Pregnant cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Huge thank you for your comments. I really enjoyed reading your opinions on the possible pregnancy and I'll update when I know more.

As for the others, please stop forcing what I should do down my throat. I appreciate your vigilance to the cause but I dont know how i can make it any clearer that I understand that we don't need anymore kittens in the world. You are a wonderful advocate educating the cat breeding masses. Please give me the benefit of the doubt that I know about the "not pregnant" things i should do and just made a mistake but need help with the "pregnant" stuff.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mapo5 mapo5

We are happy to help with your cat's pregnancy and kittens! We are, however, a pro spay/neuter site, so we do encourage owners to separate intact males and females.

We also suggest alternatives when it is unclear if a cat is pregnant, as some members prefer early termination, and you did not specify whether you wanted her to have kittens or not in your original post.

No one is forcing anything on you, just offering suggestions.

It's understood that you were asking if we think your cat looks pregnant. It is almost impossible to say from your pictures. Cats can have phantom pregnancies, and the uterine infection called pyometra also causes uterine swelling, so guessing can be iffy.

Nipples pink up around the 21-day mark, and most cats begin to show around 5 weeks along.

Here are some links to assist you:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-tell-if-my-cat-is-pregnant

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-pregnancy

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-do-i-know-when-my-cat-will-give-birth

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/pregnant-cat-what-to-prepare-for-the-birth

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/help-my-cat-is-having-kittens

I hope this helps! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please understand that the issue is not the initial suggestions. I agree with the cause and wrote that in my post and comments. I'm sorry if there is a misunderstanding in ediquette here, maybe its just difficult in written word.

Thank you for the important links and references.

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the best food for pregnant cats? Which should be avoided?
Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant cats need dry kitten chow, and as much wet food as they want, preferably chicken or turkey where meat is the first ingredient. That is the case with Fancy Feast Classic flavors. Fish is not really good for cats.

She can also have plain, boiled chicken, broth, boiled egg, plain yogurt, and cheese. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok great! Thank you!

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wait one more question. Is it possible to overfeed at all?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, pregnant cats should be fed as much as they want. Kitten chow should be available 24/7.

Last edited:

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eva update: She started meowing at me (with her super loud siamese voice) and wouldnt stop until I brought food up to her because she didnt want to go downstairs. It took me a few tries to figure out why she was yelling at me because she's always just gone to the food downstairs if she was hungry. She's also eating more than I ever knew a cat could eat. And suddenly she comes to me when i call her name so now I know that before this she was just purposefully ignoring me!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, pregnant cats should be fed as much as they want. Kitten chow should be available 24/7.
Dry food is not good for cats, and especially not for pregnant ones.
High protein, high moisture, low carb food is the optimal food for cats, pregnant or not :)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I wasnt able to get in until after the holiday weekend. Just trying to gain knowledge and prepare while I wait. I haven't changed her food yet since i dont know for sure. And I just wanted to update as I impatiently wait for the appt.

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know. I hate having to wait! I will absolutely update as soon as i find out! thank you

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My car broke down over the weekend so I have to reschedule the vet until it's repaired. I dont think she's pregnant anymore though because I would expect her nipples to be bigger. I cant explain the mood change but I like it so why complain. And we'll just have to put her on a diet for the weight gain. I'll update this thread if I find out anything else.
Thanks!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep an eye on her. Pyometra is a potentially deadly infection of the uterus that causes the belly to swell as fluid accumulates. It mimics pregnancy, without the nipples swelling.

Eventually, cats become ill. If the uterus bursts, they can die. If she has open pyometra, you'll see vaginal discharge.

Watch for signs, and get her checked out as soon as you can! Unspayed, non-pregnant cats rarely gain a lot of weight.

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely will!!!