Pregnant cat?

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I’ve had my current cat for a month and a half, her name is Jolene (around 8 months old based on the vet visit when I first got her) she was an outside cat in our heavily cat populated trailer park and she came inside. I got her dewormed, treated for an upper respiratory infection, and they checked to see if she was spayed (she was not) so I was looking for a different place to spay her but they were booked up so I’m waiting for my appointment currently. I started to notice how weird her stomach felt when I picked her up a few weeks into having her but now everyone has noticed her change, she only wants to lay with me now and be near me and her stomach sticks out on both sides. I hope that was enough info I’ll attach a pic. Thank you for reading this :)
6D2F80F4-5747-4AC9-91BA-F289912DB163.jpeg
E01E6E1E-3B3F-469E-B6FD-5E16ECEC0428.jpeg
5C6660A0-D09A-4B88-A5F8-A2A3FF07A968.jpeg
FA3CA2B7-86ED-4D09-A483-1BE44FBB9D26.jpeg
219A7FD8-A667-437E-977D-C6AC1696E350.png

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s pregnant for sure! Read up on the articles at the top of this forum to get full info on pregnant cats and prepare for kittens. Once you see and feel actual kitten movement it’s usually about 2 weeks to labor and delivery. Thank goodness you took her in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I’m really surprised the vet missed this last time but I’ll cancel the spay appointment and make an appointment at the local vet :)

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her nipples are quite pink and swollen and she won’t really let me look but they look kinda cone shaped I think? Do you think I should go to the vet for him to check her out or just wait for the delivery?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would just wait unless she is having problems. 😊

However, the vet can do an x-ray that will show how many kittens and the approximate gestational age if you want to know.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure but I think she might be very close to going into labor. When she goes to my room she purrs very loudly and she’s been sitting in my closet and looking around frantically. She’s also never been vocal but she’s been chirping and meowing at me and been very affectionate. She’s been drinking so much that I have to fill her water bowl up every hour or so but today she’s stopped eating and drinking so much. I feel like it’s a waiting game currently.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she’s in labor! She’s purring through contractions. Keep us posted!

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today she stopped eating completely and drinking, not even her favorite wet food. Someone’s fixing the leak in the hall so she can’t go to her nesting area right now but they will be done in about 20 minutes so thank god It’ll be ready if she delivers tonight. She also ran into my grandpa’s room into his closet but I had to move her out of there and shut his door because he’s not fully there and would be very upset. I’ll continue to update as stuff comes up :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she doing today? Have you seen contractions at all?

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I don’t know what to look for with contractions but she’s been very sleepy and even when she does get up her eyes look very tired.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t think I’ve seen any but I’m not sure, I’ll update you tonight because I feel like tonight might be the night.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update: I just made her a makeshift nesting area for her to give birth with a box cut out on the side of it so she could get into it because she couldn’t jump into the box due to her belly. She got in it and stayed until I left the room. I do have one question, ever since we’ve had her she’s always ripped up the carpet and kinda thrown it into her food and water after she was done eating or drinking even if there’s water or food left in her bowl and I’m not sure why?

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I’m freaking out just a little because I noticed she smells like her litter box if you know what I mean and I looked online and now I’m worried she has pyometra but maybe it was just due to the litter box. Im a worrier lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the wild, cats literally cover the prey they’ve caught so other predators do not take it. In the house, cats will paw and pretend to cover their food as this is an instinct. I think your cat is trying to cover her food.

What do you mean she smells like her litter box? If she is unable to clean her back end you can do it for her with a warm damp cloth.

Pyometra is rare. Your cat appears to be pregnant, but if you are unsure you can get her scanned at the vet.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so no update on her pregnancy, however there have been new stressors added to the household. My mother and younger sister just moved in with me and my mother is not very mentally well right now due to her stopping medications and she smokes about a pack of cigarettes a day and she’s smoking inside and I have no idea what to do because she won’t listen to me and I know second hand smoke is super harmful to cats and third hand smoke, could I put Jolene in the room she’s been nesting in to prevent it hurting her while she smokes? Also she has been sneezing like crazy previous to my mother moving in yesterday, she sneezed for about 20 seconds straight also her eye looks irritated around the edges and she’s been half closing it a lot. Sorry for the long message just very stressed lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how terrible! Your cat sounds like the smoke is really bothering her. Can you open a window a tiny bit in the areas where your mom smokes? It’s not good for you or your little sister either! Are they living with you for the foreseeable future? Is there a patio or balcony where your mom could smoke?

Also, can you put your cat in your bedroom with a window open a tiny bit for air circulation and the bedroom door closed?

You could also look into an air purifier that helps take smoke out of the house but I’m not sure how much they cost.

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this new dynamic now.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully it probably won’t be for long, she is looking for an apartment currently but I don’t think it would be a good idea for her to leave with my sister because she stopped taking her schizophrenia medicine a week ago along with all her other meds. I can’t ask her to go outside because she’s in a very very emotional state at the moment. I have a fan plugged in the living room (which is where she’s smoking) and 2 windows are open. Thank you for listening to me, I’m hopeful for the future.