Pregnant cat— ongoing questions

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 week pregnant girl has been having water like diarrhea on and off! I’m not sure if this is normal or not but besides the diarrhea she is eating plenty, drinking water, and also sleeping. I need answers. Please don’t try to scare me and give me the most accurate information you can, and please no “take her to the vet” thank you :)

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has she been on any parasite treatment before or during the pregnancy? If not, I would suggest contacting the vet about some deworming products and enquire which are safest for pregnant queens. It may also be a good idea to take in a stool sample for testing, in case its a parasite that isn't covered by general wormers or requires more extensive treatment. A fresh sample from home should do, so you shouldn't have to take her in.

Have you changed her food at all? Some plain boiled chicken (no salt or other additives) can help soothe an upset stomach as well, when you notice she is getting looser stool. Diarrhea during pregnancy isn't uncommon in any pregnancy so I wouldn't panic, just make sure she is getting plenty of fluid to replace what she has lost. If you notice any blood in the stool or she drops weight, however, then you really should consider consulting a professional.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, like it or not, at 6 weeks pregnant, loose, watery stool is not normal. Your cat likely has parasites that she will pass on to her kittens when they are born, so your best course of action is to get her treated now. You can take her in with a stool sample, and the parasites may or may not show up, but she needs treatment with metronidazole for 7 days. This takes care of parasites AND bacterial intestinal infection, none of which newborn kittens need to deal with.

If the kittens are born with this, they may not survive. It’s truly best to get mom treated now, Also, book mom for a spay about 8 weeks after the kittens are born.

I hope you’ll do the right thing and get mom treated now, even though you prefer to avoid a vet visit at this time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has she been on any parasite treatment before or during the pregnancy? If not, I would suggest contacting the vet about some deworming products and enquire which are safest for pregnant queens. It may also be a good idea to take in a stool sample for testing, in case its a parasite that isn't covered by general wormers or requires more extensive treatment. A fresh sample from home should do, so you shouldn't have to take her in.

Have you changed her food at all? Some plain boiled chicken (no salt or other additives) can help soothe an upset stomach as well, when you notice she is getting looser stool. Diarrhea during pregnancy isn't uncommon in any pregnancy so I wouldn't panic, just make sure she is getting plenty of fluid to replace what she has lost. If you notice any blood in the stool or she drops weight, however, then you really should consider consulting a professional.
Thank you for your help! She’s going for a check up tommorow so I will mention that to the vet

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, like it or not, at 6 weeks pregnant, loose, watery stool is not normal. Your cat likely has parasites that she will pass on to her kittens when they are born, so your best course of action is to get her treated now. You can take her in with a stool sample, and the parasites may or may not show up, but she needs treatment with metronidazole for 7 days. This takes care of parasites AND bacterial intestinal infection, none of which newborn kittens need to deal with.

If the kittens are born with this, they may not survive. It’s truly best to get mom treated now, Also, book mom for a spay about 8 weeks after the kittens are born.

I hope you’ll do the right thing and get mom treated now, even though you prefer to avoid a vet visit at this time.
My vet said that she will be fine and to just cut down on the wet food, she is still eating and drinking.. and even keeping food down

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cut down on the wet food? Pregnant cats need as much nutrition as they can get to bolster their pregnancy. I hope all goes well moving forward.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s possible that she is allergic to an ingredient in either the wet or dry food that she is eating. Trying a different brand of both might help. Try a high protein grain free wet and dry food such as Blue Buffalo or Purina Pro Plan. There are sensitive stomach varieties as well.

Also, has she been de-wormed?

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you talk to a different vet? She's not "fine".

Are you providing access to dry food?
Yes she has wet food twice a day and kibble in between, and please don’t take offense to this but I trust a vets opinion over yours. Thank you for your opinion though

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cut down on the wet food? Pregnant cats need as much nutrition as they can get to bolster their pregnancy. I hope all goes well moving forward.
She is now getting wet food once a day instead of twice!

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s possible that she is allergic to an ingredient in either the wet or dry food that she is eating. Trying a different brand of both might help. Try a high protein grain free wet and dry food such as Blue Buffalo or Purina Pro Plan. There are sensitive stomach varieties as well.

Also, has she been de-wormed?
She is on wellness kibble and whole hearted wet food she has been eating this for a while and this just started during her pregnancy

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is about 5 weeks pregnant and I worry a lot about the kittens in her even though she seems completely healthy. Do you guys know any tips or tricks to check on the unborn kittens (thag isn’t an ultra sound) thanks :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is no way to know what is going on inside without a scan or x-ray. Just pray!

Is your cat still having diarrhea?

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no way to know what is going on inside without a scan or x-ray. Just pray!

Is your cat still having diarrhea?
Nope! We just stopped feeding her so much at once and cut down on wet food, she’s good now.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ask questions on here a lot lol. But my cat will be giving birth in about 4 weeks. She already has her nesting box and I bought a few extra blankets, and some dog pads. But it’s there anything I should know about birth? Anything I should be prepared for? This is my first time with this so ANY I mean ANY tips would be great <3

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is about 6 weeks pregnant and I see kittens kicking when she is sleeping at a certain angle, and yes.. I KNOW WHAT I SAW. Please don’t tell me this isn’t possible because it just happened! Does this mean she is having a bigger litter? What does this mean?!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If about means almost 7; its fully possible.