pregnant feral

amgelbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We partially raised 3 feral cats. Her mother gave birth almost 2 years ago to 3 calicoes but we now only have 1 left. She has never let us close to her but we feed her daily. She is now pregnant. She finally came in the house a few days ago but immediately wanted to go back outside, she has however let both me and my husband touch her, we scratch her head and rub her back but thats as far as we are able to go, she does rub herself on my husbands legs and meows alot. How do I get her to come in so that she can give birth in the house. I did find her in a box this morning that is hidden under something else so I do not know if this is where she is getting prepared to give birth. She has not wanted to eat but I am checking on her regularly. I did see the babies move once but her nipples are not very prominent as far as I can tell but she does have lot of hair. I do have one of her nephews that we have raised since about 6 weeks old and he is now just about 8 months ole but do not know how he would react to another cat in the house much less to new kittens. Should I keep them seperated?? I am really worried that she will give birth outside and if something goes wrong we will not be able to save her or her babies. And as far as getting her fixed I really dont know how we will accomplish that since we cant touch her to get her to the vet. Please help!!!!!! Oh and we are new to this raising cats, we have always had dogs to Im not sure what to expect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amgelbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well when I wrote te last post I didnt know that my Sheba had had her kittens,dont know if it was last night or sometime today since I barely saw them, looks like there are 4 of them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We partially raised 3 feral cats. Her mother gave birth almost 2 years ago to 3 calicoes but we now only have 1 left. She has never let us close to her but we feed her daily. She is now pregnant. She finally came in the house a few days ago but immediately wanted to go back outside, she has however let both me and my husband touch her, we scratch her head and rub her back but thats as far as we are able to go, she does rub herself on my husbands legs and meows alot. How do I get her to come in so that she can give birth in the house. I did find her in a box this morning that is hidden under something else so I do not know if this is where she is getting prepared to give birth. She has not wanted to eat but I am checking on her regularly. I did see the babies move once but her nipples are not very prominent as far as I can tell but she does have lot of hair. I do have one of her nephews that we have raised since about 6 weeks old and he is now just about 8 months ole but do not know how he would react to another cat in the house much less to new kittens. Should I keep them seperated?? I am really worried that she will give birth outside and if something goes wrong we will not be able to save her or her babies. And as far as getting her fixed I really dont know how we will accomplish that since we cant touch her to get her to the vet. Please help!!!!!! Oh and we are new to this raising cats, we have always had dogs to Im not sure what to expect.
Re separating the older kitten.

If they dont know each other, ie are good pals, do separate them... At least, to begin with...

IF it happens they do meet, and she is OK with the teenager, and he seems friendly with her and the kittens, you may let them be together.
There are even chances he will co-parent.

But if unsure: keep them separated, esp as she will prob be defensive high strung to other cats she isnt good pal with. She will prob tolerated you and your hubby; she knows you are docile and friendly.

ps. He he fixed? If not, its high time for it.

amgelbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.Yes he is fixed took care of that when he was about 3 months old. She had her kittens outside in a hidden box where she is shielded from other cats & the cold. I was thinking I shouldnt put them close together for fear he might hurt the newborns.

amgelbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to ask how often should I feed the mamma now and what should I feed her? She is used to eating Friskies meaty bits while my Angel is eating Friskies Pate.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can feed mom her Friskies (lots of it), and give her dry food and water for in between. She needs extra food while nursing. Feed her near her box for now.

Have you been able to count how many kittens she has?

If at all possible — perhaps in the next day or two — might you be able to bring the box inside your home? Often, an outside mom will follow her kittens inside. They would be safer, warmer, and the kittens can be socialized once they are out of the nest.

A amgelbaby

amgelbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im so sorry that I havent been able to reply to everyone that posted an answer for me. Since I was last online the mamma Sheba moved her kittens from our yard where she had them. We think it was because we had a neighbor that was making allot of noise just 2 days after she had them and she flet threated by it, so we have not been able to see the new kittens. They will be 3 weeks old next Sunday and should be walking soon. Mamma Sheba still comes every morning, noon and dinner time to eat. There are 4 babies and I pray that they are doing good. She moved them next door and honestly the yard is disgustenly dirty and full of trash but she has plenty of coverage for them at least for now. Our inside cat wants so bad to go outside and play with Sheeba but I cant let her out for fear of her running off. Its so sad that she cant intermingle with her auntie but they do try to nuzzle at the screen door when she is here. Thanks so much all of you for your input, I really appreciate it alot.

amgelbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello eveyone. I know its been a long time since I wrote, have just been real busy with these cats and life in general. Anyway, Sheba the mamma cat comes everyday to eat, (she is eating me out of house & home) LOL! We finally saw her kitties, they are so cute, she has 2 white ones like her and 2 cream colored with some dark spots around the eyes. She has not brought them back to our yard yet but they see us petting and feeding their mom so were hoping they will come soon. They are 8 weeks old. I beleive Sheba and her siblings started coming over at around 10 or 12 weeks. Anyway anyone have any advice on how I stop all the floating hair that my Angel sheds. Ive tried certain shampoos, brushing him and I cant seem to stop all the hair. It is driving my allergies bonkers. I wanted to get her groomed & her hair trimmed down but they wont touch her since she has not been intergrated with other cats or dogs. HELP!!!!! Hope to hear from someone soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you planning to get Sheba spayed and catch her kittens?

I don’t know what to tell you about Angel other than to keep brushing and vacuuming since grooming is not in the cards. Shedding is normal as the weather warms up.

amgelbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning. Sorry Im just getting back to you. Thats what Ive been told by others I talk to. I bought a brush and it does take the hair off but not enougnt of it. I wanted to get him groomed but the place told me that since he is not used to alot of noise that they probably wont be able to do it and I would still have to pay for whatever they were able to do. I have been tempted to purchase clippers and do it myself but Im scarred that he wont let me do it, he gets freaked out by loud noises. I do bathe him once a month and of course he does not like that but does pretty good, of course after he scratches me at least once. LOL! Since I am allergic to the dander of the animals it is real hard on me, I am forever congested. Anyway thanks fro the info.
Since Sheba an outside cat there is no way I can get her spayed, She just started letting us touch her, she loves to get rubbed. I want tp try to pick jer up but afraid she will freak out and take off. I do intend on catching the babies and take them to the shelter. I just cant afford to feed anymore cats, plus its alot of work. My husband wants to keep one of them and Ive already named it even though we dont know what the gender is. I really want another one so my Angel has company. But well see. The kittens are now running around and the one we named comes to our front porch early every morning with her mom. He climbs the wall and jumps like a rabbit. HEHE! He or she is the curious one. Anyway that is enough for now. If anyone else has any suggestions on the hair please let me know.