Pregnant Cat Not Going Into Labor

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
BA98983E-C467-48D9-A7ED-633B599DB719.jpeg
So I rescued a cat, her name is Skye, 7 weeks ago. When I got her she was really thin so she was just barely noticeably pregnant and of course one of the earliest signs of pregnancy is her nipples, which were protruded and pink, still are and she has since then ripped out some of the fur around them. The first picture is of her when we first got her.

About two or three weeks ago we were able to see her babies moving.

580666B2-C72D-4ABE-AD59-024B6C83DDD4.jpeg
4E0DC41E-7FC5-461A-B460-92BB445A429B.jpeg

And this is what she looked like then. These pictures were taken October 26th. I got her on the 19th of September.

As of a little less than a week ago, it looks like her belly has fallen and now is hanging but she has yet to show any signs of labor and if it’s been almost 9 weeks that isn’t good, cats are supposed to start going into labor during their 8th week???

DBACD14E-9D99-474E-AA49-BEA051288A2D.jpeg
87C275EC-CFA5-40CA-99F2-5459E7885BBE.jpeg
5D9E5E17-CA6E-4104-BEBD-2B3276403123.jpeg

This is what her belly looks like as of two days ago.

We keep her in a large cage since I rent an apartment and can’t have her having her babies in the kitchen cabinets or something. I lined the cage with towels and sheets and put a pillow in for her which she likes. I do let her run around the apartment when I can keep an eye on her to try and help induce labor.

When we first got her she was very affectionate but hissed at any cat who came near her. She doesn’t hiss at them as much now, and for the past few days she’ll randomly start meowing and then stop. She’s still eating a lot and drinks a lot too, when she uses the bathroom it isn’t solid but not completely runny either, and she isn’t grooming herself as constantly as she used to. In the last two weeks she would constantly be grooming herself down there.
She isn’t lactating, doesn’t have any discharge, isn’t showing signs of pushing, and she isn’t going into labor. I’m worried. I talked to me vet when I took in a different kitten and she said it should be anytime now, but if she doesn’t go into labor soon I’m going to have to take her in. I’m worried she lost her babies? I’ve never had a pregnant cat before and I have no idea how far along she was when we got her but that first picture was when we got her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’ve been reading as many articles as I can find but nothing helps calm my nerves!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she has dropped, but it could still be 3-5 more days. Not all cats begin to lactate before giving birth.

I agree with your vet to wait a few more days. She should have them naturally when her body is ready. She does not sound overdue yet, and kittens can be premature by a day or two and not survive, so give it time.

Please keep us posted! :)

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I believe she dropped 3-4 days ago, at least that’s when I noticed her belly was different and it swings when she walks now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds normal to me. Cats can drop a good week or so before giving birth. Just hang in there. :)

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
730DD829-2214-466B-860B-03BB6582EB73.jpeg
I’ll try! I currently have two pregnant kitties, Skye who is going to pop any day now and Noir who I rescued with four of her kittens who’s got a long ways to go ❤

I just let Skye run around, I heard it helps to induce labor and she likes to explore, she randomly will stay to meow, not sure if she’s meowing at us or if she’s just excited?

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just checked Skyes belly and it looks like she’s lactating so that’s a a good sign

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she has dropped, but it could still be 3-5 more days. Not all cats begin to lactate before giving birth.

I agree with your vet to wait a few more days. She should have them naturally when her body is ready. She does not sound overdue yet, and kittens can be premature by a day or two and not survive, so give it time.

Please keep us posted! :)

So last night I kept waking up to her randomly meowing from in her cage, woke up in the morning and still no babies. I’m letting her run around the apartment for a bit until I have to go to bed. I’m pretty sure she was lactating when I looked, but her belly is so fluffy and she doesn’t let me look for long so it’s hard to tell for sure.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure what to think. It looks like her belly has gotten smaller and she isn’t meowing as much anymore, plus she is back to hissing at the other cats. I’m wondering if she experienced a false pregnancy or lost her babies. I’m going to make an appointment for her to see a vet soon because I’m not sure what to think!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi BlazenlyObvious, welcome to TCS. Please try to relax and enjoy a happy coming event.You don't want your anxiety to be felt by your lovely Skye.

Pregnancy lasts on average between 65 and 71 days. Last saturday in your first post you were reckoning that 9 weeks had elapsed since mating which means it will be only 69 days today. No reason to be worried so far.:)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If her belly looks smaller it is because the kittens have dropped lower into the birth canal in preparation for birth.

She also sounds very uncomfortable and the hissing is her defensiveness in guarding her babies against predators.

Things sound “end of pregnancy” normal to me!

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s hard for me not to be worried haha, I just want her to be okay. Im debating setting up a vet appointment just in case she doesn’t deliver over the weekend in case there is some sort of complication. I was told to wait and see until Sunday and then show concern, as it will be over 70 days. Im really hoping she delivers soon, im almost certain she’s lactating it at least a little because it’s hard to check her belly, she doesn’t like to lay on her side but instead right smack dab on her belly, is that weird?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet appointment is a good idea since it will soothe your nerves which will help calm all the cats. More, it couldn't hurt.

While you're waiting, have you totally kitten proofed your apartment? Remember they'll be the size of your fist when they start running around. Look for holes and seal them up with duck tape or stuff a towel at least the size of a hand towel in them. No kittens in the walls.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats will skip a meal or two before delivering. So if she's eating like a hog and then you find that she hasn't made a dent in the meal she usually devours that means she's close. Cats can delay birth if they don't feel settled into a queening spot. I had that happen with a TnR. It's good that you are concerned and are on top of things as much as you can be. She's in good hands.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
A vet appointment is a good idea since it will soothe your nerves which will help calm all the cats. More, it couldn't hurt.

While you're waiting, have you totally kitten proofed your apartment? Remember they'll be the size of your fist when they start running around. Look for holes and seal them up with duck tape or stuff a towel at least the size of a hand towel in them. No kittens in the walls.
I’m working on kitten proofing, thankfully there aren’t any holes but the kittens I’ve rescued have a habit of hiding under the couch

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats will skip a meal or two before delivering. So if she's eating like a hog and then you find that she hasn't made a dent in the meal she usually devours that means she's close. Cats can delay birth if they don't feel settled into a queening spot. I had that happen with a TnR. It's good that you are concerned and are on top of things as much as you can be. She's in good hands.
She hasn’t been eating as much as she did before, she also doesn’t like the bed I made her very much but I’m hoping she chooses a good spot and I don’t have a huge mess to clean up! She’s probably stressed because of the other cats but for the most part they don’t bother her.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she doesn’t wander around meowing constantly anymore, she likes to lay on my bed or on the windowsills for the most part and wants nothing to do with the other cats. I catch her aggressively grooming herself occasionally but not much. As for the beds I scattered around for her, she has checked out a few. Two nights ago she was laying in one in the kitchen and I had a giant box I stuck in my closet that she’s gone into a few times to check out, but she still prefers other spots. She keeps trying to get outside when we open the door, thankfully we have two doors so she doesn’t get the opportunity, but I find it weird. I also observed her rolling around on the floor a few nights ago which isn’t something I ever see her do. She definitely doesn’t seem to be eating as much but she does still drink a good bit.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to get outside is part of the desire to make many nests to find the right one. Put some blankets and towels down here and there. If you've got it, unroll 1/4 of a roll of paper towels in a corner, maybe a roll of toilet paper in another. Let her have the best nesting experience in all cats' dreams.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trying to get outside is part of the desire to make many nests to find the right one. Put some blankets and towels down here and there. If you've got it, unroll 1/4 of a roll of paper towels in a corner, maybe a roll of toilet paper in another. Let her have the best nesting experience in all cats' dreams.
I didn’t think of paper towels, I’ll try that! I did get some boxes and litter boxes and put towels in them around the house, even put one in my closet since that’s more private. I was also debating getting puppy pee pads but they’re a bit too pricey for me