pregnant cat!

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is pregnant, or at least I think she is! I've had her since July last year when I took her in, she was a stray and had been hanging around my place of work for weeks, she was a very skinny little thing when I brought her home.

I took her to the vets who said he thought she had been spayed as there was no obvious signs of a current or recent pregnancy and given that I had a male intact cat at the time, he said it was highly likely she had been spayed. so things had been going great great with her, shes very healthy and likes to 'argue' with my resident male cat, who has since been done.

I decided to keep her as an indoor cat and she was quite contempt with this until mid-late January she started crying to go outside all the time (she did go out every now and then but started wanting to go out more).

I didn't think anything of her somewhat strange behaviour at first, I just thought she was more comfortable with her surroundings and was exploring the neighbourhood. but 4 weeks ago i noticed her belly looking rather swell, I've kept an eye on her recently and her stomach has grown into like a barrel shape, her nipples are larger but not huge, and her attitude stinks haha, she wont let me touch her! I can feel lumps in her stomach easily but there is not much movement going on.

After extensive research I've estimated that she's around 7/8 weeks but i'm leaning more towards 8, due her size and behaviour, please can somebody give me any advice on pregnant cats and birth?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will when I change computer, there i have some links...

Latest in the morning.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are some links to beging and read.

Look also for  youtube.films.

ps.  Some links to read: 

One from this site:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/pregnancy-and-delivery-in-cats

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

http://www.cat-world.com.au/parturition-birth-in-cats

http://www.icatcare.org/advice-centre/cat-care/normal-cat-birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is showing signs of being heavily pregnant, she's wants to be alone a lot, very moody, rounded tummy, slightly enlarged nipples, her bulge just appeared around 3 and a half weeks ago, doesnt seem to have got much bigger since then. By my estimations she should be around 8 weeks but there is still no movement going on from within her tummy.

She eats like a pig too! Is it possible she's not pregnant at all or could she just be having a small litter? Can you still feel kittens moving if there is only say 2 or 3 kittens inside there?

Last edited:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yep she looks pregnant to me ;) She's not that big but as you say she might be only having one or two so won't get that big anyway.

It not always obvious when kittens are moving. One of my girls was pregnant with 7 kittens and was huge yet I didn't see any movement until a couple of days before she gave birth. They don't move all the time and I guess I just kept missing it lol :lol3:

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, she's got vets on Thursday so see what they say, she is a beautiful girl, she was a stray that I took in last year,so hungry and skinny, she's just got herself into a good healthy condition and then she surprises us with babies lol.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Aww poor girl , she does look in good condition now. You would never guess from the picture she was a skinny stray. :D

Yeah the vet will be able to confirm exactly how far along she is and how many kittens the can feel.

Good look and do let us know how you get on at the vets ;)

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep she looks pregnant to me
She's not that big but as you say she might be only having one or two so won't get that big anyway.

It not always obvious when kittens are moving. One of my girls was pregnant with 7 kittens and was huge yet I didn't see any movement until a couple of days before she gave birth. They don't move all the time and I guess I just kept missing it lol
I agree.  Usually you'll be able to feel kittens moving at around 7 weeks but sometimes it can be earlier or later or even just a few days before.  It depends on lots of things including size of litter, mom. even simply when you are checking.

Also, if a cat has gotten out at this time of year they will almost surely be pregnant.
Thanks for the reply, she's got vets on Thursday so see what they say, she is a beautiful girl, she was a stray that I took in last year,so hungry and skinny, she's just got herself into a good healthy condition and then she surprises us with babies lol.
Please consider getting her spayed.  It will be much healthier for her in the long run.

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will, I never wanted this to happen, when I first brought her home (in July last year) I took her the vets and discussed getting her spayed, because she was a stray the vet didn't know if she had been done or not but did say that considering the time of year and the fact that I had an intact male tom at the time (he's been neutered now) and she had not got pregnant by October he said it was likely she had been spayed! Turns out he was wrong lol
As soon as she is able to be operated on after the birth I'll get her booked in.

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok Tigger has been quite odd today, she keeps waiting outside my bedroom door, somewhere she doesn't usually go, also she's got what looks like dried milk around her nipples but her mammary glands are not enlarged. And yesterday I saw her shaking But not nlfor long, is this normal? I think she's between 8/9 weeks pregnant!

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also Tigger has been eating well through the day, until this evening, I just went to give her some food and she just sniffed it and walked away, then had a nibble and walked away again! Could this be her off her food because she preparing for labour, I just don't know! Am so anxious it's unreal, I dread to think what she's thinking. And to top it off I'm working nights for the next three nights and I don't want her to be alone when it's time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats lose appetite shortly before delivery, so it may be this.  Unless you notice other signs she is unwell...

Good luck!

snowball77171

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi can anybody help me my cat is 7 or 8 weeks pregnant and for the last two days when she's walking around she's started kicking out her back legs what could this be thanx

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi can anybody help me my cat is 7 or 8 weeks pregnant and for the last two days when she's walking around she's started kicking out her back legs what could this be thanx
Unfortunately I am in the same situation, my cat is about to drop, her tummy is hard but she still doesn't have milk. Keep us posted on any changes to your girls situation :-)

Also the kicking maybe the kittens laying on nerves or her just stretching?!

Last edited:

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats lose appetite shortly before delivery, so it may be this.  Unless you notice other signs she is unwell...

Good luck!
There are no signs of her being unwell, her ears are not hot and she's purring away like no one's business! She seems a bit restless though. I've got three boxes set up around the upstairs, one on the landing, one on the floor in my bedroom and one in a wardrobe in my bedroom, I've let her "discover" these on her own but it wouldn't surprise me if she still tried to get under the bed when the time comes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are no signs of her being unwell, her ears are not hot and she's purring away like no one's business! She seems a bit restless though. I've got three boxes set up around the upstairs, one on the landing, one on the floor in my bedroom and one in a wardrobe in my bedroom, I've let her "discover" these on her own but it wouldn't surprise me if she still tried to get under the bed when the time comes.
Sounds good she is healthy and you prepared with nests and everything.

They often try to deliver somewhere else than in their nest.  Out in the nature they dont want to soil down their chosen nest place.

They soil down somewhere else, and carry their babies to the nest when the soiling work is done with.

Of course, you dont want her deliver under the bed.    IF something goes wrong, you cant help her or the babies effectively.

If it is possible, block off the bed, so she cant get in there??   Take away the legs if possible, the bed laying directly on the floor?

Good luck!

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ she does have a recurring ear infection though but right now that doesn't seem to be bothering her much.

I've not long since got in from work this morning, put some wet food down for Tigger and she hasn't entertained it again, also she's had dry food down all night and she hasn't eaten any that either, she's got to be hungry surely. She's been rather loving too, but still no change to her mammary glands. Her pee also smells really strong too this morning which is very unusual, like a tom cats pee! could this mean anything, I've never noticed any smell to her pee before. Oh and she appears to have a smaller 'bump' today as well, am I being a little too observant?

Sorry to be a pain, she is only pregnant cat I've ever had, she's the only female cat I've ever had lol.