Pregnant cat

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all :) my queen mated on the 8th feb but then came back into heat on the 19th and mated again on the 20th. Last Tuesday she went to the vets to confirm pregnancy and to my suprise he said she is atleast 7 weeks which would mean the first mate worked, but then came back into heat almost 2 weeks later and mated again 😩 so my question is, could the vet be wrong about this? He was pretty certain about it. This would mean she’s day 59 and due any day but I see no signs at all apart from twice I’ve seen a little dry milk on one of her nipples. What would happen if she caught the second time too😩 sorry for the long post!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Male cats will mount pregnant females. Was she squirming around a lot when the male on her? The symptoms of a pregnant female are quite similar to hers when she's in heat. Don't be sorry about the length! It wasn't long at all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Male cats will mount pregnant females. Was she squirming around a lot when the male on her? The symptoms of a pregnant female are quite similar to hers when she's in heat. Don't be sorry about the length! It wasn't long at all!
It was definitely heat she did the usual scream when mating. This is why I’m so confused with my vet being so sure that she is due to give birth any day now. Thankyou for replying :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you vet do an x-ray or sonogram? It does sound like she is due in 7-10 days. If she successfully conceived the second time she will either have preemies who may or may not survive, or her body may hold them longer and deliver them later. It’s difficult to know.

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you vet do an x-ray or sonogram? It does sound like she is due in 7-10 days. If she successfully conceived the second time she will either have preemies who may or may not survive, or her body may hold them longer and deliver them later. It’s difficult to know.
No he didn’t. He just had a feel and said there’s no way she’s only 5 weeks as the sacs are as big as the palm of his hand which would be atleast 7 weeks. I am wondering if maybe I should book her in for a scan or just wait it out.🤔

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would just wait it out at this point. They will all be born soon enough and what will be, will be. Even if there are a couple of late-comers you will have no control over whether they come preemie or later. It’s all up to mom’s body at this point. Just prepare to supplement preemies with a tiny 1-2mL syringe or Miracle Nipples. Those you can order online. I would suggest you do that. Otherwise, mom’s body will do its own thing in the next few days to a week or so. Keep us posted!

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would just wait it out at this point. They will all be born soon enough and what will be, will be. Even if there are a couple of late-comers you will have no control over whether they come preemie or later. It’s all up to mom’s body at this point. Just prepare to supplement preemies with a tiny 1-2mL syringe or Miracle Nipples. Those you can order online. I would suggest you do that. Otherwise, mom’s body will do its own thing in the next few days to a week or so. Keep us posted!
Yes I have everything prepared, feeding bottle/syringes and formula. Also a heated Matt. But I’ve been reading that maybe a hot water bottle covered with blankets is better? Yes I will do :) Thankyou for your advice if there is preemies in there I just hope she holds them in just a little bit longer 🤞🤞

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think a heated mat is better IF you can set it on low under the blankets with room to move off. A hot water bottle is okay, but has to be replenished. Glad you are prepared! 😊

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think a heated mat is better IF you can set it on low under the blankets with room to move off. A hot water bottle is okay, but has to be replenished. Glad you are prepared! 😊
Okay :) it has settings on it so I can turn it up and down. My girl is grooming herself a lot more today than I’ve seen her do in weeks. Also seen a little bit of discharge, I’m really hoping it isn’t time yet 🤞

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She does sound close, but discharge can come and go for a few days before the big event - but it is usually a sign that her body is preparing.

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible that the vet was wrong about the size of the kittens? She had abit of dried mucus on her vulva yesterday and in her fur. She has been nesting but to me she just doesn’t look ready. Her mammary glands don’t look overly swollen yet. She hasn’t lost any fur on her belly. Even though she constantly has dried milk on her nipples. She is day 64 tomorrow and I definitely don’t see it happening any time soon!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet can be off a little, but if she’s on day 64 her body is preparing and kittens will be here soon. Her milk will come in and the kittens will suckle the fur away.

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no kittens, she’s booked in for a scan on Monday if kittens arnt here by then, day 67 today, she feels full of milk but has done for a few days no signs at all of labour. 😩😩

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
M Millyblossom90

If she did not conceive until Feb. 20th, she is just now approaching 8 weeks. Otherwise, it’s any day now, It’s difficult to know since she mated twice almost 2 weeks apart. So, the longer she holds the kittens the better for now. If she only conceived on the second mating, the kittens need another week. An x-ray of each horn will reveal how many kittens and if they are ready to be born. If they are ready, her body will go into labor soon after. The fact she went back into heat leads me to believe that no conception occurred the first time. Most cats do not experience heat again after they have mated and conceived, though it is not impossible.

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M Millyblossom90

If she did not conceive until Feb. 20th, she is just now approaching 8 weeks. Otherwise, it’s any day now, It’s difficult to know since she mated twice almost 2 weeks apart. So, the longer she holds the kittens the better for now. If she only conceived on the second mating, the kittens need another week. An x-ray of each horn will reveal how many kittens and if they are ready to be born. If they are ready, her body will go into labor soon after. The fact she went back into heat leads me to believe that no conception occurred the first time. Most cats do not experience heat again after they have mated and conceived, though it is not impossible.
The only reason I thought she conceived on the first mating is because the vet was so sure she was over 7 weeks when in fact she should have only been 5 weeks. But I am thinking the vet was completely wrong and she’s not due until the 24th. I honestly wish I’d have just had them do an X-ray rather than just have a feel 🤯

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ll just say that without x-rays vets are just guessing as much as you or I are, especially when the exact due date is unknown. Just hang on, she’s getting there either way! 😊

Millyblossom90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she’s been scanned, vet was way off the mark and I was right with the due date all along. She’s not quite ready yet she’s due on Saturday! Panick over 🎉 thank god 😻😻