Pregnant Cat Keeps Meowing and Hasn’t Eaten Much

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of the kittens is making weird noises. kind of like vomiting. i dont hear it meowing when it opens its mouth. and it occasionally breathes heavily out once. again im sorry for spamming

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the kitten was dead even before it was delivered :(. half of its body looked incomplete and its head was small. no fur
Oh, ok. In that case, its just to let momma notice the baby is gone, and take away and bury it or do whatever suitable.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
how do i know if they are receiving (enough) milk? ive squeezed some of my cat’s nipples but there’s nothing coming out. but they are all latched on for the past hour or so, except for one kitten.
Its often the difficulty. Weakish kitten may seem to nurse, but gets practically nothing... In such a case the trick is to weigh it; in the beginning every 12 hours... If it gains at least 6grammes a day, good. If not, you hand feed it... Sometimes its enough with a day or two, till they get full strengh.

So, how to know? for a less experienced the easiest is to weight till you see they gain good.

A very experienced person do usually notices it herself. By looking and weighting in hand.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
one of the kittens is making weird noises. kind of like vomiting. i dont hear it meowing when it opens its mouth. and it occasionally breathes heavily out once. again im sorry for spamming
Im not sure its normal... If one kitten was faulty developed, it may have happened with others too; even if less grossly...

Did you tried to handfeed it? Its easy to make it wrongly...

I think you must wait and see... Take care as well as you can as usual, but dont be surprised if it goes.

Im not sure the standard advice "run to a vet helps"... Most vets are clueless re small kittens, unless they work much with breeders or with rescuers...
If a kitten is clearly a goner they will help with pts, but otherwise many are quite clueless.

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
two of them pooped and peed (including the one that makes weird noises)
one peed

i’ve listed the weights
birth weights were (12:52 pm)
k#1 96.3
k#2 108.2
k#3 78.5

4:03pm
k#1 100.2
k#2 112.7
k#3 80.4 (5:26*)

7:20pm
k#1 103.0
k#2 115.2
k#3 81.6

9:11pm (now)
k#1 103.5
k#2 115.3
k#3 83.3

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are these weights going up from nursing mom? If so, they are getting milk.

Weighing daily in grams will tell you if they are gaining enough — 6 to 10 grams per day or more is recommended.

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
momma cat has eaten her food, defecated, and drank plenty of water but she is still panting and meowing.

also my other concern is it normal for one of the kittens (k#2) to have a prominent red paws and red nose? he has only peed tho. i have 25w incandescent lamp over them because they are currently staying in an air-conditioned room (around 23 celsius)

again im so sorry for spamming. thank you guys so much for replying :’)

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
momma cat has eaten her food, defecated, and drank plenty of water but she is still panting and meowing.

also my other concern is it normal for one of the kittens (k#2) to have a prominent red paws and red nose? he has only peed tho. i have 25w incandescent lamp over them because they are currently staying in an air-conditioned room (around 23 celsius)

again im so sorry for spamming. thank you guys so much for replying :’)
Re coloring. I presume they are points "siamese mixes" so the coloring is normal. They will darken up on face and ears in a few days.

Momma has surely some aferpains, ie aftercontractons. Its normal. She will surely also discharge some blood colored fluids.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ StefanZ on coloring and after pains. Give mom a dish or two a day of kitten formula. It helps with cramping and heavy breathing and she needs the calcium for nursing.

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all three of them defecated a few hours ago, is this a normal color for their poop?

Attachments

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
as of right now, they also lost 1-2 grams of their previous weight, should i be concerned?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The poop looks okay, and as long as they are gaining over each 24-hour period they should be fine.

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they've been nursing from their mom ever since they were born :cloud9:
7:41 am (their weights from this morning)
k#1 104.4g
k#2 115.4g
k#3 81.1g

7:56pm (currently)
k#1 111.8g
k#2 122.4g
k#3 88.3g

i’d like to ask;
*how many minutes should a nursing session be?
*is it normal for one of the kittens (k#1) to make a hissing noise and hissing face?

*is it normal for kittens to have their mouth slightly open while sleeping and twitching? i don’t hear any sounds of heavy breathing or anything, just a tad bit concerned.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nursing sessions can be long or short. Sometimes a kitten nurses for milk and other times for comfort.

Kittens sleep all kinds of ways and begin hissing very young! It’s a bit like human babies cooing, grunting, and snuffling.

Weight gains are good so far!

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry for asking too much. how often should they poop? considering the fact that they nurse from their momma. they havent pooped today but only one kitten excreted something yellow. all three of them do gain weight but im anxious if it‘s actually just poop in their tummies. also im unsure if mama licked it off as there are no poop stains on the pee pads they lay on.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom should be cleaning their bottoms, though you may occasionally see poop stains.

Are you weighing them in grams? Keep a log.

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i woke up to find that my cat hid the runt under my bed. i crawled to go get it but mama cat kept biting me to stop and she rushed to the kitten, then started licking it.
they are all gaining weight steadily and seem pretty healthy.

OH- as i am writing this she is trying to move a different kitten this time to the same location as before. i stopped her because the place where shes going to put them in is dusty,messy,cold floor, and no space. i put them back into the tent accustomed with a heating pad on one side and she is still desperate to place underneath my bed. why is she doing this? they all seem gaining weight steadily and all seem to be pretty healthy.

haykaw.v2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ANYONE HELP momma cat takes loonnng breaks outside of the tent ,where the kittens lay in, and the kittens only nurse for 12 minutes or less. sometimes even 3. They used to nurse for much longer 25 minutes+. currently i mostly see momma cat leave even with the baby kittens still latched on but when mama does stay, the kittens don’t latch for that long (refer above).

also yesterday I accidentally pushed about 1 ml or less of liquid vitamin to my cat's mouth and she coughed right afterwards, so I panicked and patted her back until she stopped. I can sometimes hear her breathing when sleeping. will she be alright?

here’s a video of her breathing ; here’s another one

i’ve scheduled a vet appointment for both the momma cat and the kittens. the only available time the vet has is for tomorrow :sigh: my parents are also reluctant because to them it doesn’t sound like that big of a deal unless they show symptoms something far worse…

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat’s breathing does not sound normal to me. It sounds like snuffling through a clogged nose, so perhaps she has an upper respiratory infection? Antibiotics would cure it. If not — a deviated septum?

I’m with you in thinking a vet visit is needed. Let us know what the vet says.

Are the kittens gaining weight daily?

haykaw.v2 haykaw.v2