Pregnant Feral Cat HELP!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would give her a box or two on it’s side with a towel draped over half or 3/4’s of the entrance. Put a bed or folded towel in the box. Also keep everyone out of her room. A cat in their litter box is a very stressed out cat. So I would work to reduce her stress as much as possible. I might even try feliway.
Hi, yes, she has a box on its side and has a heating pad, under the box, she has a blanket in it, and as she is coming out of the box she has a cat mat the warms up due to her body temp. Since I had posted this, I was thinking maybe she is doing since her entire life she is used to laying on dirt etc. she doesn’t act stressed or anxious at all. Not sure what else I could do to reduce stress levels. Oh, and I actually have stuff covering her crates. In the day hours, I will lift one side up top of the crates. I work from home, and my desk is in my room where she was, today she decided to talk to me, and I went over sat on the ground spent some time with her… back to my desk & she started to meow again. I lifted the blanket at the end of the crate and that seemed to make her happy as she could see me. Poor girl, she is so huge and it does look like her belly dropped some overnight. Nothing like I seen w/ her on her last litter. That was creepy see every baby moving, shape of their bodies etc … when she was coming to eat … she looked like she had aliens in her body…. Lol … guessing what I am watching is the babies moving still, not contractions…. I have watched a ton of you tube etc on when they are having the huge contractions that are pushing out the babies….
Is there an in between? Like humans? Smaller contractions that build up to the big ones?
Guess will go to pet store and get something for her anxiety. Thanks so much!

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweetie had her babies this morning! She had 4! Her first was a white one, then 2 black , and her last one was a gray tabby. I woke up to her having the first kitten as she screamed really loud and thought she was stuck in her crate, but It was her pushing out the white one … I startled her and she ran to her birthing box with the kitten still attached to her… felt horrible…. Left her be … checked on her in a bit and there was the tabby laying by itself and poor girl was exhausted. Just laying there with her head resting and the tabby managed to crawl up to her. Didn’t see the white kitten at all so was afraid she was laying on it but I didn’t disturb her…. They are all nursing on her it appears and she is just laying there…. I have a heating pad there under her box so think I will turn it on … and try to offer her some water and at least a snack stick…. I have clean pads under the pad she is on … but I don’t want to disturb her.. and the one puppy pad on the other side of the crate needs to be changed out and I took her litter box out last night … just had a feeling as she appeared to be nesting in it … which didn’t want the babies born in it …

should I be trying to weigh the kittens? Leave her be? Like not sure what I am to do? And that icky pad she is laying on would be great to get out from her…. But again, I don’t want to disturb her.

any advice is appreciated!!!

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and the litter box should I try to put it back in? It’s loud opening the crate and again don’t want to add any stress on her

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wrong went to weigh them after I feed her and its 5 kittens!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kitten Lady

This site may help with some of your questions. You are doing great and now have 5 kittens! How is the mom's attitude toward you and are you okay after the bite of the other day? I believe that the video which was posted the other day about a feral mom and kittens is included in this site as well. Hannah Shaw explains about weighing them and determining if you need to supplement them.

Have you been able to change the pad and move the litter box? How does everyone seem to be doing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens! Glad all went well. Mom will be very exhausted. Feed her well.

You can wait a day to change pads. But if the opportunity arises, you can slide the soiled one out if there’s a clean one underneath.

Set the heating pad on low only. Definitely add the litter box back — mom will need it.

Did she eat all 5 placentas? If so, she may have some diarrhea.

Give mom a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink. With 5 babies to nurse, mom will need the extra calcium.

Did you get weights on the babies? If so, what are they? Keep a log. Try to weigh about the same time each day. Kittens should gain 6-10 grams per day (or more). If all five are nursing well, hopefully you’ll not need to supplement, but weights will let us know.

Keep us posted! SweetieKitty SweetieKitty

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yay, 5 kittens! Congratulations!

:woo:

With the pads, it's easy if you put a stack of them in there and slide the top soiled one out every day/as needed. Saves you trying to fiddle around and slide a clean one back in under mom and babies.

It might be difficult to do now, but as mothers usually move their kittens to a clean nest after a few days you could have a stack of clean pads ready for her in an alternative nesting box.

Keep us posted.

:goodluck:

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten Lady

This site may help with some of your questions. You are doing great and now have 5 kittens! How is the mom's attitude toward you and are you okay after the bite of the other day? I believe that the video which was posted the other day about a feral mom and kittens is included in this site as well. Hannah Shaw explains about weighing them and determining if you need to supplement them.

Have you been able to change the pad and move the litter box? How does everyone seem to be doing?
Oh my goodness! Such a flake at times, life has just been chaotic!
UPDATE: Mom is doing great job with her babies! We lost 1 in the first 48 hours. We have 2 tabby’s and 2 black kittens. They are all eating great and thriving. I was doing some supplemental feedings, 3 times a day as they were not quite gaining like they should. Down to one a day now, went from 2ml to 10ml… bought the miracle nipples, but none of them will latch on, so frustrating… as 1 or 2 times I had them latch.

Mom is eating a ton! 3 cans or more of canned food m, dried food, formula and tons of snacks. She is good with me with taking the babies, only have taken 2 at a time.

when I stimulate always get a good pee but I have only got 1 poop, so I hope she is getting them… as I always get a large pee it seems…. Makes me wonder for sure.

and I know here in the next week they are to more active from videos etc so that is gonna be a challenge… as they are in 2 Large dog metal crates zipped tied together… do I take them all out and put them in playpen for some play time? I just don’t trust letting her out cuz my fear is getting her back in!!!

Attachments

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was Sweetie not 24 hours yet some birth the white kitten passed on.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once the kittens are 3 weeks old they will need to come out to play. Mom will need to come out as well to supervise them and teach them kitten manners. Make sure the room is kitten proof, but do give them play mice, balls and a little something to climb on. You can set a spay appointment for mom for when the kittens are 6 weeks old.

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response, however, I cannot let her out in my room. It’s just not something I am able to do. Her appt is made for when they are 5 weeks old!