Pregnant cat— ongoing questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I left for 5 minutes to use the bathroom and I found my little brother bit my cat and smack her twice 1X in the back and apparently was smacking her in the face. I never ever leave any animal alone with him but I thought it would be ok to use the bathroom quickly, it wasn’t. Please don’t hate on me or shame my little brother. I NEED HELP!! Will the kittens be ok? She was very stressed but thankfully no damage done to the belly. Please tell me anything you know ANYTHING that could help, I’m so worried and I feel guilty. She still looks pregnant and fine but obviously she is upset.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very serious, how old is your brother? He needs some guidance on how to treat animals. Anyone over the age of three should know this. You don't know that he didn't harm the kittens. under NO circumstances should he ever handle one of the kittens. This is not 'shaming' him, this is teaching him the consequences of his actions. He needs supervision and punishment if he continues this, he will treat people like this too. if he is too young to realize what he is doing, he can still be taught to be gentle and should be always under supervision. I am so sorry for you, please know we are here to help.
Your cat needs a safe, quiet place to be, locked in a room (you can put on a hasp with a padlock on any door, and fill in the holes later.) or put her in a locked dog kennel with a small place for her to hide and a small litterbox. Premature kittens do not survive, she needs to go full term to deliver healthy kittens. Just stroke her and use a quiet voice, if she will sit on your lap that is good. Make sure she eats and drinks. Please keep in mind she could attack your brother if he kills or hurts one of her kittens, and she should not be blamed for doing so. Please try to keep him away from her, maybe get a stuffed animal he can handle and start with that? PS we could never hate you, your main concern is for a cat, which we all love!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it is serious. I think your parents need to parent here!!!!!! If they are not willing to do so, the kindest & safest thing may be to rehome her. A stressed out mama cat will kill her kittens. Plus no cat should be abused!

If your brother is under 3 & you have to watch him, take him to the bathroom with you & insist he stay there because you can’t trust him to be nice to the cat! Be sure to teach him about nice/soft touches. If he is older this needs to go to your parents and they need to do their job.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree it is serious. I think your parents need to parent here!!!!!! If they are not willing to do so, the kindest & safest thing may be to rehome her. A stressed out mama cat will kill her kittens. Plus no cat should be abused!

If your brother is under 3 & you have to watch him, take him to the bathroom with you & insist he stay there because you can’t trust him to be nice to the cat! Be sure to teach him about nice/soft touches. If he is older this needs to go to your parents and they need to do their job.
I don’t live with him, he was just visiting and he is 6 years old and he just doesn’t listen, that’s why he isn’t aloud around any of my animals

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very serious, how old is your brother? He needs some guidance on how to treat animals. Anyone over the age of three should know this. You don't know that he didn't harm the kittens. under NO circumstances should he ever handle one of the kittens. This is not 'shaming' him, this is teaching him the consequences of his actions. He needs supervision and punishment if he continues this, he will treat people like this too. if he is too young to realize what he is doing, he can still be taught to be gentle and should be always under supervision. I am so sorry for you, please know we are here to help.
Your cat needs a safe, quiet place to be, locked in a room (you can put on a hasp with a padlock on any door, and fill in the holes later.) or put her in a locked dog kennel with a small place for her to hide and a small litterbox. Premature kittens do not survive, she needs to go full term to deliver healthy kittens. Just stroke her and use a quiet voice, if she will sit on your lap that is good. Make sure she eats and drinks. Please keep in mind she could attack your brother if he kills or hurts one of her kittens, and she should not be blamed for doing so. Please try to keep him away from her, maybe get a stuffed animal he can handle and start with that? PS we could never hate you, your main concern is for a cat, which we all love!
He doesn’t live with me but I have talked to him about it:) it’s the next morning and she seems normal but we are trying to get her into an ultra sound on Saturday

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing all you can, thank you. She will most likely be just fine. Especially after he leaves. Children that age that harm animals have some serious social problems. Please come here any time you need help. Especially with birthing. We will fo all we can to help you. Bless you for loving her..

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pregnant cat keeps digging through her litter box and just sitting in it? She’s never done this before and I just cleaned it. She’s only 7 weeks so she isn’t ready to give birth yet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, when a cat does this they aren't feeling good and are seeking comfort. She may be feeling uncomfortable. Does she have a low-sided bed or box to lay in with a blanket? As long as she is eating/drinking/using the litter box ok, that usually means she is fine. If she quits eating or starts hiding, it may be time for a vet check.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Usually, when a cat does this they aren't feeling good and are seeking comfort. She may be feeling uncomfortable. Does she have a low-sided bed or box to lay in with a blanket? As long as she is eating/drinking/using the litter box ok, that usually means she is fine. If she quits eating or starts hiding, it may be time for a vet check.
She is eating drinking and acting ok, it’s just the litter box thing that’s really weird. Could it possibly be a nesting behavior?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it could be nesting, especially if it’s a covered box, but hopefully she will not give birth in her litter box. It’s happened, but it’s not ideal or sanitary for newborns.

Make sure she has a covered box with a blanket and just one entrance to give birth in. It may be where she feels most comfortable, but the box needs to be big enough for her to sit up to push and also to fully stretch out to nurse.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be nesting, especially if it’s a covered box, but hopefully she will not give birth in her litter box. It’s happened, but it’s not ideal or sanitary for newborns.

Make sure she has a covered box with a blanket and just one entrance to give birth in. It may be where she feels most comfortable, but the box needs to be big enough for her to sit up to push and also to fully stretch out to nurse.
I just put out a little bed for her, and open carrier, and a nesting box. She hasn’t tried to sit in her litter box since :)

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s leaking liquid. It’s not a lot so far but it’s greenish yellow and a little bit of white. What does this mean??? She’s 8 weeks today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be a bit of her mucus plug, or it could be a vaginal infection since she’s only 56 days.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a bit of her mucus plug, or it could be a vaginal infection since she’s only 56 days.
I think it was a bit of the mucus plug, she seems to be fine other wise. I don’t know if this makes a difference but she’s a little bit smaller in size.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mucus plug can be lost a week or so before labor. Hopefully she’ll hold the kittens another week at least. They need the time to develop. Preemie kittens do not often survive.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mucus plug can be lost a week or so before labor. Hopefully she’ll hold the kittens another week at least. They need the time to develop. Preemie kittens do not often survive.
I’m hoping she makes it to nine weeks, when is the soonest she can give birth without the kittens being premature.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
About 63 days, and that is if you are sure of when she mated. Even at 63 days the kittens can be less than 90 grams, which is considered premature birth weight. Let’s hope she holds the kittens!