Pregnant Cat

PeanutOllieLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone this is the first time I've ever dealt with a pregnant cat so please no rude or negative comments. my outside cat Willow is fixed and I have a little door to my garage for her, anyway I went out to check on her a few months back and found another cat in my garage so I've been feeding it I've tried to catch it with a humane trap but no luck the cat wasn't letting me even get close to it but it would leave and then the next day it'd be back. The cat disseapered for a while, but a couple weeks ago it came back I'm guessing it's a female because the cats huge now I've been doing research and I think she's pregnant, I've been keeping an eye on her and she started to follow me, rub up against me and now meowing she actually let me get close enough to pet her, however I'm not sure when she's gonna give birth if anyone could help me out she been showing some signs (from the research I did )but I'm not sure she was laying behind a bunch of boxes up in the loft of my garage. Any advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PeanutOllieLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make her a nest, and keep an eye on her. She may be close. Make sure she has food and water at all times. Sit nearby if she'll let you.

Here are some helpful links, and I'm happy to answer any questions:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Hopefully you can get her spayed when the kittens are weaned.

Thank you for giving her food and shelter.

Do you have a picture of her?
I made her a nest and I closed up the cat door to keep her in, she moved spots and won't go near the nest I made. She did let me go up to her while she was laying down and let me pet her. She got up a couple times and ate what seems like twice her body weight here's a picture of where she is now

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks content! She may use the nest later on. Many cats don't use it until delivery time.

PeanutOllieLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone this is the first time I've ever dealt with a pregnant cat so please no rude or negative comments. my outside cat Willow is fixed and I have a little door to my garage for her, anyway I went out to check on her a few months back and found another cat in my garage so I've been feeding it I've tried to catch it with a humane trap but no luck the cat wasn't letting me even get close to it but it would leave and then the next day it'd be back. The cat disseapered for a while, but a couple weeks ago it came back I'm guessing it's a female because the cats huge now I've been doing research and I think she's pregnant, I've been keeping an eye on her and she started to follow me, rub up against me and now meowing she actually let me get close enough to pet her, however I'm not sure when she's gonna give birth if anyone could help me out she been showing some signs (from the research I did )but I'm not sure she was laying behind a bunch of boxes up in the loft of my garage. Any advice?
Okay now she's up and walking for a few mi tues and then she lays/sits like this for a few minutes, thoughts? Also she's starting to come by me more

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's nearing the end and she's uncomfortable. Try to be patient.

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
She does look pregnant.
I know it's hard to be patient but she'll have them soon. Could you feed her kitten food maybe? Pregnant kitties need a bit of extra calories to feed all those babies.
Let us know when she has them :)

PeanutOllieLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding her wet kitten food 3-4 times a day plus she has a big bowl of dry food at all times, thank you so much I will let you know when she has them

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing everything right. Don't forget to take pictures of mom and kittens on the "big day". ;)

PeanutOllieLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No kittens yet, I decided to name her Little Dipper she's very affectionate it's crazy to think she once wouldn't even come near me, now she waits by the door to my garage for me to come out. I have another dilemma though I was outside walking around the property and I noticed another stray cat she was very feral but she looks like she's nursing, no ear tip and no collar. We have quite a few coyotes and foxes around here any advice on trying to find the kittens? I would like to find them if they're young enough I'll find them homes but if they're older and feral I'll TNR them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to follow mom to see where she goes.

Otherwise, she will bring her kittens to you for food when it's weaning time around 5-6 weeks old.

In the meantime, your best bet is to start feeding mom twice a day. She probably needs the food desperately, and feeding her on your property will almost guarantee that she will stay nearby so that you can TNR or rehome both mom and kittens.

Thank you for caring! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes its possible to follow momma. Normally she will do everything to lead you astray. But if she knows you are friendly = her food source, you may succeed. Talk seeetly talk friendly. Spray yourself with feliway? It may succeed.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Does Willow go near Dipper? How is she doing with the new addition to your home? You said she was an outside cat, so I wonder how she's doing now that you have closed up the garage entrance.

PeanutOllieLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Willow go near Dipper? How is she doing with the new addition to your home? You said she was an outside cat, so I wonder how she's doing now that you have closed up the garage entrance.
Yes willows starting too I found them laying by each other the other morning she seems fine with her. She's been really hyper though since I closed the garage entrance

PeanutOllieLuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oka
You'll need to follow mom to see where she goes.

Otherwise, she will bring her kittens to you for food when it's weaning time around 5-6 weeks old.

In the meantime, your best bet is to start feeding mom twice a day. She probably needs the food desperately, and feeding her on your property will almost guarantee that she will stay nearby so that you can TNR or rehome both mom and kittens.

Thank you for caring! :)
okay I will feed her hopefully if I try to follow her she won't get spooked thank you