Pregnant cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s clear that you have fleas hatching. You’ll want to remove the cats from the room for a few hours and spay a reliable carpet spray such as Zodiac or Adams. Cats not allowed back in until it dries, and you’ll want to vacuum and wash all bedding.

In the meantime, Revolution is one of THE best topicals for cats for killing worms, fleas, and parasites.

If you follow this protocol for 3 months, you should be flea-free. If you cannot afford Revolution (it’s pricey), use Frontline Plus for cats plus the spray.

You just need to get on top of it for 2-3 months to alleviate the fleas. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s clear that you have fleas hatching. You’ll want to remove the cats from the room for a few hours and spay a reliable carpet spray such as Zodiac or Adams. Cats not allowed back in until it dries, and you’ll want to vacuum and wash all bedding.

In the meantime, Revolution is one of THE best topicals for cats for killing worms, fleas, and parasites.

If you follow this protocol for 3 months, you should be flea-free. If you cannot afford Revolution (it’s pricey), use Frontline Plus for cats plus the spray.

You just need to get on top of it for 2-3 months to alleviate the fleas. Best of luck!
Hello!

I ordered Two Adams home spray and Adams yard spray as well as another 3-month frontline dose that only lasts a month because I have three cats. I don't think it is time to reapply yet but I also ordered the spray you recommended in a 500-mL bottle, I figured frontline wasn't working that well the last time I applied it to them so hopefully this spray does wonders. I can't really afford revolution + everything else I gotta buy so I am sticking with frontline and hoping that this time around with the spray it works better.
I also ordered the PetAg KMR powder you suggested a while back and a miracle nipple as I remember someone saying there is almost always a runt! I swear she is gonna pop any day now so I wanna get ahead of this flea situation before the kittens come.

Thank you Sarthur for all your help and recommendations! I feel a lot better knowing these products will work because they were suggested by you! We tried using some trash dollar store products before and it didn't even work as I suspected it wouldn't.
I just hope she doesn't give birth tomorrow or the next till we eradicate these fleas!

I have one more question about the frontline spray, can it be used on kittens and how old must they be? Just in case these fleas can withstand the hell I am about to put them through.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Adams spray is amazing. I was experiencing a flea outbreak this past spring and I vacuumed and then sprayed Adams a couple of weeks apart, and all the cats received doses of Frontline Plus, and we’ve been flea-free since.

If she’s about to pop, do the room first that she’ll be using with her kittens, because it must dry first. It has a strong smell that lingers for a day or two, but I run a central A/C all day here in Florida. That helps dissipate the smell. It’s worth it to get rid of the fleas.

You cannot use a flea product on the kittens until they are 5-6 weeks old, and their dose is much smaller. They make kitten-dosed tubes. Wait to see if you need it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Adams spray is amazing. I was experiencing a flea outbreak this past spring and I vacuumed and then sprayed Adams a couple of weeks apart, and all the cats received doses of Frontline Plus, and we’ve been flea-free since.

If she’s about to pop, do the room first that she’ll be using with her kittens, because it must dry first. It has a strong smell that lingers for a day or two, but I run a central A/C all day here in Florida. That helps dissipate the smell. It’s worth it to get rid of the fleas.

You cannot use a flea product on the kittens until they are 5-6 weeks old, and their dose is much smaller. They make kitten-dosed tubes. Wait to see if you need it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Well I moved them to another room and sprayed Adams all over the place then sprayed the yard with Adams yard spray, and tried my best to apply frontline flea spray to all cats but squirt my runt is semiferal and it's hard to even move her out of the room she is in without her hissing and running away from me, she is only comfortable when the other cats are around her and even more comfortable like letting me pet her in the master bedroom they all live in but dang does she make it hard to move her to a different room. the last time I picked her up to move her I kinda lost her trust and she gave me lots of bloody scratches on my arms so I use the crate now. I would like to add she let me pick her up at one point and as soon as we got out the door she freaked and did that. so she used to be somewhat fine with it till I had to transfer her from room to room. Well, I did it in the other room and she did not let me touch her like barely at all so I just had to spray it on her while she was moving away when I got too close so I was never able to rub it in that much accept for her back a little bit. I can tell it will take a while and lots of temptations to win her back but it had to be done because of the fleas. when I came back into the room that we sprayed there were only two fleas and I stood there a lot with a flashlight they like light so I think we got most of them and we will do it again in two weeks as it says I think? When I moved them back in the room the cat's coats were pretty much dry. I am hoping I got squirt enough, I might do some touch-ups tomorrow if she is calmer maybe idk if that is a good idea or not. So I sat in the room with them for a while and gave them food and not one flea on me even when I checked after leaving the room, they wouldn't stop attacking my legs before so it's a great improvement. Now, do I also apply frontline plus? I think I still have like a week before it's been 30 days since last I applied it to them. Here are some pictures of Salem and her nipples that changed colors like two days ago I think.

013.jpg 067.jpg 030.jpg 028.jpg 103.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cats may not need the Frontline Plus right away with all the other spraying you’ve been doing. Also, we don’t want any cats getting sick from too much spray and chemicals, so maybe wait awhile on that and see how things go.

I’m sorry your semi-feral was so freaked out. I hope she calms down again soon.

Salem is getting big. Good you’re getting rid of the fleas because they can cause flea anemia and death in tiny kittens. The Adams spray is excellent for keeping eggs from hatching and larvae from developing.

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cats may not need the Frontline Plus right away with all the other spraying you’ve been doing. Also, we don’t want any cats getting sick from too much spray and chemicals, so maybe wait awhile on that and see how things go.

I’m sorry your semi-feral was so freaked out. I hope she calms down again soon.

Salem is getting big. Good you’re getting rid of the fleas because they can cause flea anemia and death in tiny kittens. The Adams spray is excellent for keeping eggs from hatching and larvae from developing.
Hi, I have some good news and some bad. I don't see any fleas in the environment and by that I mean I have been chilling in the room barefoot and no fleas attacking me! I however still see fleas on tigger and he was the one I got best. Will the fleas on them die soon or should I brush them with a flea comb or would that remove the frontline spray? Do I just wait and hope they die?

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feel free to brush them, but Tigger may need a dose of the Frontline Plus.
Should I dose them now or in a week? In a week I think it would be 30 days since last I applied it to them. I have to remember both females are mostly black so I don't really see fleas as easily as I would on Tigger, should I reapply it to all of them today or wait a week? and just to check is it ok to apply it to her if she has already had her kittens and is nursing in a week? would I be doing any harm by doing it a week early on a pregnant cat or cats in general? I want the fleas dead and gone as soon as possible! One more thing is there a youtube video you would recommend someone to watch to learn how to properly feed the runts with the KMR and a miracle nipple because I keep seeing people talking about overfeeding or forcing food down and something about it can get into there lungs and now I am really concerned how I am going to feed a runt if there happens to be one. Also some pictures of Salem today.

124.jpg 136.jpg 046.jpg 073.jpg

Attachments

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK/, curiosity has been getting the best of me, So I have been looking up cat genetics and things. what do you think their kittens will look like? From what I was reading the males will be black with a white spot on their chest and the females will be torties, is that correct?
Curiosity is good. But the answer is never that simple.

She can have calico, dilute calico, tortoiseshell, dilute tortoiseshell, patched tabby, or dilute patched tabby girls. She can also have black and white, black, white, orange tabby and white, orange and white, orange tabby, or solid orange kittens (the latter two would definitely be boys.) I am sure no matter what colors and patterns her kittens have, all of them will be too cute.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have some good news and some bad. I don't see any fleas in the environment and by that I mean I have been chilling in the room barefoot and no fleas attacking me! I however still see fleas on Tigger and he was the one I got best. Will the fleas on them die soon or should I brush them with a flea comb or would that remove the Frontline spray? Do I just wait and hope they die?
Buy a Furminator comb (medium size) if you don't have one already. It looks like a razor, but has teeth at the end instead of a long blade. If you can't afford it, a cheaper flea comb should work, but that is what my vet recommended. Before using it place a paper towel beside Tigger to put the fleas on. I read fleas need to be put down on a white thing for visibility.

Do not reapply Frontline Plus before the 31st day. There is a reason they have a specific timeline on the instructions.

Last edited:

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not yet but I am sure it will be any day now.
Do you have a quiet room set up with this stuff?
  • Big blanket or dog bed for Salem and the kittens
  • Puppy pads or disposable towels for the kittens
  • Everything Sarthur recommended for the kittens

Last edited:

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a quiet room set up with this stuff?
  • Big blanket or dog bed for Salem and her kittens
  • Puppy pads or disposable towels for the kittens
  • Everything Sarthur recommended for the kittens
I have blankets all around in the master bedroom that I placed in different spots I think she would pick. I will get more towels for them to pee on before they arrive. I do have some cat and a big dog bed in the room but the dog bed isn't on the ground, I think she will give birth under the bathroom sink or in another cubby hole type place and they have blankets in there, She gets scared when there is a storm outside and she hides under the sink so I think she feels safe under there which makes me believe she might pick that location. I do have two other cats in the master bedroom that live with her but they are her family and I was told it should be fine leaving them all together in the same room while she gives birth and whatnot. I also don't have any options besides closing her off in the bathroom if it wasn't fine, so I would say she has a quiet room but she isn't alone and I am the only one who goes in the room most of the time. I have powdered KMR and miracle nipples in case of any runts and I have what I need to weigh them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you feel that Tigger needs Frontline Plus, give it. If you feel the pregnant mama needs a dose, also give it. The 30-day guideline is lovely but when you need to eradicate fleas you can apply sooner. Especially before the kittens are born. The time to eradicate fleas is NOW.

It’s good you’ve reviewed videos for supplementing. You won’t need to unless a kitten is struggling. We’ll deal with that after they are born.

Continue on as we have discussed and keep us posted. 😊

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you feel that Tigger needs Frontline Plus, give it. If you feel the pregnant mama needs a dose, also give it. The 30-day guideline is lovely but when you need to eradicate fleas you can apply sooner. Especially before the kittens are born. The time to eradicate fleas is NOW.

It’s good you’ve reviewed videos for supplementing. You won’t need to unless a kitten is struggling. We’ll deal with that after they are born.

Continue on as we have discussed and keep us posted. 😊
Someone just said do not apply before 30 days but it's too late I already went with Sarthur2 advice and I really need these fleas gone so I applied it to them. I am a little scared now after reading someone say that though. 😟

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have blankets all around in the master bedroom that I placed in different spots I think she would pick. I will get more towels for them to pee on before they arrive. I do have some cat and a big dog bed in the room but the dog bed isn't on the ground, I think she will give birth under the bathroom sink or in another cubby hole type place and they have blankets in there, She gets scared when there is a storm outside and she hides under the sink so I think she feels safe under there which makes me believe she might pick that location. I do have two other cats in the master bedroom that live with her but they are her family and I was told it should be fine leaving them all together in the same room while she gives birth and whatnot. I also don't have any options besides closing her off in the bathroom if it wasn't fine, so I would say she has a quiet room but she isn't alone and I am the only one who goes in the room most of the time. I have powdered KMR and miracle nipples in case of any runts and I have what I need to weigh them.
Under the sink or in a cubby hole definitely would be a bad place to whelp. She probably knows that, but just in case, keep that bathroom door shut when labor is imminent.

Salem might not want Tigger and Squirt to get close. New moms get very defensive with their kittens. She will let them know by growling or hissing.