Pregnant cat

Daisykittymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 8 months old and pregnant, the past two days she has stopped eating and keeps going into the nesting spot. My male cat (the father) has been trying to Mount her these past two days and I’ve had to keep them separated- my question is this, is this normal does my male cat think she’s in heat?
I am getting her neutered as soon as the vet lets me after she’s has The kittens. I think she may go into labor soon.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should get your male cat neutered soon as well, even before your female cat. I can't help you with the signs of labor, though.

Stressedcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The female cat will keep going into heat if the male is not neutered, even then its better to have them both spayed asap.
Is she 2 months pregnant already? If u see anything off during labor run to the ER bc shes way too young to be pregnant

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i'm going to give you a few articles to read. Once your cat has given birth, you'll want to keep her separated from your male, as she can become pregnant again within an amazingly short time...days, not weeks. And yes, neutering your male will prevent a lot of issues in the future, although it will take a few weeks for all of the male hormones to leave his system.

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles
Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles
Post-birth Complications In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnancy hormones are the same as heat hormones, so your male cat does not know the difference. Get him neutered now. It takes a few weeks for the testosterone to reduce before you see a behavior change.

Females are spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. It’s a shame she is pregnant so young.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisykittymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i'm going to give you a few articles to read. Once your cat has given birth, you'll want to keep her separated from your male, as she can become pregnant again within an amazingly short time...days, not weeks. And yes, neutering your male will prevent a lot of issues in the future, although it will take a few weeks for all of the male hormones to leave his system.

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles
Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles
Post-birth Complications In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Our male cat is technically my boyfriends cat and he does not want to neuter him because of his personal beliefs which I respect 💯 - I on the other hand have no issue with heading my female cat neutered as I don’t want her constantly having to have kittens.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, but you're going to have a job on your hands trying to keep the two of them apart until she's spayed. Don't say we didn't warn you!

Stressedcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our male cat is technically my boyfriends cat and he does not want to neuter him because of his personal beliefs which I respect 💯 - I on the other hand have no issue with heading my female cat neutered as I don’t want her constantly having to have kittens.
id still talk to your bf about it, he doesnt have to project his own masculinity on a cat. He can get aggresive with her after the spay or even run away from home looking for a female, get numerous of infectious diseases and infect the other cats.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still tell your boyfriend that neutering his cat is the best thing he can do for him. It helps prevent spraying, aggression, trying to escape, and will give him a much better quality of life. I know guys are squeamish about it but really it's not their balls lol. Real men neuter their pets lol. You would have to keep your female separated from him until after she is spayed. Can you do that? She can go back into heat asap after having kittens and the male can even try to get her back into heat by mounting her. Even if the kittens are a few days old or even hours old.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will continue to mate with her whether she is spayed or not. She will have to constantly fight him off. Plus he will start spraying in the house and scream to get out. A real pain. Plus all. the abscesses and horrible wounds from fighting if he does get out.its horrible.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Little known fact...males who are neutered after full sexual maturity can, and often do, still mate, if a female is willing. Tell your boyfriend that he won't be destroying his cat's ability, just his willingness to make havoc over it.