Pregnant cat pooping everywhere

Hcutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I have a pregnant kitty. She is a very small cat but her belly is quite large. I expect several kittens. Lately she has seemed lazy which is understandable but everytime she gets up, there is poop where she was laying. When she tries to jump up onto a chair or what have you, some comes out during the jump. Droplets, so not very healthy looking poop. We feed all of our cats Rachel Ray's nutrish. Otherwise she acts completely normal. Doesnt seem to be in pain and is eating and drinking normally. There are no vets open in my area due to this whole virus. Any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not a vet but I believe it's normal. Can you use small towels under her to help with cleaning, and maybe obtain puppy per pads?

Try calling around to your local vets, not so much for this but likely they'll have a 24-hour emergency number you'll want to have on hand just in case.

Oh, see if you can obtain some kitten food (my local PetSmart and petco's were well stocked as of yesterday) so that you can start feeding her extra. She needs the extra nutrition :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her poop always runny? It could be leakage from constipation if the kittens are pressing on her rectum due to lack of space. I concur with Furballsmom that a good quality kitten chow (40% protein and extra calcium) are called for. You can also give her KMR to drink or to mix into her food. Adding extra water to her canned food, or soaking her kibble, are good ways to keep her hydrated while her body is busy supplying amniotic fluid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hcutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok yall new question, shes finally giving birth we have 2 seemingly healthy kittens so far there is a little bit of blood leaking out of mom, kinder oozing I guess. Not a lot but not a little either. Is that pretty normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is normal. If she bleeds heavily like a hemorrhage, that’s not normal, but most cats will bleed or spot for 7-10 days after having kittens while the uterus heals. Keep us posted! :)

Hcutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. So mom is doing great. No more poop issues or blood. 2 of the kitties didn't make it unfortunately. We have 3 left, 2 of which have eye infections. Ever since the beginning I have changed out the blankets regularly in the tub they are in. I assure you they are not in a dirty environment. During birth the mom did poop a little which I immediately cleaned as best as I could off of her (but ofcourse she didn't want me touching her in that area) so I assume that's where the infections came from. I have gotten warm wet cloths and cleared the crust from their eyes and allowed the mucous to drain. No vets are open currently. What is my best course of action? People eye drops, triple antibiotic ointment?? Any help is appreciated! Btw, other than that, all 3 are plump and growing/eating normally.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
. I have gotten warm wet cloths and cleared the crust from their eyes and allowed the mucous to drain.
I'm not a vet so can't advise on meds but keeping up with this, from what I've read is the most important thing to do.

Btw, other than that, all 3 are plump and growing/eating normally.
This sounds wonderful 😍!

Are you able to actually weigh them just to be doubly sure?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can buy terramycin antibiotic ointment at tractor supply stores, from the vet, or order online. This is best for kitten eye infections. It is not unusual for kittens to get these eye infections, but they clear up quickly with terramycin. :)

Hcutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome. I think the tractor supply the next town over may still be open for a limited amount of people. Thanks so much everyone. I'll keep you updated!