pregnant cat's belly looks a lot smaller than yesterday

nekonekonee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is around 40 days in, she's been staying indoors for the past week. Yesterday her belly was a lot bigger than today, i looked around the house a little in case she might've given birth but found nothing. Is this normal? This is her first pregnancy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is possible that she miscarried and ate the remains, or it may just be her weight shifting. Time will tell.

Do you plan to get her spayed eventually?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekonekonee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are no noticeable changes other than her belly looking smaller, no bloody discharge or anything. If she miscarried would I be able to tell?
Once she has given birth I am planning on getting her spayed and neutered

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is no longer pregnant she will eventually go into heat again. You can also have a vet do an x-ray. It will show if she is carrying kittens still.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat is around 40 days in, she's been staying indoors for the past week. Yesterday her belly was a lot bigger than today, i looked around the house a little in case she might've given birth but found nothing. Is this normal? This is her first pregnancy.
There is perhaps a possibility you got the starting time wrongly, ie she is really into her 65 day, not 40. but if so, she should probably deliver during today tuesday.... As they do drop just a couple of days before delivery...

If not, its wise to consult a vet. If she isnt pregnant no more, do agree on a spaying time.

nekonekonee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is perhaps a possibility you got the starting time wrongly, ie she is really into her 65 day, not 40. but if so, she should probably deliver during today tuesday.... As they do drop just a couple of days before delivery...

If not, its wise to consult a vet. If she isnt pregnant no more, do agree on a spaying time.
I figured out that it was 51 days ago when she left the house and mated.

nekonekonee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Luna, gave birth last Monday to three black kittens :) Pepsi, Pluto and Hiccup.
Unfortunately we noticed three days after my cat gave birth that they had their umbilical cords tangled together. We untangled them, but sadly Hiccup had some of the umbilical cord wrapped around its leg. It was swollen but warm. Hiccup was still feeding and Luna wasn’t bothered by it’s foot so I supposed all was well. The swelling went down, but recently down to the point where it’s shriviled and dead and only a little stump is left.
what should I do 🥲
Hiccup is still feeding well and it seems Luna still doesn’t see a problem with it.
As for the other kittens
Pepsi is the biggest and gets to suckling first and pushes the other kittens away, Pepsi is the most active, they’re quite cheeky.
Pluto is the smallest, and always seems a bit confused, Pluto is very cute 😤.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

nekonekonee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

nekonekonee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hiccups leg is bleeding :(
Can’t afford vet atm.
if it’s infected can it spread to the other kitten

nekonekonee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s pus not blood

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s infected. The kitten needs antibiotics NOW! Please try to find a way to see a vet - payment plan, borrow from a friend.

The kitten is at risk of dying without treatment. It is likely in pain. And no, this type of infection - called gangrene - is not infectious to others.

N nekonekonee

Last edited: