Pregnant Cat I Need Help!

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey I have a stray cat that's heavily pregnant due any day now.
Anyway I found a yellowish looking thing kinda the same as Carmel on her fur on her back is this her mucus plug? I had to cut it out.
I've never had a pregnant cat and this is all very knew I have things like beds etc
She is still eating going to the toilet like normal she's acting fine no signs of labour at all.
I'm super scared.
Photo of what I believe is the mucus plug.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also her stomach has dropped a lot since yesterday.

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone anyone at all?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mucus plug is often described as greenish, but it was still probably the mucus plug.
As she looks smaller, she has dropped now, and the delivery is very near now. Perhaps even hours.

Sometimes they have visibly early labor for hours (active pushing labor is much shorter than with humans)

But sometimes the kittens just seems to come... Plop, plop plop! :)

Good luck!
Also her stomach has dropped a lot since yesterday.

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)
Will keep you update
She is still eating and just sleeping a lot. Hopefully they are close.

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I woke up this morning and she looks very skinny but her stomach is still hard I had her in a room by herself with literally the things she needs and I can't find any babies.

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I should have added she's had milk for about 3-4 days now

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright so I have a few questions.

You said she is a stray, was pregnancy confirmed by a vet? I ask because there are conditions that can mimic pregnancy.

Is she feral? Or is she friendly?

I know you are already nervous, but I ask because ferals sometimes when confined do not feel safe and will um...dispose...of their babies right after birth.

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes was confirmed by a vet. They said about 7-8 weeks it's been over 3 weeks since
Super friendly to me and my partner but is very scared of other people so I'm made sure no one comes over and has been over.
And I just felt a baby moving right at the bottom of her belly. (I'm sure it's a baby. I've had experience with pregnant dogs and birthing just not cats)

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes was confirmed by a vet. They said about 7-8 weeks it's been over 3 weeks since
Super friendly to me and my partner but is very scared of other people so I'm made sure no one comes over and has been over.
And I just felt a baby moving right at the bottom of her belly. (I'm sure it's a baby. I've had experience with pregnant dogs and birthing just not cats)
Okay well it sounds like she is just not quite there yet. If she is friendly towards you two and trusts you , most likely she will meow and seek your attention when she is in actual labor. The majority of cat births go off without a hitch so don't worry too much.

If the vet said 7-8 weeks that strikes me as odd since the length of pregnancy for a cat is only 64-67 days. That would mean he confirmed pregnancy after only one week or a few days. She has a bit of time left but if you felt a baby move then things seem to be fine for now.

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you.
And okay stranges I may have to take her to another vet to be sure.
The only reason I notice her previews her super big belly. So I'll definitely take her to see someone else.

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you.
And okay stranges I may have to take her to another vet to be sure.
The only reason I notice her previews her super big belly. So I'll definitely take her to see someone else.
Yeah I would get a 2nd opinion if only so you know how far along she is and have a better idea of when to expect the new kittens. Also, they will make sure everything is good now since she seems to have gotten skinny.

I would also check the room she is in very well to make sure she did not give birth elsewhere and then decided to move. (don't know if it is an empty room or there are hiding places). Cats sometimes will begin labor and if for some reason do not feel comfortable they will move. Generally they will move the kittens with them but if you suspect she is a first time Mom, it is a possibility she did not do so or rejected them.

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very empty bedroom with dark curtains and no one goes on that side of the house so is also quite
It's has everything she needs in there that's about it I also have the cupboard open with a bed just in case she wants to use that but can not see any signs of birth.
But from my experience with dogs I feel like the babies could have just moved down. I'm not sure if they have similar births though that's why I'm scared.
I've witnessed a dog try to eat her puppy and saved it in time and had to bottle feed it. So very nervous about this.

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very empty bedroom with dark curtains and no one goes on that side of the house so is also quite
It's has everything she needs in there that's about it I also have the cupboard open with a bed just in case she wants to use that but can not see any signs of birth.
But from my experience with dogs I feel like the babies could have just moved down. I'm not sure if they have similar births though that's why I'm scared.
I've witnessed a dog try to eat her puppy and saved it in time and had to bottle feed it. So very nervous about this.
Well you're doing quite well. You've taken her in, given her all she needs and a nice quiet place for her to bring her babies into the world. Other than checking in on her from time to time, nature needs to do the rest.

Keep us updated! and hoping all goes smooth for you and your new kitty.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There's no need for a second opinion. It sounds like the kittens have moved lower in preparation for labor and delivery.

Once a cat's milk comes in the kittens usually come within the week.

At this point all you can do is wait for Mother Nature to run its course! :)

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh
There's no need for a second opinion. It sounds like the kittens have moved lower in preparation for labor and delivery.

Once a cat's milk comes in the kittens usually come within the week.

At this point all you can do is wait for Mother Nature to run its course! :)
yes that's what I read but I wasn't 100% sure
I did Take her to the vet yesterday and was told she isn't far away and to just wait for her to give birth.
I have a digital baby monitor in her room so I can check her without disturbing her to much. And I'll be able to see and hear I've she goes into labour.
But as of right now she's still acting normal so don't think babies will be tonight. But there's always tonight. :)

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still don't know how many she's having the vet wanted to do an Xray but I didn't want to do that. So I'll just have to make sure she doesn't get any stuck.
From what I feel there's about 3-4

Sdxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys she now has a clear discharge.
It's not heaps but it's enough to notice.
This is all normal?