Pregnant Cat With Bad Smelling Gas And Stools

USDOR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone! First time posting.
I have have a pregnant Ragdoll, completely vetted and fecal shows parasite free including giardia free. Her stools have become very smelly as well as she has very stinky gas all the time. This started a few weeks ago and she is due in 2.5 weeks. The smell is unreal and never seems to let up. Her stools are sometimes formed and sometimes not and we have not changed her food. We changed nothing and did a fecal again just to ensure she is clear.

I am not sure if pregnancy can cause this, as I have never had that happen before, I have a small in home cattery. Her bloodwork was all normal before being bred and her health check clear. The smell is unbearable at times. She is eating a lot, wondering if maybe to much food could be causing a stomach upset? Her activity is normal, no signs of illness.
I did see some other threads that mentioned having a similar problem but my girls peoblems started during pregnancy. Also I do feed a high quality grain free food with Chicken and Turkey as base protein.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you talk with your vet about adding some plain pumpkin?
What about some kitten food, or a probiotic, or some Pedialyte? Or even some 50:50 unseasoned boiled chicken and rice?
She might be losing nutrients with the stomach upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

USDOR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did forget to mention I have tried the Pumpkin. So to much Pumpkin will actually give her loose stools. Why Pedialyte? She is not dehydrated and does not have diarrhea. She is on an all life stages food. I definitley will add probiotic to her diet, thanks for that suggestion.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS USDOR. I am glad you have joined us.
If you notice that your cat has a problem with foul smelling gas and stools, a veterinary checkup is advisable to ensure she is not affected by a digestive disorder. Please keep us posted. When is she expected to give birth?

USDOR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been to the vet as mentioned in my post. Has had bloodwork done and fecals.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you use less plain unseasoned pumpkin?

The Pedialyte suggestion is because her digestive system is stressed and struggling.
If she wasn't pregnant, that would be one thing, but she is and needs every bit of nutrition she can get from every source possible, for her and for her babies.

USDOR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the concern. I am very familiar with her nutritional needs. She is drinking fine and hydrated. She does not have severe diarrhea. I use Plain, 100 percent canned pumpkin, not pie filling. To much Pumpkin actually gives them diahrea. I am all ready using Pumpkin. She is not malnourished. I started probiotics today, took her off her hard food to rest her intestines. I am going to change foods and see if that helps.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started probiotics today, took her off her hard food to rest her intestines. I am going to change foods and see if that helps.
:vibes::crossfingers:
All the best of luck, do please let us know how things turn out for you and your furbaby(s)!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got good advices.
My spontane reaction is to deworm again with some reliable dewormer allround type
Preferably different than you used earlier.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had pregnant cats get diarrhea a few days before labor... I heard it was something about the hormones and the body trying to empty out before labor... not sure how true that is but it usually clears up a few days after birth when the hormones start getting back to normal.