Pregnant Cat Updated - Fleas.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the end of May, a stray female cat has come into our home. She looked very light and skinny so we fed her and kept her ever since. But as time went by, we noticed her stomach growing. My family said she's pregnant and i only believed it a few days ago because of the amount of movement there is in her stomach. She also eats a lot.(and by the way, i only believed now because i thought she was just fat because of the amount of food my family feeds her) For the past 2 months, we fed her Meow Mix and Whiskas wet food(i know they're not good brands but we couldn't afford others.) and then we switched to Purina One Hairball Control. (I bought that food before i believed she was really pregnant.) And i guess it was better for her to eat that instead of the Meow Mix. We also feed her Friskies Pate wet food. I also mixed purina with meowmix for a while to make sure she wont be shocked by the food switching.

At around the time we switched her food, we also switched her cat litter. We used to switch from sand or clumping clay but i discovered wood pellets and switched to that instead.

And since we switched 2 things at once, i thought it was either the new food or the new litter was causing her to have diarrhea because the diarrhea started at around the same time.

I switched back to meowmix and she still had diarrhea.

And just today i switched her back to the old sand litter she used before. And. I hope that helps.

She is very close to her due date and for the past 4-5 days, she's been having smelly and runny stools. And sometimes with blood. The colour would be different at times. Sometimes light brown and now its just brown with blood and mucus. While she poos as well, her body makes a growling sound too.

I'm not entirely sure if her runny stools are due to her being close to labor but that's what my family tells me.

My mom finally agreed to take her to the vet in a few days, maybe Thursday or friday(because that's when money comes in) but our budget is only $100. She's afraid that they would want to charge her more since she's pregnant and all when we don't really have the budget.

She has not been dewormed yet and i thought that might also be the problem. But im not sure if she can be dewormed since shes close to due date. Ive also called a vet and they said deworming is around $38 for adult cats but they need to check her which will cost us $74.

Right now she's mostly sleeping, she eats well and plays.

She had diarrhea before but it stopped when we gave her bits of boiled carrots.

She goes to poo a few times in a day.

I tried feeding her carrots again as well as brown rice.

Please ask me if you don't understand something about my situation.

I need help. I'm worried about her runny stool with blood. I don't want to lose her.

We kept her because we thought she will be safer with us.

Someone told me my cat might die if i don't seek help soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We cant take her right now because money only comes in on thursday and thats when we can take her.

Are there any alternatives of ways i can help her stay alive?

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My family does not want to send her into a rescue center/ no kill shelter. PLEASE HELP

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
HelloNingNing HelloNingNing I'm not a kitten expert, some of our more experienced members will post soon, but I wanted to let you know that you can use Profender on pregnant cats.

Profender® Topical Solution (emodepside/praziquantel) - Bayer DVM

You can buy it online for a lot less than the vet is asking for a worming medicine.

Plain, boiled pumpkin, cooled and mashed and added to wet food, is a good way of dealing with runny poop. Add about a teaspoon full to her canned food every day.

How pregnant is she? Could you post a photo of her so we can get a better idea of how close to her due date she is?

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HelloNingNing HelloNingNing I'm not a kitten expert, some of our more experienced members will post soon, but I wanted to let you know that you can use Profender on pregnant cats.

Profender® Topical Solution (emodepside/praziquantel) - Bayer DVM

You can buy it online for a lot less than the vet is asking for a worming medicine.

Plain, boiled pumpkin, cooled and mashed and added to wet food, is a good way of dealing with runny poop. Add about a teaspoon full to her canned food every day.

How pregnant is she? Could you post a photo of her so we can get a better idea of how close to her due date she is?
This is her right now. I'm not 100% convinced she's pregnant but I see pulses and movement in her stomach. Its really big too. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I SHOULD'VE TRIED THE PUMPKIN THING EARLIER. She's almost a week in with diarrhea. At first t was really watery and then it turned into jelly like due to the mucus. And it has blood at times..

Although if our calculations are right, she's past 60 days now.(we met her at May 27th-28th, she left and and came back at around May 30th).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea may well be because the body is preparing itself for delivery and is cleaning itself out. is this a recent happening or has she had runny stools for a while? it also could very well be because of the diet change. I would try a teaspoon of the pureed pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not the one with spices!) in her food like mentioned above. Leave worming until after she delivers, it would be safer if she is that close, then call a vet and find out which one is the safest. Do not change here food for a while. Let her go 70 days from when you first got her to see if she is pregnant, if she wasn't let outside after getting her, but definitely take her to a vet after that, it may be something other than pregnancy. All the luck and keep us posted!

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea may well be because the body is preparing itself for delivery and is cleaning itself out. is this a recent happening or has she had runny stools for a while? it also could very well be because of the diet change. I would try a teaspoon of the pureed pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not the one with spices!) in her food like mentioned above. Leave worming until after she delivers, it would be safer if she is that close, then call a vet and find out which one is the safest. Do not change here food for a while. Let her go 70 days from when you first got her to see if she is pregnant, if she wasn't let outside after getting her, but definitely take her to a vet after that, it may be something other than pregnancy. All the luck and keep us posted!
Diarrhea started when i changed her food and litter. All at once. But i did not suspect those two to be the reason so i just assumed she was just sick. Should i go back to her old food? I already changed back to her old litter just incase.

I also don't think i can purchase profender here in Winnipeg. But we will try.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its been almost a week since she started her diarrhea. I believe she started before thursday or friday last week.(if im not mistaken)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go back to her old food for a while, then you can gradually switch her later. She may be allergic/sensitive to something in the new food. Gradually change the litetr to what you want too by mixing more and more of it in with her old litter. Profender is great, I get mine on Petmeds, on the internet, but they do need a prescription from the vet. You could call him and make him aware you are trying to get it and want him to prescribe it. It gets rid of tapeworm too, which many cats get from eating rabbits and most worming medications don't get rid of. Profender is great, a little pricey, but so easy to apply. You put in on the back of the neck of the cat by parting the fur and getting it on the skin. Put it high up, in a line down almost between the ears. I had a cat that could reach between her shoulders and she licked some and it was awful, she was running and foaming at the mouth. She is OK, but make sure they can't twist and reach it.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would go back to her old food for a while, then you can gradually switch her later. She may be allergic/sensitive to something in the new food. Gradually change the litetr to what you want too by mixing more and more of it in with her old litter. Profender is great, I get mine on Petmeds, on the internet, but they do need a prescription from the vet. You could call him and make him aware you are trying to get it and want him to prescribe it. It gets rid of tapeworm too, which many cats get from eating rabbits and most worming medications don't get rid of. Profender is great, a little pricey, but so easy to apply. You put in on the back of the neck of the cat by parting the fur and getting it on the skin. Put it high up, in a line down almost between the ears. I had a cat that could reach between her shoulders and she licked some and it was awful, she was running and foaming at the mouth. She is OK, but make sure they can't twist and reach it.

I did the mixing the food thing as much as I can. I did it for a few days but since I ran out of the old food, I had to keep feeding. Her the new one.

Will this be safe for cats?

E.D. Smith 100% Pure Canned Pumpkin | Walmart Canada

I don't know where else to buy pumpkin other than when its halloween. Although Ill try to look around.

I will also try to get profender. And if not, is it best to take her to the vet on Thursday? What do I do if she gives birth by then? How will I get her checked?

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet will check a stool sample, without actually seeing the cat, to see if there are worms or worm eggs. Could you call your vet and ask if they will do that?
I could try and do that.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: SHE DID NOT POO ALL NIGHT. HER POO IS A LITTLE BIT SOLID NOW. ITS NOT RUNNY OR SLIMY AT THE MOMENT. NO BLOOD AS WELL.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can use the pure canned pumpkin.

And please save money to get her spayed after her kittens wean. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, that is wonderful her stool is firming up! Canned 100% pumpkin is great to use. It is fiber so helps with diarrhea AND constipation. If her stool is firming up I wouldn't stress her with a vet visit right now. Wait until the kittens are born. I have my cats wormed when I bring them in for their vaccinations. They are scared so the vet can give the worming pill easily. They fight me until I'm bloody, trying to give a pill!

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, that is wonderful her stool is firming up! Canned 100% pumpkin is great to use. It is fiber so helps with diarrhea AND constipation. If her stool is firming up I wouldn't stress her with a vet visit right now. Wait until the kittens are born. I have my cats wormed when I bring them in for their vaccinations. They are scared so the vet can give the worming pill easily. They fight me until I'm bloody, trying to give a pill!

ALL I GAVE HER FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS WAS COLD WATER. AND YESTERDAY I FED HER AROUND A TABLE SPOON OF BROWN RICE. I'm really glad right now. I hope her poo continues to firm up.

Ill try to buy canned pumpkin asap just in case. THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE HELP. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I WILL TRY TO HELP HER AS MUCH AS I CAN.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my! You must give her food though. She cannot support her pregnancy without proper nutrition. She must be starving. Please give her food now.
I do feed her lol. I just gave the brown rice as a snack to help.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed her quite a lot. Her cat food is not that nutritious so i just try to feed her more of that. I think she might be allergic to the new cat food even tho its healthier. So now I'm just giving her chicken or pork for a little bit more protein.