Pregnant kitty questions

Beazly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our recent rescue went for a walkabout 8.5 weeks ago and we weren’t able to get her into the vet in time before they closed due to COVID so I now find myself with a Very Pregnant girl. I’ve done a fair amount of internet research and talked to my vet but I’m full of (probably silly) questions. Any help would be most appreciated!

Do second pregnancies last shorter than first? Our girl was originally thought to be a boy however at her initial vetting we learned she was a she and showed signs of having had a previous litter.

I have made her a nesting box but she only seems interested in sleeping on the kitchen table. Um...that’s not a thing, right? She generally will only stay in an area where I am also present and while I am sure nature will kick in when the time comes, I need reassurance that I’m not going to come to breakfast one morning to find a mound of kittens at the table

Does she need a little heater of heating pad in her spot? It isn’t cold here by any stretch but I worry about the AC.

Any advice on whether it is better to keep the kittens far far away from the pup or allow her to (safely, under supervision) investigate? Our dog is no stranger to cats but I worry that she will try to ‘play’ with them as much as I worry that keeping them away will make her wary of them/more inclined to ‘play’.

Ok that’s all I’ve got while I’m just staring at this belly and wondering when it’s going to happen.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends really.

Pregnant cats are always very needy and will only start nesting when close to giving birth. I made an awesome nesting box in a wire kennel for my foster, it was filled with blankets and the kennel was completely covered. She decided instead that the kittens were to be born under the desk. I tried to move them back but nope.. so she had her nesting box until the computer desk for awhile until the kittens were 4 weeks old and too big for it lol.

Yes you should have a heating pad for the kittens, they can not regulate body temperature until a few weeks old.

Do not let your dog around them until much older 6-7 weeks old and on a leash only for the first while. If the dog doesn't play rough with them then its fine.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of times they find places like in the corner of closets. You can't choose for them, they have their own standards no matter how something looks inviting to you. A pile of dirty clothes in a closet is a far more likely choice. I now have 4 expecting that were supposed to visit a clinic but it got canceled and now I will have an overflow of kittens. Oh well at least there is no shortage of cat food, yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beazly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems content now in the spot I made for her - it’s in my closet - but any time I leave the room she calls me back. Honestly I’m fine with anything except the table and lets be honest that’s more a fear of falling babies then anything else.