Pregnant Kitty, Not Sure If I Should Be Worried.

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my baby girls 2nd litter. . she's 2 years old. I can't remember from her first litter if she did this.

But this morning I noticed she's spotting (blood). All day I know she's ready. Her belly is huge, but no kittens yet. I'm pretty positive she's in labor but I'm still worried. I've been leaving her in our bathroom BC I've been finding her sleeping on a towel on the floor the past week. So I just peek in on her from time to time. Will she be going into full labor soon ? I still slightly feel kittens moving, which eases my worries some. It doesn't stink or anything and she's cleaning it. I found spots on my bed which is how

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some spotting may occur. I do get worried every time I do hear about this, but forumists report afterward it went OK.
The apparent danger is of course is a full bleeding with alive blood.

Red colored discharges but not real blood is very common, the usual even.

I have difficult to advise you anything much, as it MAY be OK, but is still apparently touchy. If you decide to wait it out, make sure you know where the nearest good vet surgeon is, and have everything prepared to rush her in.

Please report when you can...

Good luck I izzyscatmama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't seem distressed at all and its not a ton of blood. Its 5 am here and still no kittens but she seems more than okay. Eating drinking walking around no heavy panting. Licking her belly and what not. I'm thinking sometime today... I do remember her first litter taking long, she was shooting signs around 8:30 the night before and had them at 7 the next morning I just can't remember every detail..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have nest options set up for her? Can you keep her 100% inside and away from intact males until the kittens have weaned?

Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first litter she was on a waiting list (she's a strictly indoor cat) she jumped off our balcony. Got pregnant so I don't have the heart to terminate the babies they all found homes and are all fixed.
This time still strictly indoor. We went to bed with her and some up she was gone, still don't know how she got out. She was gone 4 days.

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to add she is scheduled to get fixed right after she has her kittens.

She's having them tonight she's showing all signs she's crying, uncomfortable, extra clingy (she's following me everywhere) and her breathing is starting to pick up. Its kitten time .

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat went into labor last night had three kittens. But unfortunately she lost those three babies.. Idk what happened from the time they went from her belly to delivery but I tried everything.. Blowing in its face to the swinging. She still has kittens inside, and their moving. Its like she keeps stopping her contractions of they're getting stuck I don't see it. By the time I see a kitten they're already not moving or breathing. I have her in the bathroom all set up and she won't sit still. Its like if I'm not sitting next to her she won't deliver. I tried giving her privacy after the three last night and she stopped her labor. This has never happened to me or her before. Her last litter she had all 7 no issues at all. No losses. Nothing. I came home from work and she had her kittens. If I leave the bathroom door open, she jumps up on my bed and pulls my hand with her mouth to go back in with her . I help as much as I can.. Idk what else to do. Any advice .

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The holding them and swinging between the legs. The umbilical cords are all still attached when born so I was hoping they were still getting some oxygen. They're moving in her belly then in that short time they're not anymore. I'm worried the others are gonna be the same. She's cleaning them off fast doing everything she's supposed to ..

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read on here and other pages its to help get any fluid out of the lungs. Its not fast swinging.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've read on here and other pages its to help get any fluid out of the lungs. Its not fast swinging.
Good you tried with this slunging. If properly done, its decently safe.

How does the dead kittens looks? Are they fully developed? Furry, fatty?

This what you describes may easily happen with prematures, they may be delivered alive but dies in minutes after delivery, because lungs arent properly developed.

If they are fully developed its more difficult to guess what happened.
If you have access to a good vet clinic, a cesarean could perhaps save the others. Perhaps.

Try to be with her, if she wishes it...

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're fury, and fat. All fingers and toes.. One looks like the sack broke before it was fully delivered :/ but they all looked to be very healthy and decent sized she's full term. I feel so bad for her I left the kittens with her over night she licked one so much she gave him a bald spot .. I removed and burried the three before I had to leave for work. I tried calling off but I couldn't.

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got home from work... Still no more kittens. But she's acting totally normal.. She's cuddling up next to me now. Babies are still moving could she just be upset from losing the three so she stopped her labor ? Posted a picture of her cuddling my arm my hand is on her belly.. She definitely ate today her food bowl is almost empty... Am I panicking for no reason.. She's my world..

Attachments

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
What dates did she get out? Maybe she mated with a couple of toms a couple different days and the remaining kittens aren't ready to come out yet.

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that's exactly what happened .. Sunday night she had 3 kittens they didn't survive. Yesterday no labor .. Today she had 5 more kittens 1 is still alive the others sadly did not survive. The one that did survive is small but eating and crying and acting normal. I think she may still have one or two more left her belly is still a little extended and stiff. This little guy is probably the kitten I've been feeling move around. I think she got pregnant by two toms. BC she was gone for 4 days. In I want to say the end of November . but she's happy and feeding her baby.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a really big litter. Cats rarely have more than 6. That may have impacted the survival rate. If there are more that would be even more unusual.

Sorry for your loss :(. Let's hope this little one makes it! Looks like a tortie girl from what I can see. Do you have a kitchen scale? It's a good idea to weigh kittens every day to make sure they're gaining enough (6-10 grams a day, at least). If there are no more surviving kittens she probably won't have a hard time getting enough milk, but you never know; sometimes the mama just doesn't make enough for some reason.

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No more babies I took her to the vet today. Baby it looking fine. Vet said she can't say exactly what happened but said 8 is a lot and thinks she got pregnant twice. Her nips are very very full and the baby is really strong and crawling around I get nervouse when mama isn't with the baby only BC I don't want it to get cold so I put hot water bottles in the basket under the blanket. For when mama isn't in with baby. I'm keeping the surving baby and they will both be fixed. Mama is scheduled for a couple weeks. Not sure if baby is a boy or girl yet but I'm in love with it. Thank you all so much.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably shouldn't have mama spayed before baby is weaned, just to be safe. Unless that's absolutely the only time you can do it, or you're afraid she'll escape again. Most mama cats will still nurse after being spayed but some won't and you wouldn't want to have to bottle-feed if it's not strictly necessary.

So far everything sounds fine! Keep up the good work!

izzyscatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, its kind of a check up to see where she's at.. I'm iffy on getting her spayed while still nursing. But when she's in heat she's soooo hard to keep in the house. She's litey Houdini Lol obviously I'm gonna do what's best for them both.