Pregnant cat so many questions

Bellababy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site, my cat Lilly belle is 9 weeks pregnant. Confirmed by vets and she’s due tomorrow. My question is, her belly is much smaller and when I felt around I can feel lumpy masses (I’m assuming kittens) way down by her legs almost. Not feeling or seeing much movement today is this normal? Also with her being so close she hasn’t shown any signs of nesting but since Saturday she’s been acting out of the ordinary. She’s been meowing at me with this meow I’ve never heard before but it’s not constant. Almost like a purr meow? Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. She’s also been following me around more and will sit in the bathroom with me while I shower, not like her at all. Is her not nesting normal? She sits by the back door and seems eager to get outside but of course I won’t allow her to. Will she stall labor if she can’t go outside? As of now she’s still eating but mostly just a few bites here and there. Sorry for all the questions! By the way she is to be fixed when the kittens are weaned. Vet and I already discussed 😊

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is all very normal. She’s due any day now and may go into labor at any time. Do not let her out. The kittens are lower because they have moved into the birth canal. It’s called “dropping.” She sounds very bonded to you and may want you there during labor and delivery as her security person.

Check out these articles:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

Keep us posted! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bellababy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is all very normal. She’s due any day now and may go into labor at any time. Do not let her out. The kittens are lower because they have moved into the birth canal. It’s called “dropping.” She sounds very bonded to you and may want you there during labor and delivery as her security person.

Check out these articles:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

Keep us posted! 😊
Thank you so much for your reply! I will check out these links. She’s not an outdoor cat typically. When she got pregnant my kids came home from school and when they opened the door she bolted. So her wanting to go out now worries me. I have confined her to my oldest boys room today with her litter box, food, water and her nesting box I have set up in his closet for her so she doesn’t get out the door. She’s very bonded to me, I’ve had her since she was a wee little kitten. Will she maybe want me to stand close when the time comes and observe?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not stand, sit close, say soothing words of encouragement, no children watching, and be prepared to help open a sac or pinch off a cord if the kittens come too fast for her to do it all. Once born the sac needs to be open so the kittens can begin to breathe right away. Have a cloth ready to gently wipe mucus from a kitten face if need be. Have a bulb on hand to suction a kitten. You likely will not need to do any of this as most cats manage quite well on their own, but it’s best to be prepared.

We’re here for all your questions!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat, the kids if they aren't calm I would keep them away from the kittens until they are older. Some moms can be aggressive towards kids. Please do get her spayed as soon as the kittens are 8 weeks old. She might try to escape at 2 -6 weeks old if she goes into heat so just keep her in the room and book her spay appointment now :) Otherwise yes she will always try to escape every time she is in heat (which goes on for 1-2 weeks every 3-4 weeks of her life).

Bellababy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me again lol so I took her temp (underarm) and it’s saying 98.5 is this any indication?

Bellababy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends on the cat, the kids if they aren't calm I would keep them away from the kittens until they are older. Some moms can be aggressive towards kids. Please do get her spayed as soon as the kittens are 8 weeks old. She might try to escape at 2 -6 weeks old if she goes into heat so just keep her in the room and book her spay appointment now :) Otherwise yes she will always try to escape every time she is in heat (which goes on for 1-2 weeks every 3-4 weeks of her life).
Thank you. My kids are older so no worries there. She’s in my 16 year old sons closet, he’s pretty quiet and to himself. I plan to get her booked this week!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stop taking her temperature. It’s not the great indicator they say it is. Just wait it out. She’s getting there.

Bellababy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update. My cat went into labor about 6pm and birthed her first kitten 45 mins or so ago! She has 2 so far and they’re orange 😍 I appreciate all the help I have received here!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many kittens now and how is everyone doing? Are all kittens nursing well?

Bellababy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With 6, watch for a runt. Weigh every day to ensure all kittens gain 6-10 grams minimum per day.
I definitely will watch for that. There’s one that’s a tad bit smaller than the rest but very very feisty! I plan to start checking weights today as soon as I clean up her nesting area again for the second time. Lol.

Bellababy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been awhile since I posted on this thread, but I have a question. My kittens are 4 weeks old tomorrow. When should I begin feeding some gruel? They now have teeth. Momma cat gets upset with them when they bite her, so she’ll get up and take a break with feeding. Also, when can I start to introduce some water for them to lap up?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and start offering it now. They may not really take to it yet, but no harm in offering. If they don't eat it, mama cat probably will :).

When they start eating solids it's time to introduce the litterbox too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can start now since they have teeth. They may not lap water yet, but a low dish can be introduced.

Here is a helpful weaning video: