbcat::happycat:

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have a couple of questions:
1. How much water should Luna be drinking? She's already half way through her third bowl today (approx 130mls, 180mls if you include the kitten formula as well) and I'm just wondering at what point it becomes classed as excessive.
2. Is it necessary to get a heat mat for the nest? If so what's the best type to use? Dog mat or reptile pad?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! :lovecat2:

Mom needs lots of fluids for nursing and recovery from birthing, so her consumption sounds fine to me. She will likely level that off in the next couple of days as her system adjusts.

Heating pad set on low under the towel or blanket with room to move off is perfect, especially for when mom needs to take a break. I used my own personal heating pad for 3 weeks non-stop and it worked out well. Kittens can control their own body temps after 3 weeks.

I am wondering if both your gingers are boys though. Genetically, it takes a ginger mom and a ginger dad to produce an orange female. It will be interesting to see! 😊

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have a look for a heat pad. And I will double check the gender of ginger female at weigh in tomorrow. She isnt as vibrant orange as the other she has more brown tones to her coat that doesnt show well on camera. To be honest I was surprised when she appeared to be female. I've only ever seen male gingers so will definitely double check.

CarrotandLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've popped in on her a couple of times today. Is it normal in the first 24hours that she will leave the nest and just chill in other parts of the room?