Pregnant cat— ongoing questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 63 days, and that is if you are sure of when she mated. Even at 63 days the kittens can be less than 90 grams, which is considered premature birth weight. Let’s hope she holds the kittens!
So we are having some issues, she has 1 more kitten in there and she has been trying to push it out on and off for the past few hours. I can’t afford a c-section and I have no insurance, I can’t pay thousands. She hasn’t pushed for a while and I don’t know where the kitten is, she might be in the early stages of labor all over again and just took a pause.. i don’t know.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she now? If she truly has another kitten to deliver and cannot get it out, you will absolutely need a vet. The kitten will die inside and mom will get an infection and need surgery regardless, or she could die too.

You need to get mom x-rayed to see if a kitten remains. You should also call vets for prices on a c-section and think about who could help you financially. This could become a serious emergency.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure? Sometimes contractions continue even though all the kittens are out, from what I understand.

How is she behaving otherwise? Is she letting them nurse, and has she cleaned up and is cleaning them?

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles
She is acting completely fine and nursing her baby’s. We have meal replacer just in case tho. I’m almost sure there’s another one. She’s had a few contractions and some movement in her stomach.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she now? If she truly has another kitten to deliver and cannot get it out, you will absolutely need a vet. The kitten will die inside and mom will get an infection and need surgery regardless, or she could die too.

You need to get mom x-rayed to see if a kitten remains. You should also call vets for prices on a c-section and think about who could help you financially. This could become a serious emergency.
She is acting completely normal and I wouldn’t be worried if I didn’t see her Having contractions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Things are not normal if she is still having contractions. This means something that needs to come out is being retained and not coming out. Eventually, a dead kitten will calcify and cause uterine infection.

She will not continue acting normally for long. She will develop fever and become ill. She will not be able to nurse her kittens at that point.

She needs to see a vet, as much as you cannot afford it, it’s what she needs. They may be able to give her a shot of oxytocin to stimulate stronger contractions to help her push out a deceased kitten. If it is breech and stuck, a vet can often help pull it out during a contraction. This would avoid a C-section.

But if she is still contracting and pushing without success, there is a problem that needs professional medical help.

Please find a way to get her seen and get this taken care of. I know you do not have funds so please crowd-source or ask a friend or relative for help. It’s not likely to resolve on its own.

Jadeloveshercat Jadeloveshercat

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are not normal if she is still having contractions. This means something that needs to come out is being retained and not coming out. Eventually, a dead kitten will calcify and cause uterine infection.

She will not continue acting normally for long. She will develop fever and become ill. She will not be able to nurse her kittens at that point.

She needs to see a vet, as much as you cannot afford it, it’s what she needs. They may be able to give her a shot of oxytocin to stimulate stronger contractions to help her push out a deceased kitten. If it is breech and stuck, a vet can often help pull it out during a contraction. This would avoid a C-section.

But if she is still contracting and pushing without success, there is a problem that needs professional medical help.

Please find a way to get her seen and get this taken care of. I know you do not have funds so please crowd-source or ask a friend or relative for help. It’s not likely to resolve on its own.

I’m so sorry if this sounds bad but is there a possibility that there actually is no kitten? Maybe false contractions and the little movements are just her body going back to normal? because she is looking very skinny ( she has fast metabolism) and her stool is firming up, I don’t speak with my family and I don’t have any credit cards to spend on and I simply don’t have the money.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

She hasn’t had contractions in hours

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is no longer contracting that is usually a good sign. After-pain contractions are normal and usually intermittent for a day or two after delivering as the uterus shrinks back to normal size and her body begins to heal. I hope this is so in her case.

In the meantime, how are the kittens doing? Are all nursing well and gaining weight? Are you able to weigh them daily? Seven kittens are a lot for mom, so they may need to be rotated every 2 hours in two groups for adequate nursing. Mom needs tons of food and extra calcium while nursing.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is no longer contracting that is usually a good sign. After-pain contractions are normal and usually intermittent for a day or two after delivering as the uterus shrinks back to normal size and her body begins to heal. I hope this is so in her case.

In the meantime, how are the kittens doing? Are all nursing well and gaining weight? Are you able to weigh them daily? Seven kittens are a lot for mom, so they may need to be rotated every 2 hours in two groups for adequate nursing. Mom needs tons of food and extra calcium while nursing.

Hey yes the kittens are doing great! Growing and all. Lilith is acting completely number and belly seems to be going down.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just gave birth to 7 healthy kittens a week ago Exactly. But one of the kittens always has her tongue out. She’s one of the smaller ones of the litter, i think it’s really cute! But is this a problem?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It should not be a problem as long as this kitten is nursing well and gaining weight. Is it?

If not, this kitten may be dehydrated. Are you weighing daily?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

How are all 7 kittens doing? I’m concerned as 7 kittens is a really large litter. You surely have 1-2 runts who may need supplementing.

Are you weighing daily? Are they all gaining at least 6-10 grams (if not more) daily?

Have you had to supplement any? Are you helping to clean bottoms?

How is mom doing?

Please update!

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

How are all 7 kittens doing? I’m concerned as 7 kittens is a really large litter. You surely have 1-2 runts who may need supplementing.

Are you weighing daily? Are they all gaining at least 6-10 grams (if not more) daily?

Have you had to supplement any? Are you helping to clean bottoms?

How is mom doing?

Please update!
Hey, they’re doing great! They’re all gaining weight, all doing pretty good. We bottle feed whenever we can but they’re all doing pretty good without and it’s not really needed. We don’t have a scale for them but you can definitely tell they are literally growing over night. Most of them already have open eyes. Mama is doing great, just tired. 7 kittens so far all healthy.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a litter of 7 healthy kittens 4 weeks ago. They are completely healthy, they are weaning well with kitten food + KMR. But I haven’t seen any poop and pee at all? Like none since my cat stopped stimulating them. Is it possible that they are peeing and pooing in their bedding and I just haven’t seen it? I have tried stimulating but nothing is coming out. I’ve seen brown stuff surrounding they’re bums but they are hairless so I have no idea if it’s just skin oil.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat had a litter of 7 healthy kittens 4 weeks ago. They are completely healthy, they are weaning well with kitten food + KMR. But I haven’t seen any poop and pee at all? Like none since my cat stopped stimulating them. Is it possible that they are peeing and pooing in their bedding and I just haven’t seen it? I have tried stimulating but nothing is coming out. I’ve seen brown stuff surrounding they’re bums but they are hairless so I have no idea if it’s just skin oil.
Wait, is their momma around them? Because usually its momma whom eates up all wastes. Its common breeders dont ever see pee nor poop; and such is only for caretakers of orphans... So this will be my guess. If they are healthy and no visible worries. Momma takes care of this, even if she no longer stimulates them as eagerly as earlier.

That said, if you truly worry about they got constipation, there are many tricks to get them going.