Pregnant cat grooming/peeing questions

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked up a stray pregnant cat a week ago and realised it rarely groom itself. I wonder if this is normal and her butthole seems slightly red which I’m not sure is it due to her giving birth soon or what. Can someone give me a picture of a normal pregnant cat butthole? Lol. I went to the vet a week ago to check and she’s 2 weeks away from delivery date. Also, I set up a nursery room for her with peepads on the ground in case if her babies pop but she used it to pee 😅 how do I discourage that behaviour? She do pee and poop in her litter box though..

lunaravenheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also took in a feral who stopped cleaning herself and we had to give her a clean up job, wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us bonding at its best 🙈 she was red, crusty and quite sore before, after we cleaned her up she didn't have that problem anymore and had gone back to normal since having her kittens.
It was also about 2 weeks before her due date.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also took in a feral who stopped cleaning herself and we had to give her a clean up job, wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us bonding at its best 🙈 she was red, crusty and quite sore before, after we cleaned her up she didn't have that problem anymore and had gone back to normal since having her kittens.
It was also about 2 weeks before her due date.
Is it normal for her to be panting while walking?

lunaravenheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for her to be panting while walking?

Yes totally! Mine panted a few times and I thought here we go over the last two weeks but I read somewhere it's practice for the big day :) is she friendly towards you? One of the two ferals I took in had maternal aggression, I got a really big box for her and the kittens for after labour as it would have been impossible to move them after birth as she would have happily ripped my arm off 🙈

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes totally! Mine panted a few times and I thought here we go over the last two weeks but I read somewhere it's practice for the big day :) is she friendly towards you? One of the two ferals I took in had maternal aggression, I got a really big box for her and the kittens for after labour as it would have been impossible to move them after birth as she would have happily ripped my arm off 🙈
She’s really friendly, I think she’s a stray and not a feral. Her nursing items are on the way, probably in 2-3 days time..I hope she will give birth after then *fingers crossed* ! Meanwhile I already set up a temporary corner in case but it seems to me she dislike it. Her panting and breathing heavily scares me 😅 Does your cat have lesser appetite when going into labour? I just want to make sure I won’t see kittens popping up the moment I wake up the next day 😨

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like your cat may give birth at anytime now. Be prepared for this. If so, go with the flow and provide whatever she needs. Sounds like you are prepared, so try to relax.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this is fairly common. Usually expalained by they beging that thick, cant no longer reach into down there. But whom knows, perhaps they ALSO by some reason, dont bother about their butt?? Any way, more than one caretaker had to clean her up manually.

Some panting is too natural being that high preg... Her lungs are squezzed... Even if pregnancy isnt a disease, but the physical conditions are real and makes things more difficult for all females. (sorry for my mansplaining here in a forum with mainly women participating)

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I placed the pee pads inside her playpen for birthing, she always used the litter box as usual. But after I placed it, she will pee inside which made me change my pee pads everyday. I did not anticipate such behaviour and did not buy a lot of pee pads. What should I do to discourage this behaviour?

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there enough room in the playpen for her litter box?

Consider buying washable and reusable puppy pee pads as they usually come with a waterproof backing.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s actually a temporary playpen, the new one has yet to come so it’s a small playpen just enough space for her to birth her kitties. Can’t imagine if the actual one actually came and she will pee in it everyday…😅 the new one would be much larger and I will most probably fit her litter box inside, although it has just enough space but not spacious.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s due in 1-2 weeks time and she kept peeing outside litter box. She still does poop in her litter box but never peeing inside…help! Should I be concerned??

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You said she’s going on the pee pads and it was suggested to put a litter box in her play pen nest. You said it’s too small, so the alternative would be 2 litter boxes side by side — one for pee and one for poop. Try removing the pee pads for now too. She sees those as an alternative.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You said she’s going on the pee pads and it was suggested to put a litter box in her play pen nest. You said it’s too small, so the alternative would be 2 litter boxes side by side — one for pee and one for poop. Try removing the pee pads for now too. She sees those as an alternative.
Her litter box is already in the playpen, should I just put another one outside the playpen?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could definitely try that. I also think her behavior may change after she has the kittens. She’s very hormonal right now.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could definitely try that. I also think her behavior may change after she has the kittens. She’s very hormonal right now.
Will her behaviour change after she get spayed? I’m talking in about 3-4 months time when kittens are all weaned from her. I am unable to let her roam around the house due to the fact she may anyhow pee/poop in any place lol.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help! I recently placed a camera inside her enclosed room and found out that even though I placed one litter box inside the playpen, and one outside the playpen, she actually went into the one inside the playpen, sniffed a while and decided to pee on the pee pads inside the playpen but outside the litter box. Oh my gosh, I am starting to wonder if she was pee pad trained…help… should I change her litter type to soft sand or other types? I just want her to stop peeing on pee pads! 😭😭😭
Look at her just peeing on the pee pad..I don’t even dare to put fleece blankets as she will pee on it..
IMG_0273.jpeg

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pee pads are exactly that, impregnated with a smell to entice animals to pee on them. So if she is peeing on them, that is what they are for. get some disposable urinary incontinent chair pads for humans, that wouldn't have any smell on it, but she may be used to going on the pads now.
Wow you’re right, I removed all the pee pads and placed 2 litter box inside the playpen and she did not pee anywhere else! Tomorrow I shall put one litter box out and leave one litter box inside and hopefully she won’t pee on the playpen itself *fingers crossed*

Btw any idea on what to do if I am unable to place fleece blankets/mats if she always pee on it? I need them for her to give birth on it safely…

lunaravenheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I placed the pee pads inside her playpen for birthing, she always used the litter box as usual. But after I placed it, she will pee inside which made me change my pee pads everyday. I did not anticipate such behaviour and did not buy a lot of pee pads. What should I do to discourage this behaviour?
I couldn't do a birthing box for Charlie as everytime I made one up she eould go toilet in it. She just vibed on my bed until she went into labour.