Pregnant cat lethargic and panting. Going into labor or sick?

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a pregnant stray as a foster a few weeks ago and since we don't know exactly how far along she is, vet said to expect kittens any day as of 2 weeks ago. Well until the past few days she's had a huge appetite and thirst and she's been ultra affectionate and has been nesting since she got here. I noticed this morning she hadn't eaten much which I took to be a sign labor might be near, but she also seems like she's lost weight, not in her belly like the kittens dropped but her spine is a lot more prominent (she's been under weight since we found her but was gaining.). she seems to have chosen a new nesting spot and is now panting and her eye is kinda twitching and she isn't soliciting play or affection the way she was. If she weren't pregnant I'd think she was sick, but I'm wondering if it means she might be going into labor? No milk, no visible contractions, she seems lethargic not restless. Should I just assume she's going into labor or should I be worried she's sick? If it's labor should I leave her be or sit next to her and comfort her. She barely seems to notice I'm there right now which is a huge change from the past few weeks.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I took in a pregnant stray as a foster a few weeks ago and since we don't know exactly how far along she is, vet said to expect kittens any day as of 2 weeks ago. Well until the past few days she's had a huge appetite and thirst and she's been ultra affectionate and has been nesting since she got here. I noticed this morning she hadn't eaten much which I took to be a sign labor might be near, but she also seems like she's lost weight, not in her belly like the kittens dropped but her spine is a lot more prominent (she's been under weight since we found her but was gaining.). she seems to have chosen a new nesting spot and is now panting and her eye is kinda twitching and she isn't soliciting play or affection the way she was. If she weren't pregnant I'd think she was sick, but I'm wondering if it means she might be going into labor? No milk, no visible contractions, she seems lethargic not restless. Should I just assume she's going into labor or should I be worried she's sick? If it's labor should I leave her be or sit next to her and comfort her. She barely seems to notice I'm there right now which is a huge change from the past few weeks.
its not easy to know for sure.  They CAN be sick although pregnant.  But considering her time IS near, and this with spine being visible is probably a part of dropping - my guess would be, her prelabor has began.

You are welcome to sit near and hold company, she will almost surely welcome it.   It happens even some rescued shy semiferales, taken in just a few days ago, accept the caretaker to be near and want the company.

Make sure you do have some honey water with a trifle salt in, as a sort of basic homemade pedialyte... It may become useful.

Get home also some kmr or goats milk,  IF.    And if its not necessary, it will always be useful as extra nourishment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm pretty sure she's going into labor now! She's either started having visible contractions or the kittens are having a disco party in there! Gah such an anxious and excited foster mom!

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so she just delivered 2 kittens, but I'm worried she is rejecting the first one. The first one couldn't find a nipple even after the second started nursing and keeps crying intermittently. Then the mom carried the second kitten to a new spot and didn't come back for the first one. I brought the first one over but can't tell if it found a nipple yet. How quickly do newborn kittens have to nurse?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Guide the kitten to a nipple, but if mom has more to deliver she may move away for a bit. I hope all is well!

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think kitten 1 was just too cold without a buddy. She was born into my lap and then momma moved her to the cold floor rather than the cozy nesting box. 6 kittens later everyone is nursing and snuggling seemingly doing quite well. Thanks!

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems quite tired, but so far seems to have great mothering instincts. I'm just worried the room is too chilly for them. I put a hot water bottle in the nesting box, but the room it isn't as warm as I'd like and I can't find anywhere that sells a space heater or heating pad this late :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She seems quite tired, but so far seems to have great mothering instincts. I'm just worried the room is too chilly for them. I put a hot water bottle in the nesting box, but the room it isn't as warm as I'd like and I can't find anywhere that sells a space heater or heating pad this late
With momma there the kittens should manage, as she is well caretaking.  You know the trick of rice in socks, nuke them in micro, about 5 minutes, and it becomes good heating pads, holds several hours?  Wrape the socks in a towel, not to overdo the warmth....

Give this honey water to momma I wrote about earlier, it will kick in energy into her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
pa another option to find heating lamps this late is to ask your neigbours.  In times of need  people are helpsome.

An heating IR-lamp is useful.  Many rheumatics has them.   Just be sure they cant get burnet on the self lampl

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congratulations on the kittens! Yes, do ask around, or perhaps order a space heater online. At the least, keep the hot water bottle nearby.

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! I was not expecting the temperature to drop so much last night and was so unprepared! I used a hot waterbottle and rice heating pad and was able to gerryrig a space heater using a portable clothes dryer I had in my closet that works by blowing hot air. Much to my surprise I woke up to two more kittens this morning, but unfortunately one of them didn't make it. I don't see any obvious deformities or cause of death other than he was kinda separate from the others and looked like maybe mom had been lying on top of him and smooshed him? Is that possible? I know a loss in a litter of 8 isn't uncommon (plus mom was a very thin stray) but if it was anything preventable I want to be sure to take appropriate steps for the other kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's difficult to know what happened when one is lost. Continue keeping them warm, and can you weigh them daily? It's the only way to know if all are gaining 6-10 grams daily each. With 7 there is likely to be a runt or even two.

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend took a closer look at the guy who didn't make it and said he had a pretty obvious skull deformity I had missed because I was a little freaked. All the kittens are pretty big to the point I think they were overdue. I tried weighing, but before I could get a reading on the first one, momma snatched him back. She trusts me and lets me handle them but didn't like me taking him away from the rest. I guess I'll try again in a bit.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With 7 kittens, please get some KMR formula and a bottle or syringes without needles. I think most any brand (BUT NOT HARTZ) will work. The powdered form is much more cost-effective.

Momma can drink KMR and it helps her supplement her calcium level and milk production.
You should have it so if any of the kittens are not getting enough from mom you can supplement them if needed.

I was lucky with my Kiki and her six kittens because she had plenty of milk and they all did very well. Kiki had continuous access to kitten kibble and we supplied wet food several times a day. We also gave her KMR

I fostered her after she had been abandoned at the shelter in a box with her six kittens at about 1 day old. Kiki was quite small when she came to us, and we think she was 9 months old.

All the kittens were adopted out, and I kept Kiki

Last edited:

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mom wasn't happy, but I think I accurately got them all. Some are definitely smaller than others, but for appx. twelve hours old, 102g-118g is fine so far, right?

Black: 107g
Gray: 116g
Dark striped: 113g
Striped white neck: 109g
Black white white nose: 103g
Black white black nose: 118g
Light striped: 102g

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll go get some KMR to have on hand in case anyone isn't gaining. How do I know when to supplement?

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's difficult to know what happened when one is lost. Continue keeping them warm, and can you weigh them daily? It's the only way to know if all are gaining 6-10 grams daily each. With 7 there is likely to be a runt or even two.
As Sarthur2 Sarthur2 says, they should gain 6-10 g per day. At least they are different colors so it's easy to tell them apart.

thescrappack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the first day they don't gain at least 6g I should start supplementing, or is it more of an average of 6-10g a day?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six to 10 grams is the minimum gain per day. More is fine. Their newborn weights are in the normal range. If you weigh them in front of mom she may get less upset.