Pregnant Cat Updated - Fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello HelloNingNing HelloNingNing !
If they allow you to rub their bellies, you might check to see if anyone has a tight or lumpy tummy by gently rubbing them. You can check their behinds to see if there’s anyone who might look swollen or red.

When you do figure it out, you can give the constipated kitten some raw egg yolk. Make sure the egg white is separated and not given to them raw. Give maybe 1/3 of the yolk and see how he/ she does.

Also pumpkin from a can works great. Make sure it’s plain, not the spiced one for pies. Just a little dab fed directly or mixed in with wet food.

Mix water with their wet food.
Ohhh okay thank youu 😭. What if there's still a tiny bit of white though, would that do anything?

I might just try and do the pumpkin one instead just to be safe.

And yes! We mix water into their food most of the time especially when we try to warm it up from the fridge. We pour a bit of hot water and mix it.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just took pictures of their bums and I can't tell if any of them were swollen. They all just appeared slightly pinkish but they don't look swollen to me.

Would it be okay to send them if you guys wanted to see?

I will totally try and look for pumpkin though. Thank you again.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That’s good none are swollen! You would see it. Friskies is fine. A tiny bit of egg white is okay. Look up on YouTube how easy it is to separate eggwhites.

Friskies pate is the best.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi i know its pathetic to only come here to ask for help but I think my cat swallowed a pin. Not sure if she really did though. In fact, I'm not sure which of the 4 swallowed it and I am very worried. I have a cork board that i set up just recently to help me for my up coming online classes and they stumbled across the pins. I totally forgot about it when i went to the kitchen. I looked all over the floor to look for it and I cannot find it. The 4 of them were in the bedroom.

Here is a size comparison. I'm really scared because the needle of it is sharp.
IMG_20200726_013306_790.jpg

Its been about past an hour now.

I was wondering if anyone knows any early symptoms? None of them have vomited
Everyone seems normal.

I am really scared.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet trip for sure. If one of them really did swallow a pin you're not going to be getting it out on your own, and they're probably not going to pass it because it will most likely get stuck. That would result in death.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vet trip for sure. If one of them really did swallow a pin you're not going to be getting it out on your own, and they're probably not going to pass it because it will most likely get stuck. That would result in death.
Im still unsure about who swallowed it. Do you have an idea for early symptoms.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank God! I was just coming on here to ask you to do a very thorough search once more, it is not something that looks easily swallowed. Thank goodness it was a pushpin instead of a regular one that can be easily swallowed. Cats, when playing with something, push them into really hidden places. I bet your blood pressure can go down now, I'm really glad you found it!

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I looked everywhere and right when I was preparing to separate the 2 cats (that i suspected that swallowed it), I stood in front of the TV and remembered that I saw something under our PS4. And so I LOOKED AND IT WAS THERE. I LITERALLY CRIED IN RELIEF. I WAS FINALLY FREE FROM THE STRESS that I experienced. I slept peacefully.. :bunnydance::woo:

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have another problem.... I was chilling with my cats at the entrance of our house. It has a screen that allows our cats to enjoy fresh air and watch the outside. I did not realize that our neighbors cats were outside (but were probably 8ft away. Momma cat saw them and growled, hissed, and then screamed at them. The only problem I'm having is that Momma cat ran to her children and attacked them instead (they were in the other side of the room and far away from her when she attacked them). She wouldn't stop attacking them but I was then able to separated her from them. Its been about 2 hours now since it happened. Momma cat had calmed down but she hisses every now and then.

When she sees her children through the door, she growls and hisses at them.

I was thinking of using their shampoo on them? Just to get their scent to smell the same?

What should I do??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, as you may know, it's redirected aggression and scent might not be enough in this case since she's really worked up;
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
the article doesn't really give much except to separate everybody, out of sight and sound for a while. The kittens aren't still nursing, are they?

Later you could try the shampoo but on mama too, or a tiny dab of vanilla extract at the back of everyone's neck.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are turning 1yr in a few days. The 4 of them r in the livingroom away from momma cat. They seem stressed as little sounds scare them. They're not scared of me or anything. Just momma cat. I made her see them again since she was feeling excited to come to the livingroom so i let her get close to the door. Even though she could only see her children through the glass, she still got so mad and hissed at them. She hit the door with her paws and meowed really loud like those in cartoon shows.

If i was unclear (doors were in between them so they can't touch each other, only see.)

How will i know when to show her to them again? She sees them as threat or something. And she jumps like a crazy cat when we come close to her while she's near the other cats. After like 15 minutes of keeping her away from them, she acts normal. She also became really affectionate for some reason. I'm guessing she just needs me to make her feel safe??

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Jcatbird Jcatbird might be able to give you some good advice. Did you get a chance to read the articles Furballsmom Furballsmom provided? Poor mama. And her babies, although not little anymore, they must be really confused. In the meantime, I would keep them completely separated, even so she can’t see them, until you can get some advice.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do try the vanilla trick, but since the sight of them gets her worked up, read the articles, keep them separated and advice will soon follow.
Sleep well:alright:

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Jcatbird Jcatbird might be able to give you some good advice. Did you get a chance to read the articles Furballsmom Furballsmom provided? Poor mama. And her babies, although not little anymore, they must be really confused. In the meantime, I would keep them completely separated, even so she can’t see them, until you can get some advice.
Yes I read the article but it didn't really help that much. I'm just afraid that it might take weeks, months or even a year to get them back to what they were before. Momma cat literally saw nothing through our other door and hissed at it. I just really hope that she gets better. I used their shampoo on them but they didn't get to sniff each other since momma cat already tried attacking them through the door. This is so stressful 😭. We were lliterally having a chill afternoon and this happened. I never expected her to react this way since they acted fine when they saw our neighbors cat through our window. Maybe their cat walked towards ours (that I did not see), which caused her to really react to it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If mom and babies are not spayed/ neutered then the neighbor cat may have come because of the hormones. Mom cat became affectionate after the attack? That makes me think she could be starting a heat cycle. That would make this all very normal as a mom would be urging kittens away during this time. Not only would she want them acting more independent of her but she would also be sending them away from any aggression during male pursuit of her.
If any of the kittens are coming into adult behavior, Mom would not want to mate with them. Any neighbor cat coming for any of the family could cause anxiety among them all.
If they are not spayed or neutered, getting that done would make a huge improvement. It could solve the whole thing.
If they are spayed and neutered then the first thing I would do besides separating them is scent swapping with mom and babies. Use a towel or brush and rub or brush the kittens and Mom and then back to kittens again. Get the scent of all shared onto the others. You can also try putting your scent onto mom and kittens. Do this with a shirt or towel you have used. Maybe a blanket.
Next, make sure that mom does not see the neighbor cat right now. If that cat comes around you can try to discourage it by using lemon scented furniture polish on your door
frame.
Hopefully mom cat will settle again after awhile. You can try calming methods for all. Playing soft music can help. There is music online that is specifically for cats. Any music that they seem to find okay should help. Harp music is said to work well.
Feliway diffusers are also used to calm cats. You would need it placed where the kitties show the most aggression.
Keeping the view of each other blocked could be necessary for awhile. If the door between them is glass, use a towel or blanket to block the view. You may be able to feed them with mom on one side of the door and kittens on the other. They can smell each other but not see. If mom gets upset, you may have to do this later in the process. After mom cat seems relaxed again you can start lifting the edge of the blanket just a little and for just a short time. Each day repeat until you see that mom cat is beginning to accept the kittens again. When she is okay with seeing them, lift the blanket up all the way. All this must be done at the pace the Mom cat finds safe. If she gets upset, cover the view again. Once she can see the kittens without being upset, you can love a step ahead. If they haven’t eaten near each other yet, you can try again without letting them have physical contact yet. If eating near each other and viewing goes well, you can try limited exposure. A baby gate can block them but allow more exposure. If mom tries to hop over it and gets upset, go back to the previous step. It’s going to be a step by step process but please don’t get discouraged. When cats get truly scared on their deepest level it can confuse them. They lash out as a self protection survival instinct. It may take patience but the bond with her kittens is very strong. I have had families get broken up, separated and not even recognize each other at first. With diligence and working through sort of an introduction process, they did re bond and are now reunited and just as loving as they were originally. Hang in there! If you get stuck on a step or need creative solutions to anything, lots of people here have been in your shoes and can offer tips or solutions they used. :hugs: You’ll get through this. It may even go fairly quickly and easier than you imagine. Mom cat was just doing what her instincts drove her to do for survival. Now we just need her to feel secure around everyone again. Give her the time she needs.
Please do keep us updated.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If mom and babies are not spayed/ neutered then the neighbor cat may have come because of the hormones. Mom cat became affectionate after the attack? That makes me think she could be starting a heat cycle. That would make this all very normal as a mom would be urging kittens away during this time. Not only would she want them acting more independent of her but she would also be sending them away from any aggression during male pursuit of her.
If any of the kittens are coming into adult behavior, Mom would not want to mate with them. Any neighbor cat coming for any of the family could cause anxiety among them all.
If they are not spayed or neutered, getting that done would make a huge improvement. It could solve the whole thing.
If they are spayed and neutered then the first thing I would do besides separating them is scent swapping with mom and babies. Use a towel or brush and rub or brush the kittens and Mom and then back to kittens again. Get the scent of all shared onto the others. You can also try putting your scent onto mom and kittens. Do this with a shirt or towel you have used. Maybe a blanket.
Next, make sure that mom does not see the neighbor cat right now. If that cat comes around you can try to discourage it by using lemon scented furniture polish on your door
frame.
Hopefully mom cat will settle again after awhile. You can try calming methods for all. Playing soft music can help. There is music online that is specifically for cats. Any music that they seem to find okay should help. Harp music is said to work well.
Feliway diffusers are also used to calm cats. You would need it placed where the kitties show the most aggression.
Keeping the view of each other blocked could be necessary for awhile. If the door between them is glass, use a towel or blanket to block the view. You may be able to feed them with mom on one side of the door and kittens on the other. They can smell each other but not see. If mom gets upset, you may have to do this later in the process. After mom cat seems relaxed again you can start lifting the edge of the blanket just a little and for just a short time. Each day repeat until you see that mom cat is beginning to accept the kittens again. When she is okay with seeing them, lift the blanket up all the way. All this must be done at the pace the Mom cat finds safe. If she gets upset, cover the view again. Once she can see the kittens without being upset, you can love a step ahead. If they haven’t eaten near each other yet, you can try again without letting them have physical contact yet. If eating near each other and viewing goes well, you can try limited exposure. A baby gate can block them but allow more exposure. If mom tries to hop over it and gets upset, go back to the previous step. It’s going to be a step by step process but please don’t get discouraged. When cats get truly scared on their deepest level it can confuse them. They lash out as a self protection survival instinct. It may take patience but the bond with her kittens is very strong. I have had families get broken up, separated and not even recognize each other at first. With diligence and working through sort of an introduction process, they did re bond and are now reunited and just as loving as they were originally. Hang in there! If you get stuck on a step or need creative solutions to anything, lots of people here have been in your shoes and can offer tips or solutions they used. :hugs: You’ll get through this. It may even go fairly quickly and easier than you imagine. Mom cat was just doing what her instincts drove her to do for survival. Now we just need her to feel secure around everyone again. Give her the time she needs.
Please do keep us updated.
Yes! They are all spayed and neutered. I will do the trick with the towel. Her poor children were so confused when she screamed at them yesterday.

Thank you so much for the tips! I finally have an idea of what to do now. I really hope that this works and won't take too long.

I think momma cat gets riled up even if she hears noises through the doors. Maybe i should wait a bit longer huh.

I have also used a no rinse shampoo on them with lavender scent to calm them all down. They all smell the same right now.

Anyways, thank you so much again! Thank you for taking your time to help 😭😭💛💛

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, momma cat isn't really the type to enjoy being pet unless she's sleeping. But yesterday she allowed me to put her on my lap and pet her, rubbing her face on my hand. She also woke me up throughout the night by laying down on my arm, plopping down on it, and rubbing her face again into my hand, asking for petting. I was thinking that she was aroused by our neighbors cat or is asking me to make her feel safe.