Pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 weeks old today. They’re being wormed this morning which makes me a little nervous. Hopefully all goes well 😊

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mistake they’re being wormed tomorrow morning. Are there any side effects/complications to look out for after worming?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worm meds are mild and generally produce almost no side effects. Which vet are you taking them to?

Also, they seem healthy and content. You can feel free to wait on worming until they are a few weeks older, especially since your mama cat is healthy and worm-free, there is no rush to worm the kittens.

It’s more a preventative and definitely recommended for stray kittens and kittens born of strays.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Worm meds are mild and generally produce almost no side effects. Which vet are you taking them to?

Also, they seem healthy and content. You can feel free to wait on worming until they are a few weeks older, especially since your mama cat is healthy and worm-free, there is no rush to worm the kittens.

It’s more a preventative and definitely recommended for stray kittens and kittens born of strays.
They’d be going to their regular vet. So you think leave it until they’re a little older? I’d definitely feel less nervous if they were a little bit older. These two seem to be in a good place right now. They didn’t want to worm mum during pregnancy but she doesn’t appear to have worms or no sign of that anyway.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe my scales are off. Kept my vet appointment for worming and she said they’re both at 230g. She checked them fully over and said they look fine. I was worried about ones stomach being again quite large, she said it is big but soft so she’s not concerned and feels he’s just feeding a lot. I told her my concerns about worming the babies and she said she would consider not leaving it too long as mum wasn’t wormed during pregnancy. She gave me this worming treatment and wrote down weights vs amounts said I could do it at home next week. Thought I’d ask your opinion Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . At this point I trust here more than the vets.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Panacur is an excellent wormer! That’s great that you can administer it at home next time.

I am delighted to hear they are at 230! Have you tried recalibrating your scale? Or new batteries? Not sure if you’re using digital scales or not.

It sounds like a successful visit, and good to hear she agrees that it’s just a happy milk belly! 😊

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Panacur is an excellent wormer! That’s great that you can administer it at home next time.

I am delighted to hear they are at 230! Have you tried recalibrating your scale? Or new batteries? Not sure if you’re using digital scales or not.

It sounds like a successful visit, and good to hear she agrees that it’s just a happy milk belly! 😊
They haven’t gave any worming treatment because I wasn’t keen for them to do it so they’ve just left it to me to do it. She said maybe in a weeks time. I did recalibrate, it’s digital scales. I might try again.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panacur is a nice mild de-wormer; that's why you have to give it 3 days in a row. So I wouldn't worry about it, I'd probably give it to them at 3 weeks under the circumstances. Has the mama cat been de-wormed?

I feel like vets' scales always run a bit high, but then maybe my scales always run a bit low :tongue: . Anyway, the exact calibration doesn't matter too much, mainly you're looking for steady gains.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't so much the accuracy of the scale, but the fact the kittens are gaining the 10 or more grams every day. Even if inaccurate, your scale is still valuable to tell whether they're gaining satisfactorily. Just keep using it and don't worry unless somebody becomes a backslider.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the vet was off because when I weighed them at home that evening the girl was 225g and the boy was 227g.
Yesterday morning saffron was 231g and Jack was 237g and this morning Saffron is 242g and Jack is 249g so still gaining nicely every day.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Panacur is a nice mild de-wormer; that's why you have to give it 3 days in a row. So I wouldn't worry about it, I'd probably give it to them at 3 weeks under the circumstances. Has the mama cat been de-wormed?

I feel like vets' scales always run a bit high, but then maybe my scales always run a bit low :tongue: . Anyway, the exact calibration doesn't matter too much, mainly you're looking for steady gains.
I’m going to worm from 28th. Thanks I don’t really know much about worming but yes babies are gaining nicely so I’m just going to go with that.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick Q. Normally when I pick up the little ones they’re really warm and toasty. Today they aren’t. They have their hot water bottles but they tend to wander away from it. They don’t feel cold just not warm either. What’s the reason for this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they are beginning to regulate their own body temperatures and need the hot water bottles less. Since they will be 3 weeks old on Friday it sounds about right. They are getting ready to explore outside the nest soon! Not the whole house, of course, just one kitten-safe room. 😊

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they are beginning to regulate their own body temperatures and need the hot water bottles less. Since they will be 3 weeks old on Friday it sounds about right. They are getting ready to explore outside the nest soon! Not the whole house, of course, just one kitten-safe room. 😊
I weighed tonight and saffron hasn’t gained the way she has been. She’s only 247g whereas jack is now over 260g. I’ve noticed that the back nipple doesn’t seem to be producing as much now and they seem to fight over one nipple a lot. Super worried about potentially having to put them back on a bottle after what happened with blue.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I weighed tonight and saffron hasn’t gained the way she has been. She’s only 247g whereas jack is now over 260g. I’ve noticed that the back nipple doesn’t seem to be producing as much now and they seem to fight over one nipple a lot. Super worried about potentially having to put them back on a bottle after what happened with blue.
I just squeezed the back nipple and milk is coming out, but neither kitten seems to want to stay latched onto that one. Jack is actually 168 so 20 grams above saffron now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has Saffron gained since yesterday?

It’s not unusual for male kittens to be larger than their female siblings. I thought my little Prissy would never hit 3 pounds a few years back, while her 3 brothers were all nearing 4 pounds already.