Pregnant cat?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I sure hope she will get back on her meds, and if not, your sister will need to stay with you. Fan and open windows sound good. Are there screens in the windows? You don’t want the cat to get out! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah the screens are down lol she loves to sit on the windowsill but she’s too big to lay on them now :) thank you I think we might be taking her to the doctor soon to see what they think I should do about my mom. I’ll keep you updated as stuff progresses with Jolene :)

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a little update my mother is now at the ER and is probably going to go to a mental health facility to get help for a bit. Also now I can see when the kittens move in Jolene’s belly and it’s crazy. Can they treat a possible upper respiratory infection and eye infection in pregnant cats or would I have to wait until she had them? I just don’t want her to pass that onto the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she can be treated for both while pregnant, and please do. She needs to be healthy to handle labor, delivery, and nursing soon.

It’s good your mom is getting help.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so she’s had 2 black with gray stripes, one fully white one, and one half black half white one and she’s handling it very well but her eyes are now very watery?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are mom and kittens doing this morning? Is it still just two?

How are mom’s eyes today? Sounds like they were watery from the exertion and pain of childbirth. You can gently wipe them with a cloth if need be. Or are they still watering?

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday she had 4 and they were all delivered within an hour and a half. No more eye watering, also I’ll attach 2 images of the kittens where Jolene left them alone for a minute to use the litter box lol

Attachments

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so firstly i would like to say the kittens are doing great and are pretty big already lol they are starting to almost fully open their eyes and one we named Milo is already trying to walk. I was wondering how the first vet visit should go, I read online but I’m a bit confused about it.

CntrldbyCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also found confusing info online when my babies were born and was very conflicted, but ended up bringing the whole family in at my vets suggestion to make sure momma and babies were doing well when the kits were only 2 days old.
It was a very stressful ordeal and although I felt better that the kittens and mom got as clean of a bill of health as they could at that stage (no congenital deformities, momma cat was x-rayed to make sure no kittens were left) I ended up regretting not waiting.

2-3 days later, Bronia got very sick, she was extremely congested and had green snot coming out of her nose and the 5 DAY day old babies were not far behind. Had to put momma AND babies on antibiotics and the babies were SO young.
Now, I cannot be 100% sure they got sick from the vets office...but they were completely isolated at my house prior to the visit. The timing was a little too coincidental.
The babies were OK in the long run, they were sick for about 3 days but it could've turned dangerous quickly I'm sure.
Just wanted to add my personal experience, I am a huge worry wort like yourself and totally understand the feeling of wanting to do what is absolutely best.
It gets kinda tiring, lol.
Beautiful babies (and momma too) btw, glad they're doing well!

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay thank goodness I asked because online it says at 2 weeks to take them all in to get dewormed and then again at 4 weeks then 6 weeks. However I was going to take Jolene because I think she might have allergies or an URI and also wasn’t sure how to go about that.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe not an URI but her eyes are pink around them and she is less sneezy but kinda sneezy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s best to get her vet checked in case she needs antibiotics if it is a URI. If you take her you take the kittens with her since they are so young. It sounds like something is going on that is and has been affecting her eyes. I’d get her checked.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello so I would like to start with saying the kittens are doing great and so is mom, I made an appointment to get them all fixed (including mom) and that’ll take place next month. They’re all walking, running, playing, jumping, climbing but only one of them is eating wet food (she also sneaks the mom’s dry food when I’m not looking) but none of the others will eat even when I mixed water with the wet food. None of them have pooped or peed to my knowledge but I’m not sure if the mom is still licking them to do it or not, they’re still nursing about 3 times a day but I’m not sure if I should take them to the vet over this or if it’s normal. I’ll also insert some very recent pics of the kittens.

Attachments

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well everyone it saddens me very much to say this and I feel as though I can’t leave the house now because this happened but the white kitten passed away yesterday. The kittens are still eating good and Jolene has become a bit more aggressive with the kittens I’m assuming due to this, but she has been calling around the house for the other kitten and every time I can’t help but to cry. I just thought I would share this here considering you guys have been with me since the middle of her pregnancy.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how to help her through the grieving process? She keeps running around the house meowing and she only barely eats I don’t know what to do, it just makes me really sad.

CntrldbyCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how to help her through the grieving process? She keeps running around the house meowing and she only barely eats I don’t know what to do, it just makes me really sad.
I am so sorry to hear that you lost a kitten. Having followed this thread from the beginning, I think you did such an amazing job caring for Jolene and her kits and I know how much you care about her and them.

Please take solace in the fact that because of you, the short amount of time the kitten spent on this earth was in safety and surrounded by love.

As far as Jolene grieving, from what I understand, is that queens do not grieve for long as their survival instinct dictates that they must focus on the survival of their remaining offspring, although I'm sure each cat is different.
I would maybe try to distract her as much as possible, trying to coax her into playing possibly and giving her extra love. I think other then that it just takes time, just like with human grief.

I'm not sure, but I get the impression that you've taken the little family to the vet in the past...can you call your vet to see what he thinks about Jolene's grieving?
Especially since she's not eating well, perhaps the vet will think it's worth checking her out to see if there might be an underlying issue making her eat less besides grief.

How are the rest of the kittens doing?