• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
20200802_212808.jpg

She did not mind her other son too.

Thoughts on what I'm doing??
Not sure if the cage is just keeping her calm.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay i couldn't wait so i did it. I set her free which took a lot of courage. I was so scared but things went very well.

Momma cat looked so curious at first but her daughter Tofu was so fearless and wanted to walk up to her. At first momma cat playfully attacked her and sniffed her bum hahahaha. Tofu kicked her away because momma cat wanted to clean her ears.

Her son Milo was in here too, just wasnt able to take a picture of him with momma cat but they sniffed each others noses and it was so cute!!

I feel like momma cat missed them. She already started playing with Tofu by playfully wrestling.

20200802_215124.jpg
20200802_215148.jpg

Anyways, I still haven't released the other two boys, Oreo and Mochi. She growled at Oreo this morning and i didnt want her to change her target or attack him if i let her see him up close. Not sure about Mochi though, at first I thought that he was the target but I think its Oreo.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I again couldn't wait so i tested how she would react if she came close to her 2 more children. 1, she is so calm. She did not attack whatsoever. But then when she went into the livingroom(where the fight happened), she hissed at me a bit when i came close. I let her roam around and she went under the couch where all of her children hid in when they fought. They are still together right now, all roaming around the house. Momma cat doesn't seem to mind. Anyways, I wont leave her with her children tonight. I will still separate since, they are at the front, she might see the neighbors cat and attack again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems your plan is working. Mama cat apparently needed some peace and quiet and attention all to herself for a few days.

Just for reference, I kept a mom and her 4 kittens (I’ve had them for 5 years now). She has one son she just does not care for and always hisses at him. He’s a bit of a trouble maker in general, but my point is that when you have that many cats (and I have 9), there are bound to be times when there is growling or hissing or even tiny fights. I just speak sharply and walk over to the culprits and they stop. It’s sort of like a family of people - not everyone gets along or wants to be together all the time, no matter how much they love each other.

Try to continue giving mom extra attention. :)

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, college has been really stressful.. and i only got to rest today. While i was resting in my room, my cats were with me playing. After about half an hour, i stood up and saw that the laser pointer had the cap off, along with 1 battery. The batteries were button sizen, about the same size as a nail on your fingers. I only found 2 out of 3 batteries and I'm scared that someone ate it because I cant find it anywhere. 4/5 cats were there and 1 of them could have swallowed it.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_20200820_182532_234.jpg

This is the size difference. I dont think they were able to bite it open if they did swallow it. I will try to add olive oil into their diet again just in case it can help. We also recently switched them to hairball control food, and have been feeding them fish wet food. I hope those can all help. I JUST REALLY HOPE THAT THEY DID NOT SWALLOW IT. I JUST NEED TO LOOK BETTER.

Anyways, update, one of the boys who is known to always eat whatever he finds interesting, has just vomited hairball out. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but its been a while since the last time he did.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really doubt that one of the cats swallowed the battery. They more than likely batted it around as a toy and it is now under something and out of reach somewhere in your home.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They were playing with it in our bedroom when it happened, doors closed. I also cleaned the room, checked behind the beds, and the tightest areas and still could not find it. I think I have an idea of who swallowed it. Tofu. My mom said that her poop on thursday night was small. She's still eating well, and playing well, acting normal. If she is able to take it out, will she vomit it our or will it pass through her stool? I'm really scared and I don't want to lose another cat again :"( Like i said, I'm using hairball control ingredients in her food too. Hopefully that helps but I think i should give her food for constipation as well.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi HelloNingNing.

I believe it's very easy to say.......there's simply no way that the battery shown in your post #751 could possibly pass through a cat's digestive tract. You need to have your Vet give their opinion on this, however.

Have a look,,,,,
G I TRACT.png
I don't believe it it could pass through the small intestine.....which is not exactly as it's shown above (for illustrative purposes only). The small intestine is more like this (shown with a hairball obstruction):
SM INTESTINE.jpeg
"...The small intestine evolved to transport liquidy contents, not solid objects. The chyme delivered into the small intestine from the stomach is liquidy, not solid....solid objects do not flow along well. They are stiff and unyielding and the small intestine consists of many twists and turns. Trying to inch too large a solid object along that path is like trying to get a hefty piece of furniture around a tight corner or wrestled down a narrow hallway. The small intestine is flexible and expandable and it works hard at its job but still, it was designed for chyme, not hefty solid objects...."​

I would encourage you to speak with Vet, show the actual battery for size and rely on their opinion. As Sarthur2 said, an xray will show whether/not it's in there.

I'm sure I would rather know before a blockage occurred........and, I think a solution then would be less painful - and, certainly for my bank account.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi HelloNingNing.

I believe it's very easy to say.......there's simply no way that the battery shown in your post #751 could possibly pass through a cat's digestive tract. You need to have your Vet give their opinion on this, however.

Have a look,,,,,
I don't believe it it could pass through the small intestine.....which is not exactly as it's shown above (for illustrative purposes only). The small intestine is more like this (shown with a hairball obstruction):

"...The small intestine evolved to transport liquidy contents, not solid objects. The chyme delivered into the small intestine from the stomach is liquidy, not solid....solid objects do not flow along well. They are stiff and unyielding and the small intestine consists of many twists and turns. Trying to inch too large a solid object along that path is like trying to get a hefty piece of furniture around a tight corner or wrestled down a narrow hallway. The small intestine is flexible and expandable and it works hard at its job but still, it was designed for chyme, not hefty solid objects...."​

I would encourage you to speak with Vet, show the actual battery for size and rely on their opinion. As Sarthur2 said, an xray will show whether/not it's in there.

I'm sure I would rather know before a blockage occurred........and, I think a solution then would be less painful - and, certainly for my bank account.
Oh my :"( sorry for the late response. Its sad to say that I haven't been really observant due to college. Everyone seems to be okay for now though. Everyone's eating, sleeping, and pooping.Although I know that cats are really good at hiding their illnesses. I am now more scared though due to the information you have given. Thank you for explaining it to me! It helped me understand it better! I really do want to talk to a vet about this but we really don't have money or savings. X-rays costs so much as well, and we aren't even sure who ate it. I have no idea what to do. I really can't go through another surrendering a cat experience.