Pregnant Cat Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! Great gains! :)

Is the litter box big enough? A box with a lid would prevent this as well.

If she's not done this in the past it should correct when she feels a little more "with it" after having babies.

Can you put doggie pee pads around the box in the meantime?
The litter box that I have already has a lid. She was doing it before she had the babies also. I was thinking of using doggie pee pads, since I don't want her to ruin any more of my towels. When I see her use the bathroom, all she does is step in and then she goes. No sniffing at all

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So her bum is sticking out the opening?

Try removing the lid in this case and see if she appreciates the extra room to maneuver.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of her kittens is making a clicking noise when it breathes, I just noticed. Is this normal? He is still eating but usually when I pick one of the kittens up they squirm or hiss at me (lol) but he doesn't as much

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of her kittens is making a clicking noise when it breathes, I just noticed. Is this normal? He is still eating but usually when I pick one of the kittens up they squirm or hiss at me (lol) but he doesn't as much
The noise isn't constant also

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K kittycat1004j

Oh dear. The clicking noise when breathing often indicates pneumonia. I suggest getting this kitten checked out immediately, and an antibiotic started. This could turn more serious very quickly.

I suspect the kitten inhaled fluids into its lungs during the birthing process. This will only get worse and can kill the kitten.

Can you get to an emergency vet?

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my foster mom just had her babies on Tuesday. Up until today she had been alright with me picking them up (to take their weight). I had her for three weeks before she had them and she was a little shy. She would love to be pet but I had to go to her. Today, she swatted and hissed at me when I went to pick up a baby. I don't why the sudden mood change and I want to fix it.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is just being protective of her babies. Follow her lead.
When she is laying with them, we go to pet her and not even looking at babies, she gets mad. She lets us pet her for like a minute then she gets this agitated look on her face. Also she tries to bite me. Will this go away?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave her alone in the nest for now. She is being protective, and viewing you as invading the nest. Weigh the babies quickly each day while mom is up and about. You need to follow her lead.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leave her alone in the nest for now. She is being protective, and viewing you as invading the nest. Weigh the babies quickly each day while mom is up and about. You need to follow her lead.
Okay, I'm just going to leave them alone. She is in my room with them because I have no spare room. I obviously leave the door closed at all times. She is underneath my big desk with a blanket covering about 3/4 of the opening. Is this okay?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This sounds good! Moms want privacy with their babies. Do weigh them quickly in front of mom, but otherwise try to be unobtrusive. Put mom's food, water, and litter nearby also. Mom will be grateful!

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my pregnant foster had her litter about 2 weeks. 2 out of 4 of them, meow very loudly when being picked up. Is there anyway that I can help them get used to me? I'm trying to get them to not meow as much because Mom is very protective and she gets anxious when we have them and they meow

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than to weigh them, I would wait until they are 3-4 weeks to socialize them. No reason to stress out mom and kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. There's plenty of time for the kittens to get to know you when they begin exploring outside of the nest. Even then, you might want to just sit on the floor nearby initially and let them come crawl on you and check you out first! :)

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. There's plenty of time for the kittens to get to know you when they begin exploring outside of the nest. Even then, you might want to just sit on the floor nearby initially and let them come crawl on you and check you out first! :)
Hi! Sorry it's been so long, I've been super busy. Kittens are doing great! They all come to me now, so I don't really worry about momma as much. They'e going to be four weeks this Tuesday.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster cat's babies are getting around that time to use the litter. My question is how do I get mama to not use a small pan that's just for them?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't? She needs to show them how to do it. Get a larger pan that they can all fit in and is low enough for the kittens to get in and out.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't? She needs to show them how to do it. Get a larger pan that they can all fit in and is low enough for the kittens to get in and out.
The problem with my foster is that when the sides are too low and it's too small, when she goes to poop it always ends up outside the box :/ so her litter is too big for them.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well maybe put something like puppy pads or newspaper around it so when that happens its not too big of a deal.