Pregnant feral - trap or leave her alone

HeatherWR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying without success to trap a female feral. She is now very visibly pregnant and I'm guessing she will give birth in the next week. I'm torn - should I keep trying to trap her and if I'm successful, provide her with a safe quiet place to have her kittens? Or do I let her stay where she's comfortable, but risk something happening to her and the kittens? Either way, I will continue to provide food so at least she will not be hungry. And I will start trapping the kittens as soon as they are old enough to be separated.

If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it. I'm very torn. Is the stress of being caught and confined worth the guaranteed safety of her and her kittens?

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to say to keep trying because she should have her babies inside. But at this point, if she freaks out after being trapped, she may go into premature labor.

How tame is she? She looks at the camera like she's kind of tame.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeatherWR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thx for your response. I've been feeding (and trapping/releasing/homing younger cats) this colony for months so they know me but are by no means tame. I trapped/spayed and released her buddy a few weeks ago and she was quite agitated the whole time I had her, so I don't kid myself.

That said, this cat is SO pregnant, I think that even if labor was triggered by the stress, the kittens would be old enough.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would trap just because it can be so hard to track down the entire litter and get them all fixed later....and I am not ignoring that there are always dangers outside when a litter is born in the wild. Do you have a place for them?

Two summers ago I trapped and spayed a female who was entirely wild...never got closer than 20 feet to her and so never realized that she had already had the kittens under my neighbor's house. Two years later I have just brought two of the "kittens" inside permanently after literally months of working with them outside. Remaining sister is quite feral and I don't think will transition. I just think it gives you a lot more control if you can let the litter be born inside, especially if you believe that she is that close to a due date.

HeatherWR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your input. I am going to keep trying. Yes, I have a garage she can stay in with the kittens. It would certainly be better for everyone if we can keep them safe from the beginning. But worst case, we will feed, trap the kittens once they are old enough to be separated, and finally spay the mom so this will be her last litter. Thx again

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any way to lure her into the garage and then close the door? Not the big door of course; she'd run out from the noise it makes, but the people-sized door? That might be the easiest way.

HeatherWR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any way to lure her into the garage and then close the door? Not the big door of course; she'd run out from the noise it makes, but the people-sized door? That might be the easiest way.
She’s not at my house. The colony I have been helping is at an office building so my only option is trapping. We’ve caught five others and I’ve watched her walk around the trap on several occasions. But still hoping she is just hungry enough to walk in! Thx

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have been trapped before and is wary. Try to put some really tempting food in the trap like tuna or salmon. some day she won't be able to resist!

HeatherWR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying without success to trap a female feral. She is now very visibly pregnant and I'm guessing she will give birth in the next week. I'm torn - should I keep trying to trap her and if I'm successful, provide her with a safe quiet place to have her kittens? Or do I let her stay where she's comfortable, but risk something happening to her and the kittens? Either way, I will continue to provide food so at least she will not be hungry. And I will start trapping the kittens as soon as they are old enough to be separated.

If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it. I'm very torn. Is the stress of being caught and confined worth the guaranteed safety of her and her kittens?
Update: after months of trying, I finally trapped this cat this morning, but it was obvious she had already had her kittens. I was trying to trap a different female to get her spayed before she also has kittens.

The good news is she looks fine and I’m able to get food in her every day. But of course I released her to care for her kittens. I’m pretty sure I know where her kittens are, but I’m leaving her a good amount of space. We will keep a close eye on her over the next few weeks and then start trapping kittens and get her spayed. Thanks to everyone for your input..