pregnant cat with discharge - is labor near

liattttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi so i have a pregnant cat who we think is getting ready to have her kittens but no show of it yet, i dont have any pictures of stuff but i noticed yesterday and today that shes passed a clearish brown discharge from her vaginal area and keeps cleaning down there. she is also producing milk and seems to be scratching around for a place and super clingy am wondering maybe when she will have her kittens? is there any clear signs that labor is near she is very big and her stomach has dropped completely yet kittens are still moving around alot in her stomach and she is very hungry, i am assuming the brownish dishcharge is her mucus plug.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pre-labor discharge is usually pinkish or clear to white. Mucus plug is usually yellow or greenish. She does sound near the end, but the brownish discharge is concerning.

If she’s dropped it should be any day now. Kittens are usually squished at the end and move less. Are you seeing any waves or ripples down her sides? This would be labor.

If she becomes distressed or begins pushing with no results after an hour she’ll need a vet.

L liattttt

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

liattttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pre-labor discharge is usually pinkish or clear to white. Mucus plug is usually yellow or greenish. She does sound near the end, but the brownish discharge is concerning.

If she’s dropped it should be any day now. Kittens are usually squished at the end and move less. Are you seeing any waves or ripples down her sides? This would be labor.

If she becomes distressed or begins pushing with no results after an hour she’ll need a vet.

L liattttt
i am seeing no ripples down the side of her but she seems perfectly fine and is eating. i am not too sure if it was discharge or the mucus plug but it seemed to be a pinkish brown clear stuff not blood though. i believe she wont have the kittens tonight but im still unsure as she hasnt seemed to start labor yet

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue to observe. It really should be within the next few days if she has discharge and her milk is coming in. Please keep us updated!

liattttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
its the following day now and she did not have them tonight, but from her behavior i dont think it will be more than a week ! im very excited

liattttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
its the following day now and she did not have them tonight, but from her behavior i dont think it will be more than a week ! im very excited
i meant last night oops

liattttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update: shes finally going into labor i believe! shes having contractions and everything, we are waiting for her water to break

liattttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey, shes finally had her kittens! four little black and white and one tabby! i will try to get a picture of them when mum is settled with her babies. i am so pleased

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are all 5 kittens latching and nursing well? Put mom’s food and water near the nest so she doesn’t have to go far to eat or drink. Litter close by also.

liattttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All five kittens are latching and nursing well and moms food and water is next to the cage same with a litter box! Shes a very good mom and is cleaning them alot and is very protective! Here are three of the five babies :)

Attachments