Pregnant cat

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all I’m new here and looking for help/advice. I bought a Ragdoll kitten last January (2020) She was sold on by my partner without my permission. After a lengthy time and a court order, she was finally returned to me after 6 months away. When I got her back I discovered she had been living with a male Ragdoll. I was assured they had not mated. Over 2 weeks I noticed changes in her weight and she seemed to be quite swollen so I took her to the vet (thinking it was probably worms) but explained she had been living with a male, not seriously thinking she could be pregnant. The vet gave her an ultrasound and confirmed she was indeed pregnant. This was a few weeks ago and the vet seemed to think she was quite advanced. I got her back around the middle of June so I’m guessing she must be pretty close but the people who had her are still insisting that the two cats didn’t mate and not did the female go outside. So I cannot know at all the exact date she would be due. I’m absolutely furious as not knowing means I can’t know if she’s late. She has been really large almost like her head is too small for her body but today she suddenly looks a good bit smaller. I can still feel movement in her stomach. I’m really worried and at a loss. The photo is of her the other day when she was at her largest. Is it normal that she has suddenly gotten smaller? She has also taken to begging for rubs then biting me when I do stroke her. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

furbabies21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days before cats give birth their bellies "drop" which makes them appear smaller. The kittens are now in position to be birthed. I'm not sure of the exact time frame, but I believe you should only have to wait somewhere around 1-3 days, but maybe longer. I am sure you will get a more thorough response from someone else who knows more. Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is normal for them to be visibly smaller towards the end. She has 'dropped' meaning the kittens have all lined up at the birth canal ready to be born. So she is close. Shouldn't be longer than a week. I wouldn't worry too much about her being late, it takes as long as it takes. Premature kittens almost always do very poorly or die. As long as she is acting normal, not stressed, hiding, meowing, or quits eating, everything is fine and normal. I am so happy for both of you she is home. All the luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let’s hope she did mate with the rag doll male. Then you’ll have pure rag doll kittens.

I agree with the above ladies. She’s nearly ready to go into labor soon - any day now.

Do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can’t say for sure what she mated with, I just know she was living with a male Ragdoll. I’m glad she’s home cos god only knows what life she would have had there if they’re not even willing to tell me dates for her own well-being. I’m convinced they’re lying and just shirking the responsibility of their actions here. I know I’m probably panicking over nothing but just been reading not to let them go past day 70 and me not having any clue whatsoever how far along she is, is just making me worry so much. She seems fine in herself. I’m not even totally sure what her “normal” behaviour even is with her having been gone from me for so long. I’m hoping for a small litter and I’ll just keep them with me. Crazy cat lady in the making. 😁

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let’s hope she did mate with the rag doll male. Then you’ll have pure rag doll kittens.

I agree with the above ladies. She’s nearly ready to go into labor soon - any day now.

Do keep us posted!
To be honest unless both are papered they probably aren't ragdolls. Colorpoints are very common in domestic short and long hair. I've seen a ton of regular DSH/DLH colorpoints be listed as purebreds even though they have siblings who arent colorpoints 🤦‍♀️

If you wanna know for sure you can bring her to the vet for xrays.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest unless both are papered they probably aren't ragdolls. Colorpoints are very common in domestic short and long hair. I've seen a ton of regular DSH/DLH colorpoints be listed as purebreds even though they have siblings who arent colorpoints 🤦‍♀️

If you wanna know for sure you can bring her to the vet for xrays.
She is papered, I have no idea about the male or if he is indeed the father as they told me they didn’t mate so they could also be lying about her never being outside. I don’t trust them at all. I’m not overly bothered as long as the little ones are healthy and she is healthy. That’s all that matters to me. She’ll be spayed once she’s done with nursing and raising the babies and would have been spayed months ago had she been with me.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful Please keep us posted We will need pictures of the kittens haha You have support here for the birth if needed
Thank you, I’ve a feeling I’m going to need that support. I will keep you all posted 🙂

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She seemed to have a little bit of discharge today and keeps hiding behind a cushion on the sofa but still looking well. She’s eating, drinking, seeking affection, purring etc. I can see and feel movement when she lays on my lap but not nearly as much as there has been over the last week or two. There hasn’t been any biting today.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. What early signs should I be looking out for? Willow is a little restless tonight and grooming more than usual. I keep seeing her sides twitching but not rippling (like I’ve read in these forums it would be if she was in labour) she will suddenly look startled and then start grooming herself quite rapidly. On the other hand she is also still playing with her favourite toy, the discharge from the other day was minimal and hasn’t repeated and she is still eating here and there throughout the day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have everything to hand that I might need. I’ve made a little box with scales, some small clean scissors, k
Thank you. I’m so nervous about it. I’ve never experienced anything like this before. I have a box ready just from reading advice on these forums to other people. But she’s my little baby so I can’t help but worry. I’ll go read those links. 🙏😊

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops ignore the top half of that message, not sure what happened. Was trying to say I have a box ready with kitten milk replacement, gloves, scissors, scales, oh just everything I saw you guys advising others, just so I’m prepared for every scenario.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi any updates?
Still no labour but I think maybe it was pre-labour like sarthur said as she had previously had a little discharge but she’s now definitely lost her mucus plug and she’s desperately digging into my sofa trying to fit in the gaps. I keep having to pull her away incase her little head gets stuck. She’s not really eating today either and wants me to rub her tummy, which she normally hates. Usually if you touch her stomach she will swipe at you.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today she started crying like the sound of a cat in heat. Then her tail started vibrating. She went into her nesting area but kept trying to get me to follow her. She was visibly having contractions and stretching her back legs out during them. Then it just stopped. She’s either urinated or her waters have broken because the floor under her is really wet with water so I’ve changed her blankets.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is anyone here? I noticed there was a sac hanging out of her but still no contractions. She started licking at it for ages and it just went back in. I’ve called the vet and they’ve said to leave her on her own for a while as me being there might be making her anxious but when I leave she follows me out and cries at me. I’m waiting for them to call me back but they seem to be in no hurry and I’m getting really anxious.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sit quietly with her and reassure her. If she's comfortable, it's more likely the contractions will continue. It does take time.