Pregnant cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just looked at her again and one of her nipples was sticking out. She's got a very fluffy belly so thats really unusual for her. I'm so confused. I really cant wait until my car is fixed so i can take her in. (Sorry about the mess in the picture)

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What mess? ;) 

Her belly does look a bit swollen,  but I still think the nipples are not pregnancy-like. Let us know soon about the appointment :)  Swollen belly and changed behavior can mean medical things too. I would go asap just to be safe.

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol. I didn't know if you could see any of the surrounding mess. She's been camping out in my boy's room for a week and they are not tidy.

My husband suddenly remembered she went into heat on 8/20 which just leaves me with so many questions that I need to ask the vet. Why did I think it was so much longer ago? If it was just early pregnancy how did her behavior and appearance change when its normally impossible to see changes so early? She hasnt gotten any bigger this week, it was just that initial gain. Today would be 21 days from when she went into heat and I remember it being unusually short. I didnt think anything of it because she only goes into heat 3x a year only in the summer and when she does she's not loud and has no interest in being outside and mostly just irritates my other female. Her nipples actually look paler today than last week so I'm like 75% sure this isnt pregnancy. My vet is great but they only take appointments same day so I need to borrow a car and call first thing Monday morning and hope they have an appointment that doesnt conflict with drop off and pick up for school. Since I haven't had a car to help at the cat rescue and I dont have any fosters right now I think I've irrationally obsessed over this. Maybe I just imagined it, I dont know. It does coinside with when I returned my foster and my car broke down. Maybe I just gave her more attention and started feeding her more to fill that gap and she's just responding to the change in MY behavior.

Oh well, thanks for reading!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does not sound like she's pregnant. Why don't you get her spayed now? She will be much healthier and safe from uterine problems.

Last edited:

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, as I said a couple times in previous comments, I am going to get her spayed if she's not pregnant. So since she's not pregnant, logically I'm going to get her spayed. Thanks for making sure I remember.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol. I didn't know if you could see any of the surrounding mess. She's been camping out in my boy's room for a week and they are not tidy.

My husband suddenly remembered she went into heat on 8/20 which just leaves me with so many questions that I need to ask the vet. Why did I think it was so much longer ago? If it was just early pregnancy how did her behavior and appearance change when its normally impossible to see changes so early? She hasnt gotten any bigger this week, it was just that initial gain. Today would be 21 days from when she went into heat and I remember it being unusually short. I didnt think anything of it because she only goes into heat 3x a year only in the summer and when she does she's not loud and has no interest in being outside and mostly just irritates my other female. Her nipples actually look paler today than last week so I'm like 75% sure this isnt pregnancy. My vet is great but they only take appointments same day so I need to borrow a car and call first thing Monday morning and hope they have an appointment that doesnt conflict with drop off and pick up for school. Since I haven't had a car to help at the cat rescue and I dont have any fosters right now I think I've irrationally obsessed over this. Maybe I just imagined it, I dont know. It does coinside with when I returned my foster and my car broke down. Maybe I just gave her more attention and started feeding her more to fill that gap and she's just responding to the change in MY behavior.

Oh well, thanks for reading!
At 3 weeks, the nipples can chance any moment now if she is indeed pregnant. Some start changing color at 4 weeks, some at 2, some don't change color all pregnancy. This short they also don't start to grow a lot, so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

I have had a girl who gained 1 full kilo (which is a lot for her) in the first 4 weeks. She also got seemingly bigger, while I knew she couldn't have gotten fatter of the babies yet. Every girl reacts to the hormones differently and can act on it really quickly. I also have a girl with morning sickness. She already gets sick 2 days into her pregnancy, that's basically how we can tell she's pregnant. It doesn't last long luckily, but it always amazes me how their hormones work and how every pregnancy and female is so different.

Let's just wait for your appointment to clear the confusion up.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not sound like she's pregnant. Why don't you get her spayed now? She will be much healthier and safe from uterine problems.
The first thing is to know what we are dealing with. Then decisions can be taken. The OP has already said she will get the cat spayed.