Pregnant Cat Due Soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s safe (non-toxic) and add a couple drops to each of their feedings. Give them time. They’ll poop.
Ok will do next feeding. Hopefully they go number two soon!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night all kittens just started going to the bathroom on their own, it was a bit messy! This morning though they have started to use the litter box a lot. Phew!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so confused as to what's wrong with the smallest kitten, he goes through weight cycles. Like he'll gain like 0.7 ounces in one day then keep at that same weight for 3 or 4 days, then lose 0.1/2 ounces than gain it again. And he's been in that cycle for 3 weeks now, right now he's not gaining and his appetite has went down. He used to drink about 6 mls each feeding but now he only drinks 2 or 3, and I have to really make him drink that amount. But I'm sure that in a few days all of a sudden his appetite will come back and he'll gain a bunch. Do you guys know whats going on with him?

Also we called the vet about the terramycin and we'd have to spend $40 just for the vet to get a proper diagnosis. So she said to feed them L-lysine, will that clear his eyes?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also we called the vet about the terramycin and we'd have to spend $40 just for the vet to get a proper diagnosis.
Hmm, most vets will sell it OTC. Is buying it online not an option?

Lysine can help to suppress herpes infections, and most eye infections in cats are caused hy a herpes strain. But I think the money that would be used to buy the lysine would be better spent on terramycin.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, most vets will sell it OTC. Is buying it online not an option?

Lysine can help to suppress herpes infections, and most eye infections in cats are caused hy a herpes strain. But I think the money that would be used to buy the lysine would be better spent on terramycin.
Since I live in Canada getting it online would take too long. I already have some lysine so it's not like I have to pay for it. But it does work for eye infections?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Willowy. Buying online is your best and cheapest option, and the terramycin will quickly cure the eyes.

Can you call around to see if another vet or shelter will just sell a tube to you without an office visit?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sure, if you already have lysine on hand, a little pinch in their milk or food wouldn't hurt. It doesn't usually give dramatic results though.

Hmm, I didn't know you were in Canada. Do you know of any other kind of antibacterial opthalmic eye ointment or wash that might be available locally? Maybe talk to your pharmacist to see what's available for humans, and then google to see if it's also safe for cats (most eye products are safe for all species).

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, sure, if you already have lysine on hand, a little pinch in their milk or food wouldn't hurt. It doesn't usually give dramatic results though.

Hmm, I didn't know you were in Canada. Do you know of any other kind of antibacterial opthalmic eye ointment or wash that might be available locally? Maybe talk to your pharmacist to see what's available for humans, and then google to see if it's also safe for cats (most eye products are safe for all species).
Well the vet said that adult eye drops were fine to use and we have some on hand so we'll start with that. Hopefully it works!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't Canadian Tire hooked up with Petco? Do you have a CT store nearby? They might have some of the terramycin ointment, unless the Canadian veterinary laws prohibit it.

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn't Canadian Tire hooked up with Petco? Do you have a CT store nearby? They might have some of the terramycin ointment, unless the Canadian veterinary laws prohibit it.
Yeah I'm pretty sure they dont allow it. I think the eye drops are working so I don't think I need it. But thanks anyways!

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The eye drops are working a miracle! His eyes are already clearing up a lot! How long should I keep treating them?

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a question and a picture for you! First the question: feeding the kittens usually takes a little over an hour each feeding, is there anyway to make it go faster. I would feed the milk and soft food in a shallow bowl but they are incredibly messy and get it everywhere. So instead I have to feed them one by one, which takes a long time since there's 5 kittens. And about water, when do I introduce that to them? I did once and they immediately tipped it over and got it everywhere, so I didn't put it back in. Also when can I stop feeding them formula through a syringe? I always put quite a bit in their wet food which they love.

This picture was taken the day before Momma died, she's so beautiful.
IMG_20200429_170918.jpg

I'm not sure when this one was taken.
IMG_20200417_142227.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are all eating wet food well with their formula in it, they shouldn’t need the syringe any longer. Are they all able to eat well? They will need feeding 6 times a day right now (every 4 hours) since they are just barely 5 weeks old.

You should feed them all together. Just set out 2 or 3 plates with their food mixture, and use doggy pee pads underneath for easy cleanup. You still may need to wipe their faces, but they will get less messy as they mature.

They don’t need water right now as they are getting enough moisture from the formula and wet food.

Let us know how this goes! :)

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are all eating wet food well with their formula in it, they shouldn’t need the syringe any longer. Are they all able to eat well? They will need feeding 6 times a day right now (every 4 hours) since they are just barely 5 weeks old.

You should feed them all together. Just set out 2 or 3 plates with their food mixture, and use doggy pee pads underneath for easy cleanup. You still may need to wipe their faces, but they will get less messy as they mature.

They don’t need water right now as they are getting enough moisture from the formula and wet food.

Let us know how this goes! :)
They all eat the wet food except for the smallest, though the last couple feedings he took a few small bites. I will start feeding them all together, stop syringe feeding them, and also bump up their wet food amount. Obviously I'll still syringe feed the smallest one. I really hope they start to get less messy, there's one in particular that gets so messy its everywhere on him.

One question: all the kittens are using the litter box but one, he goes anywhere which makes a big mess. We need him litter trained quickly! Any tips?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can’t force litter training. They have to be ready. Good you are planning to still syringe feed the little one. What is the rush to get them eating and litter trained?

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we really want him to be ready for when he'll be free in the house so that he's not peeing everywhere. But yes you are right that you can't rush it, I'll just be patient.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're just babies still, don't worry. You can put him in the box after every meal, but don't be too pushy or it might scare him. I think letting them make a mess while eating is part of their development, but you can put down a puppy pad or towel first.

I raised one litter who were eating solids, but they started suckling on my arm so I let them have a bottle once or twice a day for the comfort. So just try weaning them off the syringe and see how it goes, but be prepared to bring it back if they need it.