Pregnant kitty

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! This is in reference to a client's kitty (I own a professional cat sitting business). So I'm stating this ahead of time because I am not in charge of making decisions. However, I want to guide my client the best way possible so they can make the best decisions for themselves. That said, at least at this point, they are NOT going to do a spay abort. And, I'd also ask for people to withhold any judgement (this really was a fluke thing that happened - my client thought she had done everything right based on vet's recommendations).

Onto the kitty! I'll use the nicknames - Chunk is the pregnant kitty. Kitten Daddy is her litter mate brother. They are 8 months old. Kitten Daddy was neutered at 6 months of age. Chunk was not spayed at the same time (I never asked why, so not sure what the reason was, if any). Well, apparently, it was too late.

I started caring for them on Monday. I realized on Tuesday that not only was Chunk, well, chunky. But she also had a very firm belly. A series of questions and a day later, I said that I thought she was pregnant. A vet appointment and x-ray on Thursday confirmed it - it looks to only be one kitten.

THE QUESTIONS I HAVE:

- What are the potential issues for inbred cats (especially from the same litter)? They are domestic shorthair, btw. Chunk is a torbie, KD is a tabby.
- Chunk was vaccinated last month. What are the odds of this resulting in CH in the kitten(s)?
- Would it be recommended to take the baby(s) to the vet sooner than normal just to make sure it is ok from the standpoints listed above?
- When does nesting typically start? As of last Thursday, vet said she was about 40-50 days along.

I'm asking so I can best prepare my client for any potential issues that may arise. We are of course hoping there simply are none. But I do know that both the inbreeding as well as being vaccinated while pregnant (yes, FVCRP was included) can ultimately cause CH in the babeis. I just can't find anything that says what the % is. The shock of her being pregnant is over and they are excited now (and planning on keeping the baby since it looks to just be one). I truly hate to rain on their happiness but would also hate for them to have a horrible shock.

(I also have some more general questions regarding the birth as it's entirely possible I'll still be caring for her when that time comes - but ending this for now)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Some of your questions I can't help with, but these articles might be useful for some of the others;

These might help:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First generation inbreeding will usually turn out okay.

It depends at what week of gestation the cat was vaccinated, and which vaccine. Hopefully she was far enough along that effects were minimal to none.

Nesting can start a week or so before labor as hormones gear up, but most cats do not go to the nest until time to deliver.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, there are risks with inbred kittens to have genetic problems, and at 8 months old that alone can cause complications as well. They do have to prepare themselves that the kitten may have health problems or even be stillborn. Hopefully they get their female spayed 8 weeks after the kitten is born.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully they get their female spayed 8 weeks after the kitten is born.
I will definitely be strongly suggesting spaying! I don't know what her vet said to her (we have some old-fashioned vets in the area) as far as spaying Chunk to begin with. But either way, I'll be letting her know it's also ok to spay/neuter the kitten way before 6 months!

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, there are risks with inbred kittens to have genetic problems, and at 8 months old that alone can cause complications as well. They do have to prepare themselves that the kitten may have health problems or even be stillborn.
I should have just the whole quote intact, lol. Yes, I tried to call her today but it went to voicemail. I will hopefully get to talk to her tomorrow. I very rarely call my clients while they are gone (usually just message) but I've called her so much! But yeah, I want to make sure she doesn't have any surprises.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
First generation inbreeding will usually turn out okay.

It depends at what week of gestation the cat was vaccinated, and which vaccine. Hopefully she was far enough along that effects were minimal to none.

Nesting can start a week or so before labor as hormones gear up, but most cats do not go to the nest until time to deliver.
Honestly, I'm not sure exactly when she was vaccinated. I want to say 3 weeks ago or so?

I'm paranoid I won't know she's nesting. The house is huge. More hiding places than I can count that she could possibly be nesting in.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm paranoid I won't know she's nesting. The house is huge. More hiding places than I can count that she could possibly be nesting in.
I think I read somewhere that you could temporarily put a bell on her? and then remove the bell and collar when you've found her spot so that the kittens don't run the risk of getting caught in it.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Possibly.... I need to find out when her family is coming home. They're hunkering down in a timeshare somewhere warmer and had possibly planned on staying later. So I may not even be there still when she delivers. But I kid you not, I walk in each visit freaking out until she pokes her head around the corner to see who's coming in.

And do pregnant cats waddle? I swear she's waddling.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
We are coming up on 3 weeks since the vet visit, where he said it would be most likely 2-3 weeks. She's not even acting differently. Client is back home and said she seemed like she might be nesting at one point, but she's acting normal now. Not acting maternal at all. Is this normal? I just simply don't know as I never ever had a pregnant cat. Nor have I ever cared for one.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
And.... what are signs of nesting? Besides possibly spending more time in a spot? They have a box with blankets they set up for her but she isn't doing anything particular with it other than sleeping there.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Them coming home may have distracted her a bit.

I'm not sure what nesting looks like, exactly, other than her maybe trying to rearrange the blankets, but sleeping in the box is a good sign :)

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like nesting and the pre-labor stuff starts 1-2 days before giving birth, so perhaps we're a bit ahead? And it sounds like he could have done the deed after being neutered and still gotten her pregnant for a brief amount of time. Fertile little dude regardless!

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had foster cats who have never nested before giving birth. One gave birth in a cat bed cubby that I’m sure she had never been in before. Is there any way you can close her in one room? I’ve had cats hide their babies all over in different places, particularly when they feel threatened. For instance, I had to make sure to be in the room every Wednesday morning when the garbage truck went by because I had one foster cat who would go crazy about it... even though she never cared about the garbage truck before giving birth.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve had foster cats who have never nested before giving birth. One gave birth in a cat bed cubby that I’m sure she had never been in before. Is there any way you can close her in one room? I’ve had cats hide their babies all over in different places, particularly when they feel threatened. For instance, I had to make sure to be in the room every Wednesday morning when the garbage truck went by because I had one foster cat who would go crazy about it... even though she never cared about the garbage truck before giving birth.
:O

They have a huge house with many rooms so that kinda freaks me out. On the plus side, it looks like she only has one baby, MAYBE two.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Chunk had two babies in the middle of the night!!!!! She is being a good mama apparently, which is good. All went well with delivery. They heard her yowling at 3am and were there just in time for the first birth <3

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I definitely feel so much better now that she's had her babies! I've been so worried about her and them. We still have to wait and see as CH is still a possibility. But for now, happy and healthy babies and mama ♥