Pregnant Cat on Day 64

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PearlandBeau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still don’t believe she has passed the placenta, and her labor has stalled again, though I feel one more kitten. It it normal for cats to have two interruptions to their labor?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's certainly possible for her to have another break in her labor. On the other hand, sometimes it feels like there is another kitten when all of them have been born already. It can take time for the uterus to shrink back to its normal size. You might just have to wait and see how it goes.

If you don't think she has passed the 3rd placenta, keep an eye on her... it's not good for her to have a retained placenta. But she might also pass the placenta and eat it before you notice.

PearlandBeau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s doing very well. Nothing else yet.
How are things now? Is the new kitten nursing?
The kitten is nursing so well. Still nothing more, it’s possible she had and ate the placenta when I went to tell my mom that she finally had the kitten. Pearl pushed over 2 hours with the kitten presenting. Vet said my option was an emergency c section. I knew there risks with that too, so I gave her a little bit more time. It was very stressful on her and I was with her the whole time, so I had my mom come to watch my kids.

The weird thing is that the 3rd one, the striped one, looks to be a girl. The others look like boys but I wouldn’t say that with any certainty at this age. I’m not used to sexing newborn kittens, normally 4-6 week old kittens.

Pearl is resting, sleeping, and cleaning the babies. She is a real trooper and I am so proud of her!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If mom is resting calmly and taking care of babies, I would assume all is well for now, just keep an eye on her. Very sweet family pictures :redheartpump:
The weird thing is that the 3rd one, the striped one, looks to be a girl. The others look like boys but I wouldn’t say that with any certainty at this age. I’m not used to sexing newborn kittens, normally 4-6 week old kittens.
It's probably a torbie girl in that case, and the red tabby patches are not yet apparent, which is often the case with newborn torbies. It could also be a tabby boy with less obvious boy parts compared to the others.

PearlandBeau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like I said, I could be completely wrong. I’m not positive on any of them... I’m great at sexing them when they are a bit older but this is a first for me.

They are all very sweet and we can’t wait to give them names ❤

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad to hear that all is well. Pearl must be exhausted. She’ll need lots of rest and good food!

PearlandBeau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If mom is resting calmly and taking care of babies, I would assume all is well for now, just keep an eye on her. Very sweet family pictures :redheartpump:

It's probably a torbie girl in that case, and the red tabby patches are not yet apparent, which is often the case with newborn torbies. It could also be a tabby boy with less obvious boy parts compared to the others.
Annnnd you were right. I looked a little better and is this some red?

Attachments

PearlandBeau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that all is well. Pearl must be exhausted. She’ll need lots of rest and good food!
I’ve been making sure she is eating and drinking. She is getting her strength back slowly but surely! ❤

PearlandBeau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pearl is eating so well, taking trips out of her nest to eat and use her litter box. She is so cozy and relaxed today, but she passed this a little while ago. Not seeing her pass the placenta, though she could have while I was out for a few minutes letting my mom know she finally had the kitten, makes me worried she has a retained placenta. Her temp was great yesterday and I’m about to take it shortly. Was wondering your thoughts and if this is a sign she has a retained placenta or normal?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is perfectly normal for cats to spot blood for 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus heals (just like human moms after birthing). The discharge should change from red to pink to brown. Heavy red bleeding and clots would signal a problem.

PearlandBeau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is perfectly normal for cats to spot blood for 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus heals (just like human moms after birthing). The discharge should change from red to pink to brown. Heavy red bleeding and clots would signal a problem.
Thank you. This makes me feel better! I thought for sure there was one more in there but I’m so glad she seems to be done and is well and that all kittens are thriving so far! I believe it’s a miracle she and the last kitten are ok 💕