Pregnant cat

ElevenFurbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of your other "followers" I'm certain will answer the question as I've never dealt with issue before. I can only tell by various entries you've made, you are doing the very BEST you can caring for Salem and new babies !
[/QUOTE
As challenging as it may be to commit to both Salem's and Squirt's kitten's I admire your heart. I get it how that Squirt appears to be strictly comfortable among both Salem and Tigger and your not willing to separate them from one another nor interfere with those bonds. I encourage you to a.s.a.p. set up that Go Fund Me account and let followers here know under what user name you do that ! I have already mentioned to hubby I would contribute. Certain a number of followers would be willing to pitch in on behalf of those little ones and their mom's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which kittens are the girls and boys?
Torties can really only be girls and three are torties Luna Yuki Pip & there is a full black one named Onyx who I think is a boy and mostly black with a bit of white one named Nova who I also think is a boy because they both aren't torties and are both just bigger in weight.

063.jpg

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I would be allowed to post a Go Fund Me link here but I will definitely create one! I don't know if they are old enough to bathe them yet but when they are I will definitely do so.
It is not too early to bathe the kittens. In a past Animal Planet show called Too Cute one scene was Persian kittens getting sink baths on the day they were born.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Torties can really only be girls and three are torties Luna Yuki Pip & there is a full black one named Onyx who I think is a boy and mostly black with a bit of white one named Nova who I also think is a boy because they both aren't torties and are both just bigger in weight.
Weight alone does not tell you a newborn kitten's sex. Sometimes runts are boys. Although it will be weeks before the testicles drop it's possible to see if Onyx and Nova lack vaginas.

A few "male" tortoiseshells do exist BTW. However, they actually have three sex chromosomes and do not need to be fixed.

Last edited:

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weight alone does not tell you a newborn kitten's sex. Sometimes runts are boys. Although it will be weeks before the testicles drop it's possible to see if Onyx and Nova lack vaginas.

A few "male" tortoiseshells do exist BTW. However, they actually have three sex chromosomes and do not need to be fixed.
That is what I mean by Torties can really only be girls as it's rare to get a male tortie and they are infertile as far as I know, Three of them have orange from the father, and from my research, that means they are girls that got some orange from dad. Maybe Onyx and Nova might be girls and that is okay but I do still think they are boys

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's weights -

Luna - 156
Yuki - 166
Pip - 153
Onyx - 179
Nova - 169

Should I be worried about Pip only gaining 5g today? Should I start supplementing if she doesn't gain well again tomorrow?

002.jpg 001.jpg

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today's weights -

Luna - 156
Yuki - 166
Pip - 153
Onyx - 179
Nova - 169

Should I be worried about Pip only gaining 5g today? Should I start supplementing if she doesn't gain well again tomorrow?
Is Pip drinking as much milk as the other four? Watch the kittens compete for teats during meal times and see if they are pushing Pip.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I look back at Pip’s gains from the last few days, she’s been gaining very nicely. Five grams is fine for now. They were born late Monday night, and she’s already 5.3 ounces at not quite 5 days old. She only needs to weigh 4 ounces at a week. Just continue to monitor. 👍

ElevenFurbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pet Ag Milk Replacer Plus may be supplemented to Pip through either bottle or (syringe) which is what I recently had on hand and used, no problem. If mama kitty has no problem to your handling Pip and if kitten continues not to thrive as well as others, it's not going to hurt for you to supplement. Based on following info. you may read for yourself, even the smaller kitten (Pip) should be gaining at LEAST between 7 - 8 grams/day. This SAFE milk may also be used to help Salem with increased nutrition and milk production.
Here's that info. :
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their ...
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) – TheCatSite Articles
For an average healthy kitten, StefanZ suggests a weight gain of 10 grams a day as a good rule of thumb. Smaller kittens are expected to gain weight in smaller daily increments. "Beginning day 2 babies should be gaining a minimum of 7 grams," says catwoman707. "The safe area is more than 8 grams and some will gain up to 1/2 oz (14 grams ...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For reference:

Born late Monday night, Sept. 13th, Pip’s weight on Wednesday, when you named them and I can see who’s who, was 113 grams.

Next day, Thursday, she weighed 129 - a gain of 16 grams.

Next day, Friday, she weighed 148 grams - a gain of a whopping 19 grams.

Today, she weighs 153 grams - gain of 5 grams.

So, over 5 days since her birth, Pip has gained 40 grams - which is an average of 8 grams per day.

Her weight is excellent, and kittens tend to gain more some days and less others. Hopefully she continues to keep pace and do well. 😊

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's weights are a little disappointing, especially for Pip & Nova who only gained 5g - 3g
Here are the weights -

Luna - 163
Yuki - 173
Pip - 158
Onyx - 192
Nova -172

I am going to weigh them again in a couple of hours just to double-check.

030.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on a wonderful kitten family! You all are doing great! I concur with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 that Pip is doing well so just continue to monitor for weight gain. Mother's milk is best as it provides antibodies and probiotics that can't be replicated by formula. A good addition for your Kitten Rescue kit would be infants simethicone drops because kittens can get gassy from eating from a bottle; lnfants Mylicon, Little Remedies Gas Relief drops, or similar generic are good. I use 2-3 drops per bottle
As for fundraising, Cash App and PayPal are excellent alternatives to add to your post - it's easier and faster to access the funds while maintaining account protection.